Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

I wish you'd help me through SotFS instead, Bjorn! In some areas I'm kind of struggling to find phantoms.

What's your SM at?  I've done what I always do and have a variety of characters at different points of progression.  I'm just bouncing around between DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne randomly right now because it's fascinating to compare the three. 

My roll timing in DS1 is atrocious.  It's just different enough from DS2 that I have a hell of a time dodging shit.  But my backstab skills have massively improved. 

Weird, I'll try it again then. I attacked it a few times without any damage showing up, then I got stuck on geometry and stopped for the day.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that. For some reason that thing's health bar doesn't show up when you hit it, and it has a fairly large amount of health. It will take a bit of time without any real feedback, but it can die.

It's worth mentioning that Demon Souls is one of the games on sale for Golden Week on the PS3. It's definitely worth playing for $7

Past week or so I've been really wanting to play this again for reasons I can't quite explain.

I even have Demon's Souls now and Dark Souls 2 that I've never played and I don't really feel like I'm finished with Bloodborne yet but still the strongest urge I feel is Dark Souls 1.

EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

(None of this matters because the new Dota 2 patch will be live soon and one of my main Dota 2 pals is now done with exams and school and so that'll be my life for a while.)

it was ];

I almost never replay games, though. But I guess when they're good enough.

Past week or so I've been really wanting to play this again for reasons I can't quite explain.

I even have Demon's Souls now and Dark Souls 2 that I've never played and I don't really feel like I'm finished with Bloodborne yet but still the strongest urge I feel is Dark Souls 1.

EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

(None of this matters because the new Dota 2 patch will be live soon and one of my main Dota 2 pals is now done with exams and school and so that'll be my life for a while.)

It might be this:

Was it your first? I hear you never forget your first.

But I like deluding myself that it's not and that Dark Souls is actually special. A decade from now I think it'll still be a game that gets talked about.

I dunno I honestly prefer Bloodborne in almost all the ways (farming for blood vials being the number one reason I don't, now that loading screens are better).

I'm not sure I've gone more than 3-4 months since first playing Demon's Souls that I haven't played one of these games.  I get an itch to play one or the other for different reasons.  If I ever become one of those people who just play one game (or game series) it will be the Souls games.  

Also part of it is that when I originally played Dark Souls I'm pretty sure it was during that period when my CPU wasn't seated properly and so everything was being constantly throttled and it wasn't running optimally. So maybe this time I can play with Better Gfx.

So I played some Dark Souls tonight after all. Made it to Firelink Shrine and then forgot where to go and couldn't find where to go because I'm dumb...

holy shit that run animation looks so bad haha wow

My whatnow?

Your Soul Memory, what DS2 uses to do matchmaking, the total number of souls your character has collected.  On your stats screen, it's one of the stats at the very top.  There are Soul Memory tiers, and each type of multiplayer can connect up and down a certain number of tiers.

I should have someone in that range, if not I can rush someone there, I've still got new builds I want to make.  I'm assuming you're on PC?  If so, add bjorndadwarf.  I should be on some over the weekend.  Where are you stuck at? 

Just realized we're in the Dark Souls thread!  I'm going to move this over to the DS2 thread, since it makes more sense there.

I have continued replaying this and I'm using the estoc and crest shield and pyromancy although I think I'd like to get a different weapon I'm not sure.

I helped a naked red dude with a giant sword fight the bell gargoyles last night. He clearly didn't need help. I tried to help someone else. We got invaded and I died. That was the first PvP I've ever actually done in a Souls game. He blew me up with fire when I was on a ladder. X: I'm pretty sure I backstabbed him once but it just didn't trigger. I know I was in the right position. Lag I guess. Oh well.

So I've re-organised my backlog into the games that I really feel I should have played right now, and guess what game bubbled to the top of the list.

I'm... god I don't know how far through I am, but I've rung both bells and just now acquired a divine weapon. I'm using a dexterity/sorcery build (which made the Butterfly trivial) except I also got a gargoyle tail axe (which is the best because it provides increased defence against poison and toxin that improves as you reinforce it, extremely helpful for Blighttown).

I'm in a position where I feel like I'm overlevelled (despite several instances of losing quite a lot of souls), and I've got a lot of places to go. I want to try and take out that pesky dragon on the Parish Bridge (it's become wise to my games and flies off when I try and attack it from behind) but my bow's pretty wimpy. There's an area of the Darkroot Garden I didn't visit, there's the Darkroot Basin, there's probably stuff in New Londo Ruins, there's the Catacombs, Sen's Fortress, and I'm sure there's something going on in the Valley of Drakes but I don't like the look of that drake.

I would suggest clearing out all of Darkroot, there's some useful stuff there (not know what you may have missed, it can be a coinflip on if it's anything you need or not). 

I'd save the Catacombs for later.  You're completely capable of doing them right now, but you'll save yourself some backtracking if you wait. 

You probably can handle exploring Valley of the Drakes if you really want?  It's not strictly necessary at this point though.  If you try a drake and get your ass kicked, it can always wait.

Save New Londo for later (I fucking hate New Londo). 

Sen's Fortress is by far the most important location though, head there after clearing out as much of Darkroot and the Valley as you want. 

I loved New Londo, it's proper freaky, and has some really cool enemies. Plus I loved/hated that the ghosts actually acted like ghosts and were able to move through walls. Frustrating but so many games have ghosts just as normal creatures.

There's a big glowy gate in the way halfway through Darkroot Garden, and because I've done some light spoiling I'm pretty sure I'll need to go through there for items that will be excellent for my build (because I'm not seeing too much resistance just yet and I know that if I'm in the right area I should be). I'm avoiding maps and spoilers about what enemies I'll find, but there are a few items I'm really looking forward to replacing, so I'm looking forward to where I can find replacements for those.

Actually that's a question: given that I'm treating Dex and Int as equal priority, I'm thinking of acquiring an Uchigatana and trying to enchant it to magic +10. Is this going to work out as well as I'm expecting, or does splitting the damage like this cause problems I'm not aware of?

I think once you start to upgrade, you want to go with the best scaling stat. Magic uchi kind of makes the sword pointless because it goes from one of the best Dex scaling weapons to a poor dex and int scaling weapon. 

Going another route 

enchanted

means you have higher magic scaling, but it completely abolishes the Dex. 

Really, the best way to do it (I think), is get the minimum stat required to wield something, then pump the best scaling stat as high as you can. There are some weapons that scale well with str/dex but I don't think dex/int.

Unless of course you want to use magic and a high scaling Dex weapon, but that will really make your other important stats - Vit and End suffer. For a first run it's probably best to have a lot of Vit and End.

Edit: That's a rambling answer, if it's not clear say so.

Since no one else has said it, it's not worth it to try and take out the Bridge Wyvern. You have to cheese it unless you wear a bunch of special equipment, it's not a fun or challenging fight, and you only get 10,000 souls from it, which is chump change by the time that you're high enough level to try and kill it. If you're a maniac, like me, then wait until you're near the end of the game and fill him full of 150-damage arrows, but until then, give it a pass, for real.

Really, the best way to do it (I think), is get the minimum stat required to wield something, then pump the best scaling stat as high as you can. There are some weapons that scale well with str/dex but I don't think dex/int.

The best are maybe Magic Falchion, Velka's Rapier, and Painted Guardian Sword. The rapier is the best on paper, but Dark Souls is almost always more about the moveset, anyway. None of them are stupendous, certainly not compared to getting forty dexterity behind an S-ranked weapon, but a lot of your damage is coming from spells if you're boosting intelligence, too, so it's not a wash by any means.