Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

Has anyone else attempted/completed a soul level 1 run? I have a save sitting at the bonfire just before that fucking crystal place with Seath the Scaleless and I've just about given up. The lack of health doesn't bother me as much as the lack of stamina. I can cheese most stuff with either my ridiculously upgraded starter axe or massive array of pyromancy (having nothing else to spend souls on simplifies things, at least), but having such a low stamina pool means you have to be ridiculously conservative with your blocking/dodging, especially against bosses. I'm trying not to think too hard about tackling places like Tomb of Giants or Lost Izalith (fuck the dragon butts, I'm farming humanity for the shortcut). Then there's the Abyss stuff which will be all new to me. I don't want to stop playing until I've at least experienced that stuff, but I'm also far too stubborn to abandon SL1 and just turn it into a normal run.

I started one that I've not finished. I've done all the regular bosses aside from the DLC which I'm partway through and I just haven't had time to play. Seath in particular I don't remember being that hard, if you managed to get past O&S then the worst is already over. For bosses I tend to use the Grass Crest Shield on my back for more stamina and just 2-hand my weapon, it's not like blocking does you any good. You can buy lots of Green Blossoms too, or put on the Cloranthy Ring. Personally I don't think it's worth it. What I prefer to do is wear Crown of Dusk, as well as the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring for more spell damage. For a lot of bosses I also use Power Within. If you've got the Sanctus shield from killing Leeroy you can do a trick where you get yourself cursed, put on the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring, Red Tearstone Ring, get yourself to below 20% Health and cast Power Within. The healing + regeneration will almost cancel out so you can survive with all those buffs for as long as it takes to kill most bosses, provided you don't get hit. Your damage output will be insane, so you don't have to get very many hits in.

Also, if you've never done the DLC before I don't recommend doing it for the first time on an SL1 character. It's the hardest bosses in the game and I imagine learning their patters will be extremely frustrating when you die almost right away.

Ugh ok, maybe I'll reconsider. Thanks for the tips anywho.

Is GFWL getting torn out of this at some point? I just read it was removed from the Arkham games, and that existing saves won't work any more since they were encrypted on GFWL. I wonder how they'd even manage that for this since all the matchmaking stuff depends it too.

Though GFWL is a draconian thing, I wouldn't sacrifice my save game to be rid of it.

The bosses in the DLC are hard, but also the fucking best. Seriously,

the fight with corrupted Artorias is the best battle in the whole game. So good.

Ugh ok, maybe I'll reconsider. Thanks for the tips anywho.

Is GFWL getting torn out of this at some point? I just read it was removed from the Arkham games, and that existing saves won't work any more since they were encrypted on GFWL. I wonder how they'd even manage that for this since all the matchmaking stuff depends it too.

As far as I know, there have been no official posts about it. I imagine with Dark Souls 2 on its way, they might just let this die.

Edit: There haven't been any official statements that GFWL is being decommissioned either, just a "leak."

Mother $%%^*%$* Sen's Fortress.

I finally had to give up on making it through this as a Human since I'd get invaded about half way through every time (different folks each time too.) The inexplicable changing directions of the boulders killed me a few times, but I was smart enough to see the trick there and find a certain NPC that's super vital to my continued success. I also found the merchant, found the bonfire, and killed all the demons in the bottom of the level, so I think Ithoroughly explored this level (much better than Blight Town, which I'm sure I missed a bunch in.) Eventually, I made it to the top, spotted the scorch marks before I was blown to bits, then cheesed the golem throwing firepots with a bow and arrow (which I leveled up specifically to take out this guy.)

I'm proud that it only took me three shots at the boss to bring him down with no help, and now I'm stuck half way through Anor Londo.

I quit playing my original game on Xbox after I got to that part again on NG+ and lost ~200k souls to them because I'd been saving it for the giant blacksmith. Nope.

I have literally never died to the archers because I was spoiled thoroughly about them by everyone's bitching.

So i guess missed out on the Dark Souls 2 beta, i've had it downloaded and ready to go for about 3 weeks now.

But the game has only been available to play for a couple of 2-3 hours spot, the whole point of the beta it seems is to stress test the servers. But i've always been to busy watching strictly come dancing to sign in during the stress test so i've missed out.

Kind of a shame as loading up to the title screen and hearing all the familiar menu sound effects got me pumped for some soul scavenging.

My difficulties were more map based. I couldn't figure out where to go after killing the gargoyle. I even fell victim to a message that read "Try Jumping." 

My difficulties were more map based. I couldn't figure out where to go after killing the gargoyle.

Gargoyles > Lower Undead Berg > Capra Demon > The Depths > Gaping Dragon > Blighttown > Quelaag

OR (if you have the master key)

Gargoyles > New Londo Ruins > Valley of Drakes > Blighttown > Quelaag (MUCH Shorter and skips two boss fights)

I am a huge DS fan. But it bothers me when other fans get enraged at the idea of more easily learned systems. The process of going from the Gargoyles to the next boss could take forever without online resources. Even if you find the right key and then find the right door you may not realize that is the right way to go. That is definitely something From could improve on. There is an NPC in Firelink Shrine (right next to the bonfire) who if you talk to hints at what you should do next. But again I only know that from 150+ hours logged.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I was in Anor Londo, and I didn't see the particular part of the cathedral I was supposed to walk on. All sorted now as I've beaten Anor Londo! Despite a ton of invasions, and failing miserably the first couple of times trying to get back the soul for Firelink Shrine, I was able to get past the boss after only two shots and with one helper. Then I got back to the shrine and bought all the juicy awesome sorceries.

I've read some bits and pieces about zones I've already completed, so now I'm going to spend a while picking up a few random bits I missed here and there. So next, Blight Town take two and Darkroot Garden all over again.

To your point jmb, after I beat the two gargoyles, I went down into the Darkroot Area, and eventually all the way to the black door of Blighttown, because I thought for sure the Capra demon was a way later boss. So yeah, I went the completely wrong way, but it worked out in the end.

To me it's part of the beauty of Dark Souls that you almost always have multiple options for progression. And since the only thing holding you back is player skill, the only real obstacle is yourself.

Of course that's not to say that there isn't an easiest/most convenient path.

i'm not sure I agree osmosisch. There are multiple walls you cannot pass without certain souls/key. Sure you can ring Quelaag's bell first (if you have the master key) but you need to ring both to go to sen's. sure you can fight nito, seath, and the bed in any order but you cannot fight them until you kill the four kings.

This structure is cool because it means players can choose what is easier and which items they want first, but for new players it's insanely complex. People are so used to following a waypoint, but as Dewar said, a lot of people don't realize how early in the game you're supposed to fight capra. Especially considering the catacombs being connected to firelink is the developer's way of saying "Don't go the ways where enemies are too difficult."

The first time I played I tried going through the demon ruins after quelaag because there were no shortcuts back up to firelink (little did I know the shortcut back up was the way I came). After at least 2 hours of capra and taurus demons I hit a red fog i couldn't pass xD

I guess I wasn't clear. I completely agree that the lack of waypointing is probably one of the main obstacles to people getting into the game. What I meant was that, to me, this actually enhances the game in the long term.

But a message of some sort making clear to the player that "if you are frustrated by an area/boss there is probably another area you can explore as well" would probably be a good thing.

I'm not asking for hints at all, since I already have an idea where I want to go, but currently I have these options (that I know of)

There was a yellow gate in Anor Londo that I can pass now that I have the lord vessel

I can get the key I need in New Londo to drain the water there

I still haven't gotten very far into the catacombs due to the respawning skeletons

The Hydra Boss is still there, and I might have a little better luck killing it now with Soul Spear

There's a tower next to the Hyrda Boss that has a big knight that used to kick my ass, I think I could probably get past him now

I opened up the sealed door in the forest, but got pretty quickly killed by the assasins behind it. I might be able to handle that now?

There's still half of the Valley of Drakes I haven't seen yet

I opened up the path to the Lava area under Quellag's Domain and haven't touched it

And finally, I discovered the path to the Hallows when I was looping back through Blight Town to check for things I missed.

That could be an overwhelming set of choices if I wasn't aware of the structure of the game. I find it pretty freeing at the moment, but I definitely see how a lot of people would either run to an FAQ or quit completely given that list of options.

Now the part of this post that is a question. I got the lord vessel, and chatted with the lady a bit. It seemed clear that she wanted me to do something but, either because I wasn't paying attention or she wasn't clear, I have no idea what she actually wanted me to do. Storyline-wise, what's the next goal in the game? I don't mean specific locations, just goals. Up until now, it's been fairly clear. First it was "Ring the Two Bells" which then showed the video of the fortress opening, which then lead linearly into Anor Londo (but not the guy I was supposed to kill apparently.)

Edit: I should say that Anor Londo was my favorite zone so far. It stands in good contrast to Sen's Fortress and Blighttown.

Gwynevere asks you to succeed (her father) Lord Gwyn and restore the age of fire. To that end she gives you the lordvessel and tells you to seek out Kingseeker Frampt for guidance. He'll tell you what to do.

It's pretty cryptic but you can make more sense of it later.

Frampt asks you to

first place the lordvessel on the altar in Firelink Chamber, then fill it with powerful souls (Lord souls or parts of them) in order to unlock the gate leading... somewhere! :P

I don't remember her mentioning Frampt at all. That gives me an idea of who to talk to at least. For some reason, games that barely have any story in them end up getting me interested in the story the most.

he Hydra Boss is still there, and I might have a little better luck killing it now with Soul Spear

There's a tower next to the Hyrda Boss that has a big knight that used to kick my ass, I think I could probably get past him now

I opened up the sealed door in the forest, but got pretty quickly killed by the assasins behind it. I might be able to handle that now?

You can definitely handle all these things at the point you are.

Here are some major spoilers if you're looking for direction

The knight in the tower only opens a shortcut to Undead Berg. Though the knight does have an awesome drop.

The door in the gardens leads to a boss you need to open the boss fight in New londo. The boss fight in new londo opens the yellow fog in anor londo, demon ruins (under quelaag) and the catacombs (don't even bother continuing until after finishing new londo)

The hydra is pretty skippable, unless you have the DLC, in which case, you need to beat new londo first to get an item in Anor Londo to access it.

The hollow in blighttown can be skipped without much loss, except for a covenant and a miniboss. 

Fairly complex.

EDIT: Spoilter tags

Edited by jmb

The boss fight in new londo opens the yellow fog in anor londo

Got those back to front. Spot on otherwise.

Spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] without the spaces.

Yeah those are kind of ruined by the fact that you can easily stay at or near soul level 1 and still progress far enough to get some fairly ridiculous gear to harass new players with. I wonder if they'll do something to rectify or discourage that in DS2. On the other hand, I really like how flexible the gear system is.

There was a yellow gate in Anor Londo that I can pass now that I have the lord vessel

I can get the key I need in New Londo to drain the water there (Drained the city, didn't go much further.

I still haven't gotten very far into the catacombs due to the respawning skeletons

The Hydra Boss is still there, and I might have a little better luck killing it now with Soul Spear

I opened up the sealed door in the forest, but got pretty quickly killed by the assasins behind it. I might be able to handle that now? (Got all the way to the boss of the level, and he kicked my ass)

There's still half of the Valley of Drakes I haven't seen yet

I opened up the path to the Lava area under Quellag's Domain and haven't touched it

And finally, I discovered the path to the Hallows when I was looping back through Blight Town to check for things I missed.

Not bad for one night's work. I also am just about ready to start the DLC stuff.