Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

You could own DS on GFWL and not on Steam, so I would assume that save transfers would be tied to that, and not if you own it on Steam.  No matter what though, this is good news!

I love playing both games around this actor friend of mine who's taken plenty of stage combat classes because all the rolling drives him nuts. In medieval combat, the advantage is entirely to the person who's upright with their weapon raised, so the idea of rolling around to avoid attacks is anathema. Of course, once I got him into the game last month, he's been rolling with the best of them, so that speaks to the charm of the combat anyway.

Have you seen those people that practice "Western Sword Fighting" based on old sword fighting for dummies texts. It's so different to how it's portrayed on a screen. Just looks weird and awkward.

Obviously they could just be doing it all completely wrong though... 

I have a weekly game night where my friends come over and we play through games, and we are playing Dark Souls (their fist time ever) and it is funny watching them go through stuff. I take for granted now how little that game directs you, it's been tough balancing tips with letting them explore. 

PRAISE THE SUN

http://steamcommunity.com/games/211420/announcements/detail/206368522048405952

The GFWL-Steamworks switch has finally happened! You will have to do a bit of fiddling to get saves transferred, but it's not much!

Also, it looks like the update is having issues with the current versions of DSCfix (the multiplayer connection fix) and DSMfix (mouse input fix), which isn't all that surprising.

And I'm going to play it alllll over again.

A few quick observations from eyes grown accustomed to Dark Souls 2:

* The HUD is HUGE. It feels more...arcadey? I kinda like it

* I will never grow tired of kicking and dragging corpses about the place

* That 30fps defo feels sluggish right now. I'll get used to it

* Climbing quickly up ladders is awesome, and I miss it

New version of DSfix - http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=652

Current version of DSCfix (connectivity fix) doesn't work with the Steamworks update, may or may not break actual functionality, and a new version may or may not be coming/possible. So disable or uninstall it.

Don't know about the mouse fix, because what kind of maniac would use a mouse for this game?

Don't know about the mouse fix, because what kind of maniac would use a mouse for this game?

I do :[

It'll probably break again, but I haven't tested it since I can't connect to GFWL.

PRAISE THE SUN

http://steamcommunity.com/games/211420/announcements/detail/206368522048405952

The GFWL-Steamworks switch has finally happened! You will have to do a bit of fiddling to get saves transferred, but it's not much!

Also, it looks like the update is having issues with the current versions of DSCfix (the multiplayer connection fix) and DSMfix (mouse input fix), which isn't all that surprising.

Not anymore! Be sure to get the latest Steamworks update.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=652

There's also an updated version of DSMfix floating around, for those too stubborn to buy a controller (which is me and about four other people).

That could actually lead to some cool things down the road.  Of course, it also sounds like it currently can connect to other games, so also shitty hackers. 

From what people have found, it seems like anything the debug mode can do is only present on that player's instance of the game, and you can't really do much (at least in a PVP sense). One of the things it has done is allowed people like Illusorywall to do more digging into the more ambiguous mechanics like miracle resonance and Vagrants.

And there was a brief kerfuffle when Bandai Namco started taking down hosted copies of the debug EXE and the agency they hired to do so accidentally hit DSFix with a takedown as well, but that's been sorted out by now and everything's fine.

So I fired up DS1 over my lunch break, just making a new character and running through to the first fire in Undead Burg.  I still super duper love this game.  I never did get around to remaking my Dragon King Greataxe build from the 360 version, I may have to do that. 

I recently started replaying Dark Souls with some friends hanging out and watching. Nobody else has much experience with it - either they just haven't played it, or were interested and then bounced off the mechanical difficulty. It's really fun being a sort of tour guide, taking areas more slowly than I might otherwise, pointing things out, and talking about the setting. I even started to make a list of milestones and things to do and NPC's to find as each thing happens to make sure that all the side stuff plays out, too.

I played a bit tonight, and am pretty pleasantly surprised at how populated the Undead Burg is.  Helped 3 people co-op the first boss.  I never did co-op as much in 1 as I did 2, so it might be fun going through with a build more dedicated to helping people and just co-oping every boss and/or area a couple of times. 

I wish you'd help me through SotFS instead, Bjorn! In some areas I'm kind of struggling to find phantoms.

I wish you'd help me through SotFS instead, Bjorn! In some areas I'm kind of struggling to find phantoms.

Yeah, it's really weird how From (or, let's be honest, Namco Bandai) timed the release so that Bloodborne and the Dark Souls 2 remaster are draining players from each other as well as from older entries in the series. I feel like the first Dark Souls is evergreen, although I wonder if the population remains as dense later in the game. Vanilla Dark Souls 2 is a ghost town outside of a few bosses broadly considered to be "fun" to beat. The days right after release, of throwing down a small summon sign and doing some brief co-op to go human (or grabbing some help for a random section because you're having a little trouble), couldn't be more distant.

Dark Souls was the free game with Xbox Gold sometime in the past year, which I expect has given it an infusion of new players. For people like me who are bad at games and don't play that often that's been enough time to put in about 35 hours.

All the Bloodborne talk on the various casts has me getting back into it a bit more. I will say most areas I've been since (currently I'm in Blight-town) seem less populated in terms of ghosts and number of bloodstains or messages, but still not empty.

Also, a question: I found my way to the shaft that gets me behind the weird giant bug attached to the wall. I feel like I should be able to kill it now but how do I do that?

You should be able to just hit it. It can only attack you if you're in front of it, so go for it.

Shoot it with a billion arrows. At least, that's what I did. 

Yeah, by that point in Blighttown I was being the most careful. I definitely just stood back and unloaded a dozen arrows and wondered what the fuck that thing was.