Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

So am I approaching this game wrong if I get really annoyed when I get invaded? I usually walk around hollow since my weapon doesn't scale with humanity, so the only time I am human is when I'm about to fight a boss with a summon (in this case I've been stuck on Ornstein and Smough for a while). Whenever this happens, I get invaded and some player with unbelievably nice gear comes and wrecks me completely. I know, it is supposed to be hard, and I know a game respecting your time isn't what people come to Dark Souls for, but when that happens it really makes me question if this is the game for me.

Being invaded can be pretty rough in Dark Souls as almost everyone who's doing that is running a pretty heavy duty PvP build. One option is to level up some more to hopefully get out of the prime PvP range in the area you're at. Summoned friendly phantoms can also fight invaders. Finally, if nothing else works, sprint for a place that will be easy to recover your souls and wait to die.

Are you summoning NPCs to help you against Smough and Ornstein? If so, unplug your cable and play without internet for that bit.

Yeah. I was just about to summon Solaire to help me out, and then a guy with a shiny mega sword took me out. I suppose I could just unplug my connection, but could that cause saving issues because of Games for Windows?

EDIT: Also, I misread your last sentence as a Vanaman-esque "Alt+F4, delete local content" type slam.

Apparently complaining about Dark Souls is just what I need to get motivated to kill bosses. Now I can warp around, and I met a giant lady.

Hey can't beat that Ornstein fella? Throw your physical hardware into a trash chute.

Apparently complaining about Dark Souls is just what I need to get motivated to kill bosses. Now I can warp around, and I met a giant lady.

In case it comes up again, once you've signed into the GFWL system on your machine, you get an offline profile just like on the Xbox. You'll have to exit out completely to the menu when you switch to offline though.

"Don't" shoot her with an arrow.

Yeah totally "don't" do that.

I made a sunbro and have been helping out around the gargoyles. I never realized how much fun this is. Except that I'm not very good at fighting invaders, so I not particularly helpful there. Anyone have any suggestions for a good sunbro sword? I've been using the Astora's Straight Sword, but it's hard to upgrade and doesn't look like it'll scale all that great. Been thinking about looking at a regular longsword and going divine or occult, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd just prefer to not have to put any more points into strength or dex.

Baldur Side Sword. Put on the gold serpent ring and get one from the knights.

Actually, if you can swing it, Sun Bro-ing in a full Baldur set would be cool there (merchant at the top of Sen's has the armor but the sword and shield are only drops).

I have a Side Sword, but it'd require an extra four points into Dex (which I'm worried might push me out of some summoning range) and is actually worse than a Longsword when Divine +10.

I have a Side Sword, but it'd require an extra four points into Dex (which I'm worried might push me out of some summoning range) and is actually worse than a Longsword when Divine +10.

What are your current stats?  I'm assuming you are a Faith build.  If this is mostly focused around co-op, I might think about going with whatever basic weapon you like, and buffing it with Sunlight Blade.  Not that great for PvE, since it's just a one cast, but terrific for co-op and PvP.  Or what about the Crescent Axe?  It would only take 2 more points of Dex for you.

"Don't" shoot her with an arrow.

What are the advantages of "not" shooting her with an arrow. 

I know 

she's an illusion and that the world goes all dark when you do

but does the game change significantly depending on what you do?

EDIT: Also, I just got through Four Kings and it looks like I'm sort of headed for the endgame. Am I close to actually finishing this thing, or does it just seem that way? Also, any advice for not horribly screwing this up?

There's the other three Lord Souls to get and the optional but excellent DLC (which wasn't DLC on PC but is the best content in the game after S&O). You could theoretically finish it in 45 minutes. It'll probably take you 12 hours.

I know 

she's an illusion and that the world goes all dark when you do

but does the game change significantly depending on what you do?

Maybe she's not the only thing that is.

Mechanically, I think it makes it a pain to get to the giant blacksmith.

You could theoretically finish it in 45 minutes. It'll probably take you 12 hours.

:tup:

Beat 5-1 today. I'm a bit confused on world tendency stuff. Right now, the online world tendencies are pretty close to white all the way across, but apparently one short of pure white in world 3. I'd like to shift that to white if I can, but I think the only way I can do it is to beat a boss, right? So if I run out of bosses, I'll never be able to get pure white? People talk about doing world tendency events offline, but how is that even possible with only 3 bosses available in the Tower of Latria?

Mechanically, I think it makes it a pain to get to the giant blacksmith.

And

Gwyndolin, if you want to fight him.

Dark Anor Londo sucks.

Beat 5-1 today. I'm a bit confused on world tendency stuff. Right now, the online world tendencies are pretty close to white all the way across, but apparently one short of pure white in world 3. I'd like to shift that to white if I can, but I think the only way I can do it is to beat a boss, right? So if I run out of bosses, I'll never be able to get pure white? People talk about doing world tendency events offline, but how is that even possible with only 3 bosses available in the Tower of Latria?

Online, World Tendencies tend to be on the White side, but they are reset every time you log back in to whatever the Global average is.  And yeah, if you run out of bosses, that's it, no chance to get pure white (except for world 1, where the dragons count as bosses for tendency).  The current tendencies are saved locally when you quit.  If you want to manipulate tendencies, just start in offline mode and your current tendencies will be whatever they were the last time played (even if that was online).  Then you can beat some bosses, get them to pure white, and do anything that you need to do. 

That kinda bites that you have easy ways to lower tendency to black (via dying over and over as a human) but only a few limited ways to get to white (killing black phantoms or ressurecting blue ones, neither of which I'm in the position to do very often.)vThankfully, I think I can still do the two things I want to do by beating the boss of 2-3 and 3-3 while offline, so I haven't blown that at least.

At one point in the past, I saw that there was a world 1-4, so I just assumed that all the worlds had four levels. That not being true, combined with the final fight in each world being a fairly short level, means I'm closer to the end of this thing than I thought.

The lord I had beaten was Nito, I am now able to access the Four Kings and also the Scaleless guy.

Tried the Scaleless guy last night and I got cursed.

I am never beating this game. I don't even know how to take out Ceaseless Discharge yet.

The lord I had beaten was Nito, I am now able to access the Four Kings and also the Scaleless guy.

You get access to the Four Kings and Seath when you defeat S&O and place the lordvessel.

Tried the Scaleless guy last night and I got cursed.

Was that the first time? Coz if so that was on purpose. If not, the clam monsters give you curse stones to lift the curse.

I am never beating this game. I don't even know how to take out Ceaseless Discharge yet.

As for him:

just run all the way back to the fog door, then slash his arm.

You're close! Keep at it! :D