Jake

PAX East 2011?

This is the worst but is it AT ALL possible to move this to Friday? If not, that's cool, but Chris can't make it on Saturday evening.

Let me know! Thanks/sorry.

Sure thing. I just emailed them and hopefully it'll be ok. I'm moving it to 7:30, since the hall closes at 7 on Friday. I'll let you know.

Ok all set. Updated info below:

When: Friday March 11 at 7:30

Where: City Bar in the Westin, which is next to the convention center.

Address: 425 Summer Street, Boston, MA 02210

Who: Me and hopefully you!

I figure we can all meet around 7:15, after the main hall closes, and walk over there as a group. We can all meet up at the north entrance and go from there.

That clashes with the concerts and the Giant Bomb thing, though. :(

I mean, it does if we stay past 9, which I THINK YOU WILL FIND WE WILL because who doesn't love overstaying a welcome?

I'm still coming. Fuck Brad Shoemaker.

So 2 days until the meet, is this just going to be an Idle Forums thing?

Hey Jake, stop making video games for a second and update the Idle Thumbs site. I'm sure Telltale's remake of the Atari classic Haunted House can wait. :P

Haha oh geez, Friday might suck for me. I'll see if I can still make it though.

THIS MAY BE THE STUPIDEST OF QUESTIONS

But would the bar allow anyone slightly under 21 (20)? Since it's a hotel bar, is it a little like that restaurant bar pub-y thing where they don't exactly check? Does anybody even know?

Boston is usually pretty strict about carding people and it's common to have a bouncer at the door during the weekends. But I haven't been to that place so I wouldn't know for sure. I'd give them a call to check.

Thanks everyone who showed up! It was great to hang out with folks on Friday. Thanks also to Marven for setting it up! There were fewer people there this year (probably because we don't do podcasts anymore) but it was especially fun for me since this year had the biggest quotient of actual Thumbs alumni -- Chris, Steve, Me, David (Metallus), Spaff, and Marek. If Nick had made it (sadly he couldn't due to a Bethesda party) it would have been the first time the people who started Idle Thumbs were all in the same room as the people who regularly did the podcast. A near miss for worthless-beyond-being-personally-meaningful-to-me history, but an extremely fun time all around.

Sorry we weren't able to squeeze out a PAX cast. We never had high hopes of one happening which is why nothing was ever said. The timing never worked out -- almost all of us somehow have jobs now which actually cross over with doing things at PAX.

Unrelated to Thumbs in particular: Big thanks to any Thumbs listeners who went to the Poker Night panel. It was awesome, and slightly flattering, to see familiar faces from the meet-up also appear there to hear us say a bunch of crap about that, too!

Yeah, special thanks to Marven. It was fun.

Hanging around and shooting the shit with people is the best part of these types of events.

Congrats Nick. (Actually, I feel sorry for Nick because that event was reportedly a huge clusterfuck, so he probably had to deal with a lot of impatient people.)

Echoing Jake's sentiments -- it was great to see everyone and I'm sorry I scooted after about 15 minutes. Got myself a lil' taste of the Boston Botulism: aka food poisoning. Also apologies if you were a Thumb at the Westin who had to hear me puke in the public bathroom.

It's mind blowing how great everyone who listens to the cast is -- having only contributed for a short time, I really can't believe the outpouring of generosity from anyone I meet in the real world who has heard the cast. Thanks so much, guys and gals.

Echoing Jake's sentiments -- it was great to see everyone and I'm sorry I scooted after about 15 minutes. Got myself a lil' taste of the Boston Botulism: aka food poisoning. Also apologies if you were a Thumb at the Westin who had to hear me puke in the public bathroom.

It's mind blowing how great everyone who listens to the cast is -- having only contributed for a short time, I really can't believe the outpouring of generosity from anyone I meet in the real world who has heard the cast. Thanks so much, guys and gals.

Post more on the forums, Vanamanan 'Famous' Bandanaman.

Post more on the forums, Vanamanan 'Famous' Bandanaman.

It is my post-PAX resolution.

I have hopes to make it to PAX prime, hope there will be a meetup there too.

I do too, except it costs around £1000 for flights alone, and Lord knows where I'd stay. I'm going to ask if anyone I know is going (Spaff probably will be, I'll ask him) and cheapest deals etc.

It was lovely to meet everyone, and put faces to names. I hope to be able to make PAX Prime one of these years, too!

Aside to Famous: after spending most of last year's PAX East in my hotel room vomiting, I carry chewable Pepto-Bismol with me whenever I head north of the Mason–Dixon Line.

As usual, people at the meet were the coolest. Thanks for showing up! It was nice to have a relaxing evening after working behind the booth all day.

Thanks everyone who showed up! It was great to hang out with folks on Friday. Thanks also to Marven for setting it up! There were fewer people there this year (probably because we don't do podcasts anymore) but it was especially fun for me since this year had the biggest quotient of actual Thumbs alumni -- Chris, Steve, Me, David (Metallus), Spaff, and Marek. If Nick had made it (sadly he couldn't due to a Bethesda party) it would have been the first time the people who started Idle Thumbs were all in the same room as the people who regularly did the podcast. A near miss for worthless-beyond-being-personally-meaningful-to-me history, but an extremely fun time all around.

Sorry we weren't able to squeeze out a PAX cast. We never had high hopes of one happening which is why nothing was ever said. The timing never worked out -- almost all of us somehow have jobs now which actually cross over with doing things at PAX.

Unrelated to Thumbs in particular: Big thanks to any Thumbs listeners who went to the Poker Night panel. It was awesome, and slightly flattering, to see familiar faces from the meet-up also appear there to hear us say a bunch of crap about that, too!

That was a rad panel, by the way. And these posters are awesome!

Pretty awesome bar night, those 3 or so hours flew by fast.

I'm the 6'6" guy btw. Although I eventually introduced myself, Jake's staring down technique did scare away a few other people (or so I heard while in line for the Poker Night panel.)

And also:

s640x480

Lord.

I'm the 6'6" guy btw. Although I eventually introduced myself, Jake's staring down technique did scare away a few other people (or so I heard while in line for the Poker Night panel.)

That's Jake's "thing."

Haha, Jake did try to stare us down pretty hard. I was the red-haired guy with Apocrypha.

Also, we came across Weinhändler in the tabletop freeplay area and had to try it. That game is great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you guys think the Idle Thumbs meet-ups will continue in the future if you all are at conventions, or will they stop since you're not currently making the podcast?

Haha, Jake did try to stare us down pretty hard. I was the red-haired guy with Apocrypha.

Also, we came across Weinhändler in the tabletop freeplay area and had to try it. That game is great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you guys think the Idle Thumbs meet-ups will continue in the future if you all are at conventions, or will they stop since you're not currently making the podcast?

I totally played some Weinhändler as well, with 3 random dudes, one who happened to also listen to Idle Thumbs.

Nothing can stop the natural agglutination of nerds.