Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Speaking of Sif, I need to order this poster some day. And I'm not even a poster person.

il_570xN.466484445_cx5x.jpg

oh man. I want that. Thanks for re-railing the thread also.

e: did some research, that poster (and other Dark Souls and other video game posters too) seem to be from https://www.etsy.com/listing/153189036/dark-souls-poster-great-grey-wolf-sif?ref=related-4

Man, if that poster came in blacklight velvet, it would be perfect.  It reminds me a lot of the blacklight posters from when I was kid. 

I'm thinking of picking up Dark Souls again after putting it down about 6 months ago.

I'm wondering if I should start over or pick up the character that I left off with.

I have a fighter who beat the following bosses:

• Asylum Demon
  • Taurus Demon
  • Capra Demon
  • Bell Gargoyles
  • Moonlight Butterfly
  • Gaping Dragon

I started down the path to Blight Town after beating the Gaper and got my ass handed to me repeatedly, to the point where I put the game down. 

I'm not sure if I've built my dude wrong or if I've just hit an elbow in the difficulty curve, or I'm just heading in the wrong direction.

Halp?

The dudes that shoot poison darts in Blight Town do not respawn. I know that was a hurdle for me at first, until I realized that.

I'm thinking of picking up Dark Souls again after putting it down about 6 months ago.

I'm wondering if I should start over or pick up the character that I left off with.

I have a fighter who beat the following bosses:

• Asylum Demon
  • Taurus Demon
  • Capra Demon
  • Bell Gargoyles
  • Moonlight Butterfly
  • Gaping Dragon

I started down the path to Blight Town after beating the Gaper and got my ass handed to me repeatedly, to the point where I put the game down. 

I'm not sure if I've built my dude wrong or if I've just hit an elbow in the difficulty curve, or I'm just heading in the wrong direction.

Halp?

You are going the right direction (there are other places you can go to, but blight town is generally where you go next from there). 

Blight Town is definitely one of the more difficult areas in the game. At the same time it teaches you some useful skills regarding limited vision (both because of viewing angles and darkness) and navigation. If it gets super frustrating, there are some other places to wander, one which provides an entrance to Blight Town that, while not percisely easier, is shorter.

So, I just discovered that my save file was lost, because although I had a PS+ account, I hadn't fired up Dark Souls since I activated it. So my warrior lies dead on the hard drive of my previous PS3.

The good news is that my brand new Bandit made short work of the Asylum Demon.

So it goes.

I think there's no other game series where I would probably welcome the loss of a save file because I enjoy the moment-to-moment process and power arc so much.

I agree, I've not played a huge amount of DS, but I feel like you have to start from the beginning. Plus it's a surprisingly short game if you know what you're doing.

This is the hardest damn game to get going.

I'm 40 minutes in and after dealing with GFWL I am playing the game but after picking up the shield and the axe I'm entirely unable to equip either.

I know for certain I'm pressing the right buttons.

I know about switching weapons and how each hand has two slots.

As far as the internet's concerned, those are the only two reasons I might be getting stuck here, but when I click on an empty slot, it gives me the list of equipment that can go in there, but when I try to click and choose it the game just exits the whole equipment menu and I'm standing there with the default blade hilt thing.

It's actually the most frustrating gaming experience I have ever had, mostly because I know there's a bunch more of the actual game yet to come that's SUPPOSED to trip me up and make me work for it.

EDIT: Turns out it works if I use the mouse. Hallelujah.

EDIT2: I can't tell if I should be able to cast magic yet or not.

You can only cast pyromancies once you get the pyromancy flame (assuming you're playing pyro from the axe comment).

If you have a controller I strongly suggest using it. If not, please install dsfix and dsMfix or the controls are likely to really, really make you hate the game.

e: sounds like your key/button mappings are messed up?

If you have a controller I strongly suggest using it. If not, please install dsfix and dsMfix or the controls are likely to really, really make you hate the game.

That's an outdated version of DSMFix, which patch 1.0.2.0 broke. The creator's disappeared, but a fan made a hack, which can be found here. Just install it using the original instructions.

I was trying dsfix but had to remove it to sort out some other things to get the game to run first, then I just went right into playing once I was actually able to. I'm planning to reinstate the DSfix stuff again now.

My brother has PS3 ones but I'm likely moving out of here soon and can't take one with me so I didn't wanna go through the hassle of installing the touchy drivers for it. So I kinda wanted to play a bit first to make sure that I actually enjoy the game first before I buy a controller... I'm aware that may be jeopardising enjoyment of the game but I still wanna try. if it gets shitty enough I can switch to a controller and give the game a fairer go.

I'm guessing the button mapping is muddled because enter functions fine most of the time but occasionally acts funky, the equipment way being the most egregious.

And yes I am a pyromancer (I like them flames), I picked up a fire hand thing from an undead dude and I can equip that but don't know if there's a special button/different prerequisite for attacking with it. But I realised that I was being a dummy and had one of the secondary hand keys rebound wrong (I switched them to iokl but turns out I forgot one).

Also I feel like I should outright say I'm not saying I think the game is terrible, this experience was just a pile more frustration than I expected.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for DSMfix! I knew about the other one but not that. It might make it easier than my current arrangement that requires three hands. (movement, attack and looking around)

Sure, I sent you a friend request. Pretty sure I can't do it just yet though, I've only finished the tutorial, been picked up by the bird and been repeatedly shown to not go near the skeletons yet.

Question about the DSC fix, it says to edit DSfix.ini, then gives a different step to take if I already edited it for DSMFix. Should I still do the edit as well as the extra step?

Question about the DSC fix, it says to edit DSfix.ini, then gives a different step to take if I already edited it for DSMFix. Should I still do the edit as well as the extra step?

If you're using the DSMfix, then yes.

I typed "Dark Souls is for the streets" in Youtube. This is what I got.

I should really get into the PVP aspect of Dark Souls. Or Dark Souls 2, once I start playing it.

...Which might be like after this video ends.

That video doesn't remind me of how little I miss DS1 backstabs, and how much I miss ragdoll physics.

That video doesn't remind me of how little I miss DS1 backstabs, and how much I miss ragdoll physics.

Hah! Yeah, PVP in the first Dark Souls is all about circling for backstabs and PVP in Dark Souls 2 appears to be about rolling into a power-stanced combo.

I love playing both games around this actor friend of mine who's taken plenty of stage combat classes because all the rolling drives him nuts. In medieval combat, the advantage is entirely to the person who's upright with their weapon raised, so the idea of rolling around to avoid attacks is anathema. Of course, once I got him into the game last month, he's been rolling with the best of them, so that speaks to the charm of the combat anyway.

Hmm, I have it on GFWL through Steam. I wonder if it will just magically switch over or if I'm going to have to dick around with save files.

I would think it just switches over. That seems to be how it worked with the Arkham games and Bioshock 2.