Forbin

Games to pod to

My commute just isn't long enough to go through my podcast subscriptions each week. So I'll spend a lot of my PC time playing through 'casts while playing a game.

The problem is most games are too involved dramatically to allow me to split my focus. Either I'll end up missing out on the experience of the game, or more often a few minutes of the show I'm listening too.

I've found that a lot of puzzle games like Freecell and Tetris are good games to zone out to, and World of Warcraft has been alright when I'm PvPing, farming or doing daily quests.

Does anybody else have any games they find as a good backdrop for dialogue?

When I'm actually playing it (I'm not now), WoW.

Right now, Minecraft. U:

I'll take any excuse to listen to a podcast, even if it means awkwardly alt tabbing, or listening to my Sansa Clip+ which I can pause easily. Some games are definitely built for it though.

I found Just Cause 2 was a decent choice. None of the dialogue is important, and when you're just tooling around causing chaos it's a great time to listen to stuff.

I also listened to most of Idle Thumbs in my second playthrough of ME2 while scanning planets.

A weird one was DeathSpank, once it came down to long traversal sections or light grinding I would pop my headphones on with my sansa. I definitely wanted to catch all the dialogue, so I was pausing a lot.

Light co-operative multiplayer is also a good choice. I've played some Monday Night Combat or Killing floor with randoms with casts playing. I could even see doing it with TF2, but not L4D.

I've mostly been playing Picross, Picross 3D, and the occasional online crossword while listening to podcasts.

Sandbox games or lulls in MMO activity are my usual times.

Cap'n said Just Cause 2, which is great. That's my usual Bombcast partner.

Minecraft

Flying around in low-sec in EVE waiting for a target.

I've gone back to Dwarf Fortress recently, and that's a big podcast sink for me, since as charming as the music is, it's repetetive.

Anything with a good dose of repetition will do. For me, World of Warcraft and Puzzle Quest 2 were great podcasting moments.

I actually have extremely distinct memories of where I was in WoW when I was listening to certain bits of podcast or half-watching a movie. I recall for instance that I was watching The Untouchables while questing in Hellfire Peninsula. So every time I go there now, I think to myself: That's the Chicago way!

I actually have extremely distinct memories of where I was in WoW when I was listening to certain bits of podcast or half-watching a movie. I recall for instance that I was watching The Untouchables while questing in Hellfire Peninsula. So every time I go there now, I think to myself: That's the Chicago way!

Exactly this, I have many musical ties to zones.

While I was playing Final Fantasy XIII there was a point at which I was just grinding up experience, and I went through most of the Out of the Game podcast. So yeah, anything with repetitive action. Also, anything that is traditional multiplayer (ie. no story) is good if you're not playing with people you know and therefore have no real need to communicate.

At the moment I will listen to podcasts any time I'm not doing something that uses the languages centres of my brain. I just listened to part of a You Look Nice Today episode while emptying the dishwasher.

I played a shitload of Bethesda stuff with podcasts in the background... it was kinda nice to avoid fast traveling and wander the plains to the tune of Radiolab or something.

I just hit pause when they start talking about important stuff and I can't make it out, but what I really love to do is listen to chiptune podcasts, because modern game music tends to suck... :oldman:

I spend most of my grinding time in Persona 3 Portable listening to podcasts. Helps the time pass.

minecraft

borderlands

persona 3 portable (especially since it's my third time through p3)

peggle/plants vs zombies/bookworm adventures

just cause 2 when i was still playing it

fallout 3/new vegas

minecraft is the big one though. i have it on pretty much anytime i'm watching a tv show since you can idle and come back at any time pretty much with no penalty

When I'm actually playing it (I'm not now), WoW.

Right now, Minecraft. U:

Ditto. I also listen to podcasts when I'm playing Starcraft 2 online. Which I am, um, also not playing right now. I'm afraid.

Pity really, Blizzard games have really good sound and music, but you get to a point where you play them so much you can just switch on something else.

Also, any sports game.

Minecraft FTW. the game is all but silent if you turn off the music.

Anything that I don't need immersion in. Controversially enough, I can't listen to music or podcasts during Minecraft. I feel the music adds to much to the game, the random quietness, and abrupt ambient music fading in... it ads too much atmosphere for me to drown it out.

Starcraft 2 has really good music in it, but again, it's one of those things that lose its purpose after awhile, especially playing multi-player... it's just not needed. So, Starcraft for me is definitely podcast territory, but only non-competitive ranked games. I focus so much on those I wouldn't even remember the podcast.

So I guess what I am saying is MMOs are the only ones that I could listen to podcasts successfully in. This is only based on looking back and thinking about which games I have played music or podcasts with, games like: Ultima Online, Silkroad Online, Gunbound, Wonderking, Mabinogi.

Turn based things are excellent for this - Total War series for instance. Settlers offers a more relaxed alternative. X-com games too, the first two of which are prennially excellent and one day I will beat those bastard aqualiens in Terror from the Deep.

I listened to The Idle Thumbs Podcast while playing Torchlight.

Obvious pick: listening to the Far Cry 2 episodes of Idle Thumbs while playing Far Cry 2.

Been playing a lot of Bejeweled Blitz Live while trying to burn through podcast backlog.

I heard a grenade rolled down a hill.

This forum-meme is funny to me because I just finished listening to the old 'casts recently and discovered that the story that the grenade rolled down a hill in actually happened in Fallout 3. Misattribution rules! So does inventing words!

This forum-meme is funny to me because I just finished listening to the old 'casts recently and discovered that the story that the grenade rolled down a hill in actually happened in Fallout 3. Misattribution rules! So does inventing words!

Listen to Famous' story at the end of the '10 PAX Prime episode. Burning Down the Wolfman?

I think that's where FC2-grenade-hill happens.

Listen to Famous' story at the end of the '10 PAX Prime episode. Burning Down the Wolfman?

I think that's where FC2-grenade-hill happens.

It's from a considerably earlier episode of the first run of the podcast originally, and I believe Miffy is correct in stating that the story in question was a FO3 tale. I'd have to listen to it again, though.