Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Uurrrrrh, this evening I defeated

Nito, and opened up the Kiln. Tried Gwyn three times in a row with different setups, but he's a tough one. About as agressive as Artorias, but eminently less blockable and avoidable. I'm having a hard time landing even a few hits, and don't think I have it in me to learn how to parry this late in the game. Tips?

So far I've gotten my ass whipped in every single PvP fight I've been in, except one in Anor Londo where we outnumbered him 3-1. New PvP elements scare me.

Ok, finally installed the PC version and going to give this another shot. I might be late to the party on this, but why does the txt look like dog poop? It looks like it's been upressed in MS Paint.

In all my complaining, I never thought about googling "Dark Souls essential mods"... oops.

Thank you, this will make the experience a little more palatable. 

Word of warning.  With the DSfix mod (essential) you will get weird lines in the initial menus.  I'm not sure why, but they don't appear in game.  Also I would advise not increasing the frame rate, per the warnings.  The game doesn't launch when I try.

Make sure to turn off in-game anti-aliasing as well. DSFix takes care of that with its INI file, and if you have both on you get weird resolution problems.

Man, I beat my face on the Four Kings repeatedly tonight. I know they're supposed to be one of the harder bosses, but I just can't seem to damage them fast enough to kill them before more show up.

Uurrrrrh, this evening I defeated

Nito, and opened up the Kiln. Tried Gwyn three times in a row with different setups, but he's a tough one. About as agressive as Artorias, but eminently less blockable and avoidable. I'm having a hard time landing even a few hits, and don't think I have it in me to learn how to parry this late in the game. Tips?

First tip would be to parry :P I think he has a way longer parry window than everyone else in the game. Block the first, parry the second. If you don't want to parry you have to use the environment to avoid his attacks, block his line of sight when you pop an estus and he'll charge right into a pillar or something and you can recover safely. Also learn to dodge the grab move.

Make sure to turn off in-game anti-aliasing as well. DSFix takes care of that with its INI file, and if you have both on you get weird resolution problems.

Man, I beat my face on the Four Kings repeatedly tonight. I know they're supposed to be one of the harder bosses, but I just can't seem to damage them fast enough to kill them before more show up.

Yeah, it becomes very clear if you still have it on.  It's like playing on a postage stamp.

The Depths stressed me out a little the first time around.  Generally on most playthroughs I bypass them entirely (if you have the master key the area is optional).  I love this game so much.  Beat it several times on the PS3 until I got  the platinum and now I'm going through it on PC.

Also happy to have gotten into the Dark Souls 2 beta.  Life is good.  ^_^

I did it!

I defeated Gwyn. Here's how. I couldn't get the parrying right. I tried a good ten times with various tactics and sets. Hiding, parrying, nibbling damage here and there, nothing seemed to work. Then I thought: let's just go nuts. I swallowed all my souls, levelling up to 101. Time to leverage that OP-ness. I put on Havel the Rock's full armor, busted out my big ass Dark Knight Greatsword +5 and two-handed that MF-er. Who needs a shield when you've got poise coming out your ears? So I just started hacking away at him, taking every hit he threw at me. Even just healing right through his attacks. And thankfully, brute-forcing worked. I beat him handily. I kept staggering him with my enormous blade. Goodbye Gwyn! Weird, short ending though, nothing at all to hint back at the rather cool opening cinematic.

I did it as well! I guess since there's some new people starting, I should spoiler as well.

Read some FAQs on the Four Kings and tried some new things, most of which didn't work. The one thing that did work out was Magic Shield, which kept my stamina up enough to dance around and finally get some solid hits. Also doubling up on the seeking missile swarm spell, and running off the cliff at the start of the area to skip some of the fights leading up to the boss. It was still pretty damn close, and I was out of Estus when I beat them.

I got stuck on Quelaag when I stopped playing a few months ago. I tried it with phantoms (real and AI, sometimes both) and on my own and she just kept destroying me. I'll go back to it in a while, but Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of the generation and I've probably not ever gotten halfway through it. I'm excited to be around while the community is still figuring stuff out for Dark Souls II though.

I think I'm done with Dark Souls for a while, having finished it. I already played this game the 'wrong' way, looking up almost every boss after the first time, and occassionally looking for bonfires and tricks and stuff. The reason for that is that it already took me 80 damn hours to finish it this way. If I had died a hundred times more at every turn, or stood mystified at some obscure riddle, it would've taken me dozens more. I just don't have that time for a game, or rather, I don't want to spend that much time being stuck. I'm glad it's over now, so I can start up other experiences.

Don't be sad for me though; I loved the experience and the most fond I was of exploring new environments, which I did do all on my own.

Having finished and seen almost everything in the game,

with the exception of two bosses: Kalameet the dragon and the second big guy in the Undead Asylum,

I can now announce what my favorite portions of the game were:

1. The painted world of Ariamis. What an amazing level. Compact, deadly, and filled with interesting, tough encounters. I had to sweat to get through it, but the experience was all the greater for it. The snowy landscape, twisting level design, bizarre enemies...

2. Blight town. I was rightfully fretting this, since the level has quite the amount of hype surrounding it. But I found it at the same time doable and nerve-racking. I had some scary encounters in there, with creatures sneaking up on me from behind. I'm talking especially about the first half, by the way, when you're up in these scary, Resident Evil 4-type rafters. It felt like that game, achieved the same glory.

3. The Duke's Archives. Gotta be specific here: I didn't like the first and last parts, where you're running around annoying hallways with rotating chairs. But the middle part! With the big circular room and the staircase and the snakes...! Such an atmospheric, well done, impressive area. Loved exploring it, mouth agape at all times.

As far as bosses go:

1. The Knight Artorias. Without a doubt the most epic battle in the game. Impossible to cheat through, you have to learn his moves and beat him at his own game.

2. The Gaping Dragon. First time I was truly impressed, and again a beautiful fight.

3. Havel the Rock. Miniboss, sure, but I fought him naked with only a shield and sword in order to evade his attacks. Man, that must've been humiliating for the best armored guy in the world. Afterwards I played the whole game in his get-up, furthering the shame.

I got stuck on Quelaag when I stopped playing a few months ago. I tried it with phantoms (real and AI, sometimes both) and on my own and she just kept destroying me. I'll go back to it in a while, but Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of the generation and I've probably not ever gotten halfway through it. I'm excited to be around while the community is still figuring stuff out for Dark Souls II though.

What has ended up helping me with most bosses I've had trouble with is going in as a phantom in someone else's world, helping them out, and seeing how it's done. Since most players are experts at this point, it's been a huge benefit.

At least until Seath. That was a disaster both times I've tried it as a phantom so far.

I did it!

I defeated Gwyn. Here's how. I couldn't get the parrying right. I tried a good ten times with various tactics and sets. Hiding, parrying, nibbling damage here and there, nothing seemed to work. Then I thought: let's just go nuts. I swallowed all my souls, levelling up to 101. Time to leverage that OP-ness. I put on Havel the Rock's full armor, busted out my big ass Dark Knight Greatsword +5 and two-handed that MF-er. Who needs a shield when you've got poise coming out your ears? So I just started hacking away at him, taking every hit he threw at me. Even just healing right through his attacks. And thankfully, brute-forcing worked. I beat him handily. I kept staggering him with my enormous blade. Goodbye Gwyn! Weird, short ending though, nothing at all to hint back at the rather cool opening cinematic.

There's a lot of stuff on youtube if you want to understand the story/lore better, like

plot summary.

Be sure to watch this as well :D

Artorias has the best lore in the game!

knowing his story makes the Sif fight infinitely more depressing. She's just loyally looking to protect her master's grave. And you're just some grave robbing thug trying to get their ring.

I watched that, plus the fantastic background lore series "Prepare to Cry" (look it up on Youtube, super good). Now I'm just sad. What a haunting world. I knew of course that it was all depressing, but to read all the specifics about the NPCs and what they are all vainly grasping for... wow.

And I'm really of two minds on this. On the one hand it's so nice how little the game straight out tells you, leaving it to you to infer a lot about the story and the characters. But at times it's so obscure that I'd never have caught the deeper meaning of anything. I was ten times more emotional about the game while watching the Youtube series telling me what it was about... I can't help but feel there's a missed opportunity somewhere, as much as I liked how there was basically no straight exposition.

Range always served me pretty well for that fight.  It's always good to have a couple distracting phantoms running around.  Maneater Mildred isn't terribly useful but she will serve in a pinch.

Range always served me pretty well for that fight.  It's always good to have a couple distracting phantoms running around.  Maneater Mildred isn't terribly useful but she will serve in a pinch.

She can take a ton of punishment compared to a lot of the NPC shades.

I entered the Duke's Archives this weekend....

Man that Seath fight is tough. I went through it as a phantom three times yesterday. First time we failed completely, second time we beat it, and third time I died but the host managed to finish him off. He just takes so little damage from my spells, and anytime I try and get close to stab him I get smashed. I'd like to call in some help, but it seems I've outleveled the regular range that people take this guy on, because I almost never see any summon signs around there. On the other hand, I usually get invaded by the same 2-3 people a minute or two after I go human. It happened to me three times, and then a couple times when I was a phantom in someone else's world too.

Somewhere along the line I got the impression that the drop rate increase from holding humanity only counts when you are in fact human, but yesterday I watched some videos that state that isn't the case. I can't figure out if I read it somewhere, or if I just made it up.

I did the best when I got in close and tried to hack it out. The problem is that I've only got a few humanity left, so I might be on my own for this one, which is fine, I'll figure it out.

And I'm really of two minds on this. On the one hand it's so nice how little the game straight out tells you, leaving it to you to infer a lot about the story and the characters. But at times it's so obscure that I'd never have caught the deeper meaning of anything. I was ten times more emotional about the game while watching the Youtube series telling me what it was about... I can't help but feel there's a missed opportunity somewhere, as much as I liked how there was basically no straight exposition.

I feel like, for everything the game might miss for not explicitly telling you the lore, it's worth it because it adds another layer to the feeling of disconnect you have with the world as a player. This is something the gameplay communicates to you very effectively: this world isn't here to accommodate you, it doesn't care about your journey (well except the whole lordvessel thing), you simply reside there and adhere to its rules. The "hands off" nature of the game, where the player is, to a large extent, left to find their own way instead of being guided by the developer, is reinforced by the way the world doesn't feed you its lore. You're merely a visitor after the fact, any details you might glean about what happened before you arrived are purely of your own volition. This, really, is the essence of what makes Dark Souls effective to me. To not feel like a hero in a tailored world, to feel like a visitor in an indifferent and hostile world, a world which feels lived in and has its own story which doesn't merely exist as window dressing to my own - that makes it so much more believable to me.