Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Yes, please persist, twmac! You're honestly well over the hump; if you've come this far, you have all the skills and tenacity you need to see it through to the end.

Yes, please persist, twmac! You're honestly well over the hump; if you've come this far, you have all the skills and tenacity you need to see it through to the end.

Seconded! S&O are certainly the hardest mother hubbards to ever exist! You're so close!

Tried the Scaleless guy last night and I got cursed.

I haven't beaten him yet so I'm no expert (I got killed in the fight you can't win and am just heading into the crystal caves now), but I found a ring in the New Londo Ruins that basically nullifies curse called the Cursebite Ring. Searching around for that could help a lot if you get stuck.

I haven't beaten him yet so I'm no expert (I got killed in the fight you can't win and am just heading into the crystal caves now), but I found a ring in the New Londo Ruins that basically nullifies curse called the Cursebite Ring. Searching around for that could help a lot if you get stuck.

The cursebite ring doesn't nullify curse, but it does increase the resistance by 400%, which is nice. 

There is a 'Rare ring of Sacrifice' that does nullify being cursed, but only if you're wearing it when you die. The descriptive text says it frees you from curses, but this is not true. The ring also breaks after you die.

Curse is horrible. It stacks too, so don't be thinking that being cursed once will mean you're immune to cursing. 

To lift it, either consume a purging stone, or speak to Ingward in New Londo Ruins.

Sorry for the bad info. I should have said that I started the fight without it on, quick equipped it, and then saw my curse meter thing stop filling up (or at least slow way down). 

On my very first playthrough, I ran out of Transient Curses, and ended up having to get myself real cursed in order to tackle the New Londo Ruins (at least until I had found some more Transients).  That was terrible.

New Londo Ruins was always the most horribly tense section of the game for me.  I don't know why, but the prospect of risking curses and dealing with those ghosts just felt absolutely gut-wrenching.  It probably doesn't help that I haven't beaten the Four Kings yet, either.

On my very first playthrough, I ran out of Transient Curses, and ended up having to get myself real cursed in order to tackle the New Londo Ruins (at least until I had found some more Transients).  That was terrible.

That's when the cursed sword of artorias comes in handy. Doesn't work as well on NG+ though.

When you take on the Four Kings, there's actually a really quick way to get to the boss from firelink shrine, which with skill doesn't require you to defeat any enemies, as spoiled below:

When you've lowered the water level, get on the lift, then when you're in New Londo Ruins, run over the wooden bridge, then when you get to the opening where the two ghosts are, go to the stairs - at the bottom of the stairs, fall off the ledge to the right, and onto a rock beam, then fall down again to where the pool is. Run past the Wraith, into the church and into the fog door. As long as you're past the fog door, enemies can't chase you. but they can attack through the door, which is annoying. Ghosts will just float back to their positions.

I don't know whether this shortcut was purposeful or not, but it's pretty neat either way.

Sweet!  That'll make repeated trips much less daunting.  My strategy for most of the game has been to bulk up in absolutely gigantic armor but maintain speed using Havel's Ring, but since you have to wear Artorias' ring (and I've already got the Ring of Favor and Protection on), I end up being way, way too slow to handle the fight.

I just took out Seath and Nito in one night. I am the best Dark Souls person! 

Just kidding. I'm actually pretty terrible and am just good at mashing two-handed attacks before the bosses can kill me.

EDIT: And the Centipede! DOUBLE EDIT: And the Bed of Chaos!

Can't you buy them from the guy in the belltower? Oswald(?) There's someone you can buy them from.

New Londo Ruins was always the most horribly tense section of the game for me.  I don't know why, but the prospect of risking curses and dealing with those ghosts just felt absolutely gut-wrenching.  It probably doesn't help that I haven't beaten the Four Kings yet, either.

God for some reason the part of that level where the floor is a pile of dead people made me viscerally disgusted. I almost never feel anything in video games, and that part wasn't high res or particularly realistic in any way.

Somehow that did it for me. When I was in the middle of that floor and finally realized what it was, I got these weird shivers and just wanted to be somewhere else. Seriously the weirdest thing I've ever experienced from a game.

Can't you buy them from the guy in the belltower? Oswald(?) There's someone you can buy them from.

Only Ingward (the guy at the end of the New Londo ruins) sells an unlimited amount, otherwise you have to farm them from ghosts if you've exhausted all the ones you can find and the few you can buy.  It was a disaster the first time I tried to go in there, I was under leveled and being stubborn.  I kept burning through another Transient to get back to my bloodstain each time I died.   There were two bottlenecks that got me multiple times.  The one room where a bunch of them pop up.  And then the turn at the bottom of the stairs.

The female undead merchant in the aquaduct between Firelink and the Depths has them as well (I don't think she used too though).

Thanks for all the advice.

When I said I had access to Scaleless and Four Kings - what I meant is that I had fought all my way to their doorsteps. I have the ring and had completely forgotten about it, will have to re-spec my class so that I can wear it as I am dependent on two items to be mobile.

The four Kings was terrifying and the Ceaseless Discharge encounter was tough to the point that I can't believe that it is that simple.

The painted kingdom was awesome

I ran in expecting a big old boss, but instead I chatted to her and then just left.

Apart from the DLC, the Painted World of Ariamis is the marquee area of the game. So hauntingly beautiful and deadly.

Congrats!  You chewed through the end of that in pretty short order order.

Yeah, it really wasn't too bad once I got going. I think my build (strength-focused with a black knight halberd and havel's ring so I could fast-roll in light armor) was really well suited for the last couple of boss fights. It didn't work so well against Gwyn, so I switched to a tankier method and that ultimately worked out. And to think I almost gave up in the Painted World before some Thumbs told me to keep going.

The thing that makes Gwyn super easy is that

You can parry most of his attacks

This was done because the director wanted to make all play styles a viable option on the last boss. That you switched method is interesting XD

I'm impressed that you got through the DLC area so quickly. That place was a brick wall for me for weeks.

I think I might have skipped the DLC area. I didn't do it on purpose. I just went where I thought I needed to in order to progress the game, and it looks like I missed something. Now my victory feels kind of hollow (pun intended).

If you don't *know* where the DLC area is, it would actually be quite easy to overlook and miss.  It requires some backtracking to an area that you normally wouldn't revisit.

All you Dark Souls fans, this is for you.

An impressive dissection of Dark Souls' mechanics, systems, and themes. 100% worth watching, even if you don't like the game.