Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

By the time I needed the greater shards, it would just spend my 10-20k souls on that when I didn't have enough to level up. I haven't had to farm chunks because uh, I had to fight a lot of the enemies who drop them.

I discovered on my last playthrough that I really didn't need to grind for shards at all to get my weapon to +15, and I didn't bother upgrading anything else -- The crestfallen knight and giant blacksmith both sell large titanite, and if you go down to New Londo there's nearly enough chunks in chests and stuff and even without grinding the darkwraiths will probably drop the last couple you need. The real pain in the ass is getting a slab, which requires going back to the undead asylum or something. Well, I wasn't doing a SL1 run though, so I had enough endurance that I could stack on Havel's, which is un-upgradeable anyway, and still have a mid-roll. I should try doing a SL1 run: If I still can't get DS3 working in a week or two maybe I'll stream it.

Hold the PHONE - the Crestfallen Knight sells large shards? I did not know this. I didn't think he sold anything at all, that wastrel.

If you stream that I'll absolutely tune in.

My issue is that I'll want a +10 fire club and a +5 lightning club, a really solid shield (upgraded Balder probably) and I guess I'll probably need at least a +6 or 7 somethingorother just to get far enough in the game to get the embers. Also, I've completely forgotten where everything is and who sells what. It's a really nice feeling truth be told, not quite going in fresh but not going through the motions either. I'm at the parish now with 8k souls, MAY need to grind a bit for the shield but hopefully not. 

Edit: Those gargoyles wish they'd kept playing dead.

Oh, sorry, Crestfallen merchant. He's also a knight, or at least looks like one, so that's confusing, but two different characters.

And yeah, if you really want a good standard shield that gets a bit tricky. Personally, since I never parry, if I really want a good shield I usually just use stone shield.

I was really confused by everyone talking about the gaping dragon that I hadn't met yet until I realised it's in the Depths, which I just sequence broke and skipped. Even now I don't wanna go back down in case I end up being cursed.

I did the same thing. The Capra demon was so hard I just assumed I'd went the wrong way.

I did know I was skipping the Capra and going through Blight town backwards, I just found it easier than fighting Capra. I have since beaten him but just not ventured into the Depths.

Ah, it was my first time playing and the little bit I did know, about not going down toward the skeletons, put me in the mindset of "if it seems way too hard, you're going the wrong way." It wasn't until I hit the Valley of Drakes that I realized that I might have screwed myself and took a brief look at a guide.

I had a moment like that too with the Anor Londo archers. "Is this REALLY the way I'm supposed to be going...?"

I think it's kind of cool that they made you take weird roundabout routes to get in, so it feels like you're kind of sneaking into the realm of the gods, but having it be both a weird way to get in AND heavily defended made that pretty confusing for me.

The depths aren't that bad. I understand that curses used to be much more of a problem before some patch, but they were never a problem for me.

The curses in the depths aren't bad, and provide some practice for later zones when it's a much bigger concern.

Curse isn't too bad as long as you know how to handle it, it's just that if you don't know any better the game tells you to go to ghost city when you get cursed rather than just buying a purging stone from oswald or the moss merchant.

Curse almost made me quit the game, but then I found myself in Problem Machine's Dark Souls stream and he told me about Oswald. What a stand-up guy. Then I discovered you can make it from the depths to blighttown without ever encountering curse. 

Not sure if you’ve made it past the Gaping Dragon yet, but I have a good general tip for fighting him that has always served me well as a general rule for many big bad things in the Souls games:

Don’t use the lock on. Sprint around the back of the thing and attack its back/haunches/tail. It’ll try to keep turning to face you, but as long as you aren’t locked on (i.e. you aren't strafing/side-rolling) it will make it a lot harder for its attacks to track you. A swiping weapon will help your attacks connect if you keep missing.

Of course, when he does any of his AoE stuff, or when he flies up in the air and tries to crush you, just run like hell. :)

The above actually works remarkably well as a general rule for many bosses and large enemies in the Souls games. For some reason, four-legged (and tall two-legged) creatures in these worlds are a lot less trouble if you get as close as possible and try to get ‘under’ their attacks. The key thing is that you won't be harmed by actually touching the monster if they aren't attacking.

I did beat him! After taking a detour to do other things, I came back and beat him very easily. Dark Souls!

Now I'm in Blighttown and have been for a long while, making runs where I get invaded and manage to build up 30,000+ souls... and then lose them all by getting pushed off cliffs by seemingly random adds. It's discouraging. Dark Souls.

I was heavily procrastinating yesterday (I know it's the weekend but I needed to work on a paper), and somehow managed to beat 5 bosses in one day in a matter of a few hours. Why are there so many bosses thrown at you in such a short space in the Demon Ruins? One of those bosses I beat was the boss of the Catacombs, however, which I now realise was relatively easy because it was possible that the player might find it early on in the game. I somehow didn't find the link between Catacombs and the zone it leads into, which is why I just warped out and explored the Demon Ruins instead. I killed the three bosses there with relative ease, and found myself in the next zone, and highly enjoyed the boss fight there! I went online and found out that everybody despises it. Sorry I don't know how to do spoiler stuff on this forum, I think just mentioning names of places is fine, but I don't want to name bosses, because that's more heavy into spoiler territory.

tags will hide spoilers.

Is that the final final boss of the Demon Ruins? I thought it was great. I did it last, it ended up being fittingly anticlimactic but felt very true to the story.

I'm referring to

Bed of Chaos

It was a very different fight, and I'm glad I persisted and didn't look up guides on how to beat it. Looking back on it, each of the

four Lord Soul boss fights

had something rather different to it and I approached them very differently to how I've approached every other boss, which I kinda just tackled the same way. I highly enjoyed the variety that the game threw at me nearing its end. I believe I now have only the DLC and the final zone to go through. 

Oh yeah, you should know that the game ends and immediately goes to NG+ when you beat the last boss, so you should do any other optional stuff you want to get done before you do that or you'll have to play through at least half the game again to do so.

I was heavily procrastinating yesterday (I know it's the weekend but I needed to work on a paper), and somehow managed to beat 5 bosses in one day in a matter of a few hours. Why are there so many bosses thrown at you in such a short space in the Demon Ruins?

Basically the development process had to be rushed for that part of the game due to money constraints, which is why there's not much to the areas.

I beat Dark Souls last night! Last boss was a bit of a pushover because I cheated and looked up how to ensure I could summon my NPC bro for the fight. I really enjoyed the boss fights in the DLC a lot, very varied and interesting enemies packed into a neat little bundle. I actually missed a few storylines the first time so I think I'll eventually do a NG+, but definitely going to take a bit of a break from it after playing through most of the game in the past two weeks.

Well done! Glad you enjoyed the DLC - I always get a thrill going in to fight Artorias.

I was having a tough time of it with my zweihander in Darkroot Forest t'other day. Came up from past the hydra, slew many walking trees, then got buggered up by the magician and his burly defender. 2nd attempt I killed the trees again for the sake of security, then followed the cliff anticlockwise towards the archer. She managed to kite me close enough to the bandit that he was aggroed, but by playing fairly carefully I drew him to the cliff and he rolled off by himself, as I thought he would. Back to the archer and she pulled me back still further into the cleric, but I killed her before he could kill me.

I breath a very deep sigh and go to work for several hours.

As soon as I'm home I try again;same basic tactic but - praise Jebus! - the archer doesn't respawn. Parry kill bandit, do the same to the barbarian and the zwei guy, then with an evil glint in my eye, hammer the magician into the ground. Go to bed satisfied!

Love that area. Fundamentally a big arena with pairs of enemies whose strengths cover the weaknesses of the other. Also I realise that the AI is actually following a few simple patterns, but it does vary quite a bit based on the enemy and does a good job of throwing off my chi, so to speak

A chunk of the Dark Souls community has organized "Global Reset Day," a day when a ton of people will be starting new characters and flooding the multiplayer with activity:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/4n9cng/global_restart_day_is_tomorrow_june_10th_reminder/

It's a good opportunity to get back into the game if you bounced off or even encourage new players, as there will (hopefully) be a ton of summons available. I'll be Sunbro-ing the Undead Burg/Parish on PC, helping people through the starting areas.

This has also brought to my attention a couple recent PC mods that bring some nice improvements. There's Wulf2K's Connectivity Mod, which provides some more robust multiplayer features, including direct player seeking, a favorites list, and some general node connection monitoring. And there's eur0pa's PVP Watchdog, an add-on that monitors for possible equipment/level/stat discrepancies and blocks a lot of the prevalent curse/debuff/etc. cheats that jerks like to use.

Man, that sounds fun. I'd absolutely love to replay. Shame I can't access DS currently thanks to my poop computer.

Started in on a SL1 run today. Went real smooth right up until Quelaag, who took me 15 tries or so... partially because I forgot to grab the large ember or upgrade my estus, so instead of having a +7 weapon and +1 estus I had +5 and +0. In a couple of days I'll resume and get Capra and move on to Sens. I'll probably start uploading to youtube sometime here and will post about it here.