Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

On the other hand, I hope nobody saw my ghost get eaten by that mimic.

fine... those mimics...

Joystiq has an article up on the state of GFWL powered games.  Dark Souls is listed as:

"Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)"

I'll take that as a good sign for now, as a bunch of devs/pubs did respond that they simply aren't going to bother updating their games. 

I hope they do update it. There have been far too many times when I've launched Dark Souls and GFWL has failed - repeatedly! - to connect. One failure? A nuisance, but I can handle it. More than that? RAGE. 

Also, and I do feel a bit guilty admitting this, I'd love to chase some Steam 'cheeves

Oof! That is a kick in the balls, BadHat. Who was it you angered?

Actually now that I think about it, I didn't even attack anyone. I picked the wrong dialog choice when I first met Alvina, which meant she wouldn't talk to me and I couldn't join the Forest Covenant. Wouldn't have been a big deal except I'm a stupid completionist and wanted to do every fucking thing, which is why my first playthrough clocked in at about 110 hours. :|

since watchin' people play video games is all the rage these days: noted fake scoopsman giantbomb.com's own Patrick Klepek has been streaming dark souls & uploading it to http://www.youtube.com/user/patrickklepek/videos'>his youtube account!

but the real reason I'm posting is to share http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g/videos?flow=grid&view=1'>Kay Plays. It starts out mighty slow as she's playing 100% blind (and is totally new to the souls games), but it's awesome to relive the game vicariously though her. She reads text, experiments, and makes an effort to understand the things around her which is - as far as I've seen - practically a unicorn in the lets play world. 

Right, I commented on here a long time ago (over 2 years ago) and talked about a bunch of things I did with my first and second characters before giving up having never rung the second bell.

I started this game up on the weekend with a new character (I've lost the others). The most marked difference is playing online.

When I first played it, I had no access to the internet, so I was playing in a pre-patch world with none of the community and apart from the comments here I had no idea what I was doing.

I've kept things fairly spoiler free in re-reading this 30 page thread and it is exhilarating to be at a point where I am now seeing new stuff.

What is most revelatory is how much the mood has changed being online. In offline mode the world is quiet and depressing to the point of being almost unbearable - there were a couple of moments where I was so bummed out that I would turn it off and go and do something else.

Ignoring invasions and Co-Op moments the world feels so busy now with the number of comments littered throughout the world and ghosts running around. It feels like a far less empty and harrowing place when you walk up to a spot and read 'I did it!' where there was once an imposing mini boss.

I have gone for a sword and shield combo and after killing the Drake, I got my first invasion - I was only level 10 - so I think they were a little surprised to get what they got, which was a sound thrashing. 

I don't imagine it will be the same but I almost recommend that people try playing the game not connected to the internet and then restart with a connection; it is mental.

I'm currently trying to figure out what to do after killing the giant rat (I haven't killed the butterfly yet either).

I've played on and offline and can't say which I prefer more.  I think I like my introduction to these games to be offline, and then once I'm familiar with a fair number of things, to switch over to online.  I enjoy the crushing depressed isolation offline mode brings with it.

The offline does have a brilliant emptiness to it but after beating the boss last night and being totally reliant on the NPC character to do all the damage I am liking the online mode a lot more.

Also, the fact that you can lift a curse from a vendor blows my mind.

I watched the first Demon Souls video on Giant Bomb. I think I'm going to have to buy it. It's a shame I don't get a lot of PS3 time these days, I probably won't get a chance to finish it before Dark Souls 2 comes out, which will present an interesting conundrum.

So I just got to the second bell, that took me a lot longer than I was expecting as I have had people taking the piss out of me for not having done so in the past.

So now I am an Sen's Fortress... That shit is tough.

I haven't really evolved any type of ranged game and that is really punishing me now.

Bjorn, that is a  nice interview - where did you get that?

There's a link to a Kotaku article below the interview.  They got it from a scan of the Dark Souls art book.  I'd love to actually see the entire art book now to see what other gems are in it.

Sen's Fortress is now one of my favorite areas, particularly because of how intimidating it was the first time through.  It's also a good lesson on why you should always have a ranged option.  Even if it's just the lowest stat bow available, having something can make a world of difference.

Here's another good article on DaS2.  Nothing really spoilery, but a nice deep dive on the challenges of making a worthy successor without just copying/pasting everything from the first one and some of the balance and design concerns that were raised from the network beta test.

The Collector's Edition is now supposedly sold out.  I still haven't found any retailer in the US selling the Black Armor edition for PC, which is seriously bumming me out.  I'm still debating on getting a console version just to have the metal case for my game collection. 

There's a link to a Kotaku article below the interview.  They got it from a scan of the Dark Souls art book.  I'd love to actually see the entire art book now to see what other gems are in it.

Sen's Fortress is now one of my favorite areas, particularly because of how intimidating it was the first time through.  It's also a good lesson on why you should always have a ranged option.  Even if it's just the lowest stat bow available, having something can make a world of difference.

Here's another good article on DaS2.  Nothing really spoilery, but a nice deep dive on the challenges of making a worthy successor without just copying/pasting everything from the first one and some of the balance and design concerns that were raised from the network beta test.

The Collector's Edition is now supposedly sold out.  I still haven't found any retailer in the US selling the Black Armor edition for PC, which is seriously bumming me out.  I'm still debating on getting a console version just to have the metal case for my game collection. 

I got the book. It's really good. Lots of lovely art and a real nice interview at the end. There are many more gems in that interview.

I know a lot of people really hate sens, but i didn't mind it as much. I actually quite enjoy it on subsequent run throughs. I've heard people say how sens for them was the stopping point, and for many I think it is. Push on through with sens. The worst is yet to come.

fucking archers

The UK has plenty of Black Armour & Collectors Eds for the PC. If they are advertising collectors edition to the EU on PC, i see no logical reason as to why they wouldn't release it in the US.

Only Blighttown is actually bad IMHO, and only because of the crazy performance hits you take when you try to move around.

As for fucking archers, I refer you to Dr. Ranged-love: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Poison Arrows

Hey.

This game is kinda' hard.  :mellow:

I've basically beat everything in the main game now except Gwyn. I still need to go visit Ash Lake and the Great Hollow as I haven't been there yet. I've started on the DLC and am currently dying to the guy who brings you there. I was kinda overleveled for the four lords' souls bosses so they were kinda easy, but damn the DLC is hard!

I also ordered the art book. I'd been thinking about it and it seems like it'd be the type of thing to go out of print quickly.

The UK has plenty of Black Armour & Collectors Eds for the PC. If they are advertising collectors edition to the EU on PC, i see no logical reason as to why they wouldn't release it in the US.

Technically it's two different divisions on Namco, who make decisions independently.  My guess is that the NA division didn't think there would be enough demand for a boxed PC release, and the EU division thought there would be. 

I AM DARK LORD!!!

which, of course, means I've finally beaten the game. (143 hours total)

I stopped being a baby and finally beat Manus, then almost immediately beat Gwyn.

I feel soooo good :')

I just beat it too. My thought was that someone going through this would either be bitter, crazy, or arrogant at having to kill all these powerful beings, so I made sure I killed ALL of them. I killed all the bosses except Priscilla, and all four Knights of Gwyn.

Now I'm just bummed it's over. But I did grab Demon's Souls, but something tells me I won't like it as much as the way the world is connected in Dark Souls.

I made sure I killed ALL of them.

If you know the intended lore, then that statement is heartbreaking :'(

Examples: Quelaag is only trying to collect humanity to heal her terribly deformed sister, Ceasless Discharge is trying to protect his sister's corpse and only attacks you after you strip her of her cloak, Sif is only trying to protect his master's grave and all who think they're strong enough to defeat the four kings, and Gwyn is only trying to protect the Kiln from the servants of Kaathe who seek to destroy it and bring about an end to his era of light. And we killed them all just because a couple of snakes told us to. The chosen undead is actually kind of an asshole.

Yeah I knew that, and I really didn't want to have to kill Sif, especially since it's possible to know Sif's backstory before the fight. Besides, I've killed EVERYTHING else in the world, presumably I'd have no problem with a few snakes either.

Yeah especially since, as I heard someone else describe it, Sif is just trying to protect you from going into the Abyss and suffering the same fate as Artorias.

Abandoned my SL1 game (for now) and did something I've been meaning to do forever - started a guy who exclusively uses big beefy two handers (no sissy shields). Started using the Zweihander as soon as I had the strength to wield it, even though my endurance was only good for two regular swings. It's fun being able to mince through larger enemies, except smaller and quicker ones have become even more tricky. My first goal is going to be to find some decent armor with poise on it.

That's a fun way to play. Try the Large Club (drops from the barbarians in the blighttown tunnel entrance), or the Great Club if you don't get lucky with the drops. The Large Club isn't that hard to get though, a run or three with some humanity in your counter. It's got the same knockdown as the zwei but it's faster and does more damage.