Gwardinen

Tabletop RPGs

I don't like noise. I'm tired and my head hurts. I don't want to go to school. Five more minutes.

Ok, so who is left who is actively reading this thread? I think there are lots of people that showed interest early, but haven't said anything since then.

Make some noise!

*Clears throat*

Also, I realized if I'm assistant DM'ing I will not be able to play a character. This displeases me, and makes me think that perhaps I should reconsider my stance.

Also, can somebody link me the campaign setting we're using again? I'm afraid I've gotten a bit lost.

So is this actually happening and do you have enough players?

If it is and you don't, I'd like to join. Was interested in this a year ago or so, met up with some random people(2 others) and tried it... it was awkward, really awkward, but I like watching the game, so under the right circumstances I should like playing it right?!

Anyway, let me know, I have an abundance of time this summer.

We have one slot left to fill for a traditional party. (I assume Dan prefers not to have above six, right?) We've been waiting for someone for a few days, so it's pretty much first come, first serve, I suppose.

We lack a Defender type character (the Tank, in traditional RPG terms). So if you're down, look through this thread for how to get a hold of the character creator/Player handbooks, and to get links for info on the setting.

Feel free to shout out questions here, no matter how menial, or PM DanJW, me (and I assume Snoogle, Gwardinen, or other more experienced players).

Yeah 6 is good; 7 at a pinch.

Those who have rolled up characters, please join Obsidian Portal and the Infinite Isles campaign and add your PC there. We'll use that for tracking stuff. If the built-in forums aren't suitable for play then we'll use Myth-weavers.

Some things to think about before we start - are you all going to meet in the first adventure? Or do you know some or all of the party before hand? If so how?

I'm not going to ask everyone to make detailed backgrounds - if you want to then great, we can even work in some NPCs from your past. Otherwise we can discover who each character is and maybe even their history through play. I can find some pointers for those who would like to flesh out the character early.

When we're ready I'll post up a set of guidelines for how we go about it. I've not done play-by-post before so I'm open to suggestions. Then we go!

I'm still up for it if there's still enough space left. I'm familiar with D&D, but I haven't actually played any 4E yet.

My main question is how will the actual game playing occur? I see mentions of play-by-post, but I don't see any definite plans. Or it's possible I missed that part entirely.

And if we need a Defender, I could totally play a fighter or something.

I'm still up for it if there's still enough space left. I'm familiar with D&D, but I haven't actually played any 4E yet.

My main question is how will the actual game playing occur? I see mentions of play-by-post, but I don't see any definite plans. Or it's possible I missed that part entirely.

And if we need a Defender, I could totally play a fighter or something.

From what I'm aware, it's a play by post game with one night a week of live play. I may be wrong, however

I'm in this thing also. Hyperlink comes: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/toblix

So, from which of the infinite isles would a human chaotic sorcerer who lost everything (everything!) typically come from? Humans as a race are spread pretty evenly. Sorcerers are not uncommon, and "arcane magic requires either much study, fey blood or some highly unusual magical incident."

Maybe Beardhat McElectric (name is a work in progress)... lost everything in a highly unusual magical incident!

He shifted to a different universe where he was never born and thus he has... NOTHING!!

Shifting to a different universe is very magical and also VERY UNUSUAL.

Is this dead? I was hoping it wouldnt be, also to get in on it, hehe.

Account up and running, just waiting to hear the news, not like there isn't a ton of games out right now though...but Im excited.

OK lets get this show on the road!

I'll aim to get the first post up at the weekend. In a moment I'll do a quick roll-call to make sure we have a viable party.

Just to remind you guys as you finish everything up, I'm still the only one with an official character in the Obsidian Portal campaign. Everyone who's going to be playing needs an account on OP, needs to ask Dan for an invite and needs to actually make a character page on the campaign at some point before we start.

The only other thing I still need to know is whether the PCs already know each other, or whether I'm going to bring you all together at the start of the game. Or a mix.

Feel free to use the Obsidian Portal forums to discuss stuff. I'll set up the myth-weavers as well so that should give us dice-rolling and realtime chat.

Edited by DanJW

Maybe a mix? Or we should wait to see what the characters are?

Going to create the much needed tank and I hate to do something stereotypical, but would anyone have any opposition to a dragonborn? It's really all dependent on why the characters are all together, so I can take or leave it, but though it would be interesting to work with.

As with the Warforged, I am happy to have Dragonborn in the campaign but I haven't written anything for them yet - I have only the most nebulous ideas about how they fit into the world. So they'd be rare and raise a lot of eyebrows, and we'd work together to develop the race (I like all the races to have more of a culture and a bit of a twist on them from the default PHB description).

I'd say wait and see who the characters are (note you don't have to be all Full Disclosure with each other, just with me). Then if there's a natural fit or an interesting pairing/grouping, hash it out.

After failing to so far illustrate a wooden, musical automaton, I gave in and photoshopped up an island. With some help from cartographers guild tutorials.

That place may yet suck me in. But hey, more maps for you!

I'll keep scribbling away at character sketches because you guys already have my creative juices flowing.

So yeah here have an island!

post-162-13375603390941_thumb.jpg

Ya, I'll just wait and see if I can wedge a dragonborn in there. I figured it might be neat if dragons and dragon born on infinite isle were more a kin to alligators and crocodiles; taking more to the water then the air, if that isn't too far fetched?

Also, I'd love to help out with any illustration since it'd be cool practice

Don't worry Dan, I've already tracked down a pic of a Warforged in a stylish cape and hat that I'm coloring.

As for introduction, it fits if the party finds and activates my character near the beginning.

Oh I wasn't worrying, I just really wanted to draw it ;)

There is another option regards the formation of the party: I could run short individual sessions (or small group for those who know each other) that act as prologues and help your PCs to reach the same place. It might be nice to have a one-to-one practice run for those new to the system and it would give you a bit to talk about when you all meet.

That sounds really cool. Like the best part of Dragon Age: Origins. It will mean yet more work for you, though.

Well, the individual sessions would be really short. A quick bit of scene setting, some choices about where you're going and why, a few rounds of combat. This would allow you to all start in quite different places.

How does everyone else feel about this? It also means that those that are ready can go while the others are still building their characters.