Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't May 31st the last day of Q1?

Sounds a lot like Japan's release scheduling tbh. The number of times I've pre-ordered a figurine for 'may' and it being shipped on the last day of may. Fuck it, i'm getting it on ps3.

The EU release date on PC has now slipped back to 'TBC' :( Worse than 'TBA' apparantly.

Yep, I'm preordering it for a console, just need to decide which one now.  My Gold subscription is expired on the 360, and I don't really want to re-up for one game.  But by and large, I have had better quality (technical, not people) experiences on the 360 over the PS3.

Noted mysterious electronic producer Burial just posted his first "selfie" and wrote a note to the public on his label's website.  This quote made me smile:

"Hopefully by the end of most years I have done some tunes that are decent enough to release. but Dark Souls 2 is on the horizon soon so I'm not sure if I will have many new tunes for a while because I need to play that game a lot. But I'm going to try to get some new tunes together before it comes out."

Source: http://www.hyperdub.net/burial/

There were some pretty ugly frame rate drops on 360 and PS3 in Dark Souls 1, I can't imagine that Dark Souls 2 will look any better.

Oh well, I guess I can always buy it twice. I bought Dark Souls 1 twice.

So did I, PS3 and PC.  I suppose I'll go with PS3, since that's what I've played the previous Souls on.  Unfortunately Amazon is sold out of the Black Armor edition for PS3.

What I should really do is start into Demon Souls, and then see where things stand when I'm done with that. For all I know, it might take me six months to beat it, at which time this conversation will be moot.

One of my favorite things about Dark Souls is how the world feels like a real(ish) place with a history that has transformed into a mythology. You get the sense that the old stories could be just the interpretation of crazy events by simpler people (or good PR).

Nothing is as grand as what you envision the city of the gods should be.

and what is is an illusion

That is

until you approach Gravelord Nito's arena and get a glimpse of the land fog and arch-trees. he's the first and most recognizable of the gods from the intro video that you encounter and it's an awesome moment

My Gold subscription is expired on the 360, and I don't really want to re-up for one game.

Do you think you'll need gold to play online? You didn't for DS1...

Also I have shitty wifi in my room (where my xbox is) I really didn't want to have to buy it for 360...

This is all really upsetting news :'(

Namco clarified that they are expecting the PC version to drop weeks after the console version, not months. 

Yhatzee finally did a review of Dark Souls. I don't know why I'm so happy he's done it, but I am. I guess as a person I religiously watch every week for laughs, it's nice to see he's finally reviewed my favorite game. I also like his journey of discovery as to why he likes it. I wonder if this will have a noticeable bump in sales? Yhatzee is pretty famous nowdays.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8802-Dark-Souls

These last few months have been "The Age of Dark Souls for Some Reason". It's neat.

I'm glad too, because I've had it since it was released, but I never really got into it until about 6 weeks ago (due to all the bizarro hype) and now it's basically my favorite video game in the last 10 years. 

That was a good review by Yahtzee! Strangely positive for him.

These last few months have been "The Age of Dark Souls for Some Reason". It's neat.

I'm glad too, because I've had it since it was released, but I never really got into it until about 6 weeks ago (due to all the bizarro hype) and now it's basically my favorite video game in the last 10 years. 

It is a weird thing, isn't it? I can't imagine it happening to any other game, there's just something about Dark Souls that I can't articulate. On the surface it's not a particularly unique game, yet somehow I feel like it's fundamentally different from almost every other game I've played. I feel weird even saying that.

Oh man, I have just beat one of the Lords.

I've been told that I have about 15-20 hours left.

Oh man, I have just beat one of the Lords.

I've been told that I have about 15-20 hours left.

Nah the game speeds up quite a bit once you get to the Lords. You start getting a bit over-powered, and competent enough as a player that it's not the challenge the first half of the game is. 

Have you beat (mother fucking) Knight Artorias?

that guy took me so fucking long..... he and kalameet took me longer than all of blight town

that guy took me so fucking long..... he and kalameet took me longer than all of blight town

Kalameet is still the only enemy that I wasn't able to cut the tail off of, despite trying with two different characters multiple times.  I've seen and played with every weapon except whatever you get from him. 

I never got his tail either, although I wouldn't have been able to use it with that character so wasn't too bothered. I found Artorias seriously tough to beat the first time I fought him. I'd never be able to stun him when he was charging up and frequently dodge too early. Think it took me about 15 tries (tho I am proud that I did it solo). I just beat him last week with my current dex build, wielding a +15 Great Scythe. Nailed him on my second attempt!

I've given up on killing him with his own great sword. 

Now i'm throwing a +15 Zweihander at him. YOU WILL FALL!!!!!!

I decided I'm going to wait to get Dark Souls 2 on PC, since Titan Fall is coming out the same day and it sounds like it should only be a month or two between the PS3 and PC releases. That also buys me a little more time to make it through Demon Souls, which I stopped right before the first boss because I spent an hour searching around trying to figure out how to level up and become human, only to find out it's impossible until you beat the first boss. I guess that's the disadvantage to already knowing how the game works before I started.

Edit: Took care of the Tower Knight tonight. Now that I've played some and unlocked most of the features, I'm getting sucked in again :)

I fired up Demon's Souls last night, as I'm really jonesing for DkS2 to be out.  I only played DeS once, and kind of cheesed through it with a Royal mage.  Think I'm going to opt for a Meat Cleaver balanced build this time so I can play around with a variety of weapons, since it takes both Dex and Str to use effectively.

Maybe I'm out of practice, but this is feeling a lot harder than DkS.  I ended up dying 3 times getting to the first boss.  Of course, I've run through the opening of DkS at least 10 times now, and can sail through it with any starting loadout with my eyes closed. 

Not sure how far I'll go, but I am digging being back in Boletaria.  And this absolutely confirms I'm going to buy DkS2 on the PS3 on release.  No way I'm waiting for the PC release to drop. 

Last night, I beat the boss of 3-1 in Demon's Souls. I get the feeling that I'm doing this in a very bizzare order (1-1, 1-2, 3-1) compared to how most would recommend it. It's certainly been nuts hard with my paladin build, but I finally got the hang of doing backstabs as I would have been completely unable to get anywhere in 3-1 without them. I lost my first big batch of souls (around 8k) as well, so that's a relief of a sort.

As an added assist, I've also been watching the GB Demon's Souls play though. I'm mainly just listening to the misery and trying not to get spoiled too much, but it's been a nice stress relief when I started to slide into the repeated death pit.