Tanukitsune

"Auntie Pixelante" VS. Jim Sterling... MisandryVs. misogyny?

The other day a friend of Auntie Pixelante made, well... the only way to describe is a hateful NSFW image of Jim Sterling... I don't know if he ego surfed for himself or someone linked to it, but Jim Sterling found out.... and said it was rather sad to see what some of his haters do...

Then the flame war began...

I'd hate to say it, but posting such a thing to begin with makes the girl a troll... And while I don't follow this girl, I'm a fan of Auntie Pixelante and I've seen this girls LJ and Twitter before this all happened... She's no sweet innocent girl, that I can tell you...

The thing is... Auntie Pixelante intervened and found Jim the biggest misogynist in the world... sure he used very sexist language, but this is Jim Sterling, he's an "equal opportunist hater" and will make crass jokes about anything...

I'd hate to say but I have to pick Jim Sterling's side, Jim only called her sexist terms because she was female, if she had been short he would have called her a disgusting dwarf... it's what he does! Many of you think he's a troll, some of you think he's a cannibal troll and a few of you think he's a genius... for a being a cannibal troll?

Auntie Pixelante started a crusade to get Jim fired... I'm sorry... where was she when Jim made all those pedophilia jokes? You can't claim to be the harbinger of anit-misogyny when you only react when you've been personally attacked... You can't go to a comedy show with an offensive comedian and laugh at most of his and then get offended and ask for him to get fired when one of his jokes hits home...

It get's worse.... they've created a joke twitter account of JOM STROLING making misogynistic comments... does that sound like something reasonable people do?

They tried to get Felicia day on their side, but the neglected the fact that the girl started it and HOW she started it...

The worst part? ANNA ANTHROPY WON'T LISTEN! Unless you tell "her" Jim deserves to die like the pig he is, she'll treat you as badly as Jim, no matter how calmly and logical you try to be...

I know most of you hate Jim's guts and I love Anna Anthopy /Auntie Pixelante, but... I have to takes Jim's side... Jim might be a troll, but at least he's acting like an adult troll, while Anna and her friends are acting like children...

Damn, I'm practically a bit misandrist and quite a philogynist, but serious... ANNA NEEDS TO TAKE A CHILL PILL! You can't punch a pit bull and then said it needs to be killed because it bit you, dammit!

I'm almost disgusted to see her try to get Jim fired because her friend couldn't handle the flame war she started... And like I said, Anna and her friends are telling other about the "attack" and they're not telling the important parts, like how she trolled Jim with the hateful NSFW art and how she's sweared twice as much as Jim...

That's it.... I assume I'll now be flamed by the Jim haters... *puts on blindfold*

The other day a friend of Auntie Pixelante made, well... the only way to describe is a hateful NSFW image of Jim Sterling... I don't know if he ego surfed for himself or someone linked to it, but Jim Sterling found out.... and said it was rather sad to see what some of his haters do...

Then the flame war began...

I'd hate to say it, but posting such a thing to begin with makes the girl a troll... And while I don't follow this girl, I'm a fan of Auntie Pixelante and I've seen this girls LJ and Twitter before this all happened... She's no sweet innocent girl, that I can tell you...

The thing is... Auntie Pixelante intervened and found Jim the biggest misogynist in the world... sure he used very sexist language, but this is Jim Sterling, he's an "equal opportunist hater" and will make crass jokes about anything...

I'd hate to say but I have to pick Jim Sterling's side, Jim only called her sexist terms because she was female, if she had been short he would have called her a disgusting dwarf... it's what he does! Many of you think he's a troll, some of you think he's a cannibal troll and a few of you think he's a genius... for a being a cannibal troll?

Auntie Pixelante started a crusade to get Jim fired... I'm sorry... where was she when Jim made all those pedophilia jokes? You can't claim to be the harbinger of anit-misogyny when you only react when you've been personally attacked... You can't go to a comedy show with an offensive comedian and laugh at most of his and then get offended and ask for him to get fired when one of his jokes hits home...

It get's worse.... they've created a joke twitter account of JOM STROLING making misogynistic comments... does that sound like something reasonable people do?

They tried to get Felicia day on their side, but the neglected the fact that the girl started it and HOW she started it...

The worst part? ANNA ANTHROPY WON'T LISTEN! Unless you tell "her" Jim deserves to die like the pig he is, she'll treat you as badly as Jim, no matter how calmly and logical you try to be...

I know most of you hate Jim's guts and I love Anna Anthopy /Auntie Pixelante, but... I have to takes Jim's side... Jim might be a troll, but at least he's acting like an adult troll, while Anna and her friends are acting like children...

Damn, I'm practically a bit misandrist and quite a philogynist, but serious... ANNA NEEDS TO TAKE A CHILL PILL! You can't punch a pit bull and then said it needs to be killed because it bit you, dammit!

I'm almost disgusted to see her try to get Jim fired because her friend couldn't handle the flame war she started... And like I said, Anna and her friends are telling other about the "attack" and they're not telling the important parts, like how she trolled Jim with the hateful NSFW art and how she's sweared twice as much as Jim...

That's it.... I assume I'll now be flamed by the Jim haters... *puts on blindfold*

Jim Sterling is a piece of shit and I would gladly punch him in the face if I didn't expect to catch something from doing so.

I'm not a huge fan of Jim Sterling, to be honest. He's a bit crass for my taste, but on occasion he does bring up a good point, or make a funny remark. As comedians are wont to do. I think he lost any support from me after the Two Worlds II bit, though.

That said, looking over some of the stuff that has gone on over this (not very deep yet, not sure I want to be). . .Well, internet. What're you going to do.

215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

Except they're not really anonymous are they. . .

I absolutely agree that Anna's girlfriend (@daphaknee, if I'm not mistaken) was the one to provoke this, and don't feed the trolls etc. However, "he does it all the time" is not a valid excuse for saying something offensive. (Neither is "someone else did it first".)

I tend to tune out the Jim Sterling Noise Machine for the most part, but I still find myself getting annoyed when he makes remarks like that, and I'm a hard person to offend.

Heck, me and my friends will sometime make extremely offensive jokes, but only in the company of ourselves, where everyone knows that it's purely in jest, and no one will be hurt by it. It's something else, in my opinion, to shout out terms like that in a public forum, even if it is the internet.

Either way, the best to have come out of this is the discovery of www.fatuglyorslutty.com

Speaking of internet personalities and offensive terms, what are peoples take on the whole Dickwolves debackle?

Speaking of internet personalities and offensive terms, what are peoples take on the whole Dickwolves debackle?

Mildly amusing until the "We could come over and kill all your families" remark. Now. . .ten-foot pole and carpet bombing?

I have to admit to continued amazement that people don't understand that PA is run by two guys that aren't really hindered if they want to say something like that.

I absolutely agree that Anna's girlfriend (@daphaknee, if I'm not mistaken) was the one to provoke this, and don't feed the trolls etc. However, "he does it all the time" is not a valid excuse for saying something offensive. (Neither is "someone else did it first".)

Agreed entirely. If he was being anti-Semitic or some other flavor of racist, nobody would buy "he does it all the time" as a valid defense, except for other racists. "Oh, he's just always a Jew-basher and calls people niggers!" would hold no water, for instance.

http://twitter.com/nickbreckon/status/32924303615856641

These people FOLLOW Jim on Twitter, it's what haters do apparently...

If you go to a comedy club to watch an offensive comedian, you can't complain that his show is offensive!

Jim reminds of bit a comedian from New York called Keith Mailey, he's crude, he'll make jokes about God, cripples, atheist, nothing is safe from him... but every once in a while he'll get a letter from fan saying he's offended by his "N" jokes.... and then say how much they loved the cripple joke!

If you watch a monkey fling poo at others, you can't complain if he notices you and starts flinging in your direction...

Am I the only one who thinks you can make jokes about awful things without actually believing in them? :erm:

I listen to comedy shows and many comedians have "characters" or are simply pretty nice people (or not total jerks)...

I've met webcartoonists in person who do the most awful cartoons... and they were pretty nice people!

I'm not saying Jim is a nice person, but just because he makes sexists jokes doesn't make him sexist...

How come making sexist jokes makes you misogynist, but making rape jokes doesn't make you a rapist? People will say you're a horrible person, but they don't call you a rapist?

How come making sexist jokes makes you misogynist, but making rape jokes doesn't make you a rapist? People will say you're a horrible person, but they don't call you a rapist?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. :grin::grin:

I read over this thing yesterday and I felt damn embarrassed for the both of them. I would be deeply ashamed of myself. That's about it.

I am so glad that we all agree here. This is why Idle Thumbs maybe deserves to live.

Some more.

Often.

Not that Destructoid is any kind of alternative to the Thumbs or anything. Even people who are sometimes right turn out to be disappointing turd-humans in the filed of the great misnomer that is video game journalism.

Maybe I chose my wording poorly...:blink:

How about... How come there seems to be no difference between a person who tells offensive jokes and a person who is offensive?

What I'm trying to saying is that saying horrible things doesn't necessarily make you a horrible person?

I have the sinking feeling that "action speaks louder than words" is no longer true seeing how many people lives have changed for the worse for saying something "not nice"...

Well if you say something like "All (insert ethnic or sociopolitical group) should fuck off over the side of a cliff" you're probably not a great person to begin with. Yeah, I make off-color jokes, but only around people I trust implicitly to understand that I'm not actually a complete douchepuppet.

Plus, I think tolerance is down in this day and age. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't really know. But people seem to be a lot touchier at times.

Well if you say something like "All (insert ethnic or sociopolitical group) should fuck off over the side of a cliff" you're probably not a great person to begin with. Yeah, I make off-color jokes, but only around people I trust implicitly to understand that I'm not actually a complete douchepuppet.

Plus, I think tolerance is down in this day and age. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't really know. But people seem to be a lot touchier at times.

I might have missed humor 101, but I don't even see how that is a joke?

True.... we seem to be touchier and... more tolerant at the same time?

We can watch the most violent cartoons and not flinch, but if you push the right button we will go bonkers... It's kinda scary... :blink:

From the look of it, both are immature, gutteral people whom I wouldn't want near me. John Gabriel's Great Internet Dickwad Theory indeed.

PA's dickwolves joke was funny though, and not really about rape, but whatever.

More poorly phrased stuff from my corner, I guess.

What I mean is, if you're a violent (and I don't mean physically, I mean extensively and oppressively) idiot and say things that just are simply offensive, trying to mask them as humor. . .well, who's to say you don't actually think those things?

Common bloody sense, for the most part.

It's like Hermie brought up with the PA Dickwolves debacle. It's obviously a joke. Mike and Jerry are obviously not adverse to saying things that could possibly be rendered as offensive. But it's not. It's very much comedy, it's very much something that, to paraphrase Jerry, is "so removed from reality that we couldn't imagine anyone taking it seriously"

But that leads back to the "people are a lot easier to rile these days" issue.

"Raped to sleep by dickwolves" is obviously not real. It's obviously not "pro rape" is you have half a brain. But either as a result of people being idiots these days, or the social norms being off kilter, that throws some people into a frothing rage.

;( I really don't know what to tell you. The populace of the world has some frighteningly naive, stupid and foolish people. And most of them seem to have access to the internet.

More poorly phrased stuff from my corner, I guess.

What I mean is, if you're a violent (and I don't mean physically, I mean extensively and oppressively) idiot and say things that just are simply offensive, trying to mask them as humor. . .well, who's to say you don't actually think those things?

Common bloody sense, for the most part.

It's like Hermie brought up with the PA Dickwolves debacle. It's obviously a joke. Mike and Jerry are obviously not adverse to saying things that could possibly be rendered as offensive. But it's not. It's very much comedy, it's very much something that, to paraphrase Jerry, is "so removed from reality that we couldn't imagine anyone taking it seriously"

But that leads back to the "people are a lot easier to rile these days" issue.

"Raped to sleep by dickwolves" is obviously not real. It's obviously not "pro rape" is you have half a brain. But either as a result of people being idiots these days, or the social norms being off kilter, that throws some people into a frothing rage.

;( I really don't know what to tell you. The populace of the world has some frighteningly naive, stupid and foolish people. And most of them seem to have access to the internet.

Maybe I'm too positive, because I don't see most people on the internet as awful people... they might be 14 year old or people that act like like 14 year olds...

Heck, I even think most of the people of ED and 4chan will be "normal" once they grow up a little...

I think the main problem with the world is that... while the world is not rainbows and unicorns... it's not all piss and vinegar...

You can meet thousands of people in one day, but you'll remember only the ones who either did something bad to you or something good to you...

For every person who yelled at you, there was 1000 who didn't, they didn't compliment you, but they didn't insult you either...

And... am I derailing my own thread? Frankly I'm pretty sure we'd rather talk about this than two immature trolls...:mock:

No, no! Don't get me wrong. I've met some astoundingly nice, and thought and friendship provoking people on these here intrawebs.

But there does seem to be a large contingent of useless dunderheads.

It's all about context, innit? Like I alluded to before, I've said despicable things to my friends, when I was sure I was in the boundaries of not offending anyone present. The same goes for stand-up comedians, your expectation is that he will say something people wouldn't normally say (after all, comedy is based on subverting the expected). In both cases, you are well enough informed to know that the source is not being geniune.

Ideally, with Jim Sterling, he is an adult with a semi-public profession, and part of his job is, in fact, his opinion. Granted, in his particular case, he subverts these qualities on every possible level, but the point still stands. Since he's not standing in a comedy club, it's unclear on whether his statements are genuine or not, and thus they can appear hurtful to people.

I guess my point is, it doesn't matter if he's joking or not, OR if he's even a misogynist or not, because he still said words and phrases that others perceive as hateful.

This is also why I'm OK with the PA strip; in addition to not even being close to saying that "rape is okay" or anything like that, it was clearly put in a context of comedy, and is clearly separate from the actual feelings of the creators.

Ideally, you don't pretend to shove plasticine figures up your ass. And he's a bit of a dick even before that. I just don't like the fellow, for the most part.

But yeah. Context is king, as much as that makes me sound like a self-help writer.

There are countless fields of knowledge nowadays, just because they don't what you know doesn't make them stupid, and just because they made one mistake doesn't mean they make mistakes all the time...

If the people were as stupid as everybody else seems to think they are and as useless as they think they are... Civilization would have ended long ago....

I'm pretty sure the flame war between these two trolls was taken out of context...

They were both equally hurtful... But people only seem to remember what Jim said...:blink:

They both deserve a visit from the Dickwolves tonight.

I dare not guess who'd be more unnerved by that, of the two.

The literal conversation is right there. I don't see what is out of context about it. I think most of us here agree that both were acting like idiots and neither one of them is in the "right" and neither need defending. Jim Sterling might not be sexist, but he used specific words that are generally used to put women down.

Other than that, I totally agree with you, Hermie.

They both deserve a visit from the Dickwolves tonight.

I dare not guess who'd be more unnerved by that, of the two.

Mwahaha-- I mean, that's offensive, rapist supporter. :hah:

Douchepuppet will be my word'o'the week. Thanks Orvidos :tup::woohoo::tup:

You can be my douchepuppet anytime. :eyebrow::kiss: