Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

I find that third person action games like Dark Souls, Space Marine, and Darksiders, are much easier and smother with a game pad. When it comes to first person any thing I need M&K. I tried to play Syrim with a wired 360 game pad and could not deal with it. I had to go back to M&K.

Also most modern PC games work seamlessly with the wired 360 controller, so that is a no brainer if you play enough games.

I find that third person action games like Dark Souls, Space Marine, and Darksiders, are much easier and smother with a game pad. When it comes to first person any thing I need M&K. I tried to play Syrim with a wired 360 game pad and could not deal with it. I had to go back to M&K.

I thought M&K worked really well with Space Marine, possibly because it demanded frequent weapon switching. That is what is usually comes down to for me. With Skyrim I played with M&K for my wizard and mapped my magic missiles and spectral blades to the number keys. My warrior seemed better suited to a controller as the mapping of the left and right arms to the triggers feels more tactile.

The other thing that dictates what I use is where I'm going to be playing a game. If its on the TV a controller just feels more natural (maybe because I played consoles for so long).

I'm shocked that there are still PC gamers that don't own a wired 360 controller. It seems like an essential accessory at this point. Didn't Ubisoft hint that Ass Creed 3 will require a controller?

That franchise holds no interest for me, so I don't know.

Do you also think it's silly to dismiss people who try to play Street Fighter 4 with a keyboard?Or how about flight sims? Some games are designed with a particular device in mind, and you ignore that at your own peril.

I play flight sims without a joystick, and always have. I didn't even know Street Fighter on PC existed, and I've never tried, but I can see why this would be challenging. I don't see how you can compare Dark Souls to fighting games though. There is literally nothing in the design of Demon Souls or Dark Souls that inherently favors a gamepad, so your analogy doesn't hold up. Unless you count "the mouse stops working" as being in the scope of the design.

Plus, there is a huge difference between "the game is completely unplayable due to bugs" and "the game is more complicated or challenging". RE: First Person Shooters. So I'm not really sure what your point is.

What's much worse is when a game was obviously designed for a controller, but for some asinine reason that feature is cut out and you're force to use some half-assed attempt at a KB/M solution instead. See Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2.

I prefer both of these games on PC with M&K, and I've never had a problem with either.

Also most modern PC games work seamlessly with the wired 360 controller, so that is a no brainer if you play enough games.

Okay, but I am not talking about preference. There are certainly some games where I prefer a gamepad; I can't imagine playing InFamous or Prince of Persia without a gamepad, and I'm perfectly willing to say that there are games that seem tailored to a specific controller, as the previously mentioned fighting/flight sim genres can illustrate. However, in most of those cases the games aren't unplayable with a K&M.

I literally couldn't play Dark Souls because the mouse got stuck about 4 times. I'm being completely forgiving and ignoring the fact that the game will still spitting out 360 Button callouts, I can deal with having to memorize keybinds.

Someone finally tried to invade me, while in the poison lake in blight town. Dispatched him pretty quickly. Also I was dressed as a ninja, which clearly gave me the advantage.

Someone finally tried to invade me, while in the poison lake in blight town. Dispatched him pretty quickly. Also I was dressed as a ninja, which clearly gave me the advantage.

Blight town's poison lake? Was it a fat chick with a cleaver? That's one of the scripted NPC invasions.

Has anybody been on the receiving end of any actual invasions on the PC version? (Granted, on the 360 version i was invaded maybe only a dozen times in around a hundred hours of play time.)

I've won every time I've been invaded on PC, which totals seven times. I've had considerably more failed invasions where the fog doors go up and the invasion never connects properly. I've had decent success connecting in the Forest though, on either side of the equation.

Okay, but I am not talking about preference. There are certainly some games where I prefer a gamepad; I can't imagine playing InFamous or Prince of Persia without a gamepad, and I'm perfectly willing to say that there are games that seem tailored to a specific controller, as the previously mentioned fighting/flight sim genres can illustrate. However, in most of those cases the games aren't unplayable with a K&M.

I literally couldn't play Dark Souls because the mouse got stuck about 4 times. I'm being completely forgiving and ignoring the fact that the game will still spitting out 360 Button callouts, I can deal with having to memorize keybinds.

"There is literally nothing in the design of Demon Souls or Dark Souls that inherently favors a gamepad", but you can't imagine playing InFamous or Prince of Persia without a gamepad? You're seriously going to try to make that argument?

And your mouse got "stuck"? Are you sure you didn't inadvertently activate the the game's lock-on targeting feature?

I had no problem with either of those games with kb/m

I prefer both of these games on PC with M&K, and I've never had a problem with either.

Really? I mean it didn't prevent me from playing the games, but it sure as hell wasn't the optimal experience.

I played Bioshock 2 recently, and it was constantly making me wish I could just use my 360 controller like I could in the original. Too many actions that need to be performed constantly to comfortably bind to a mouse, not enough hotkeys for those that don't, totally nonsensical numbering for the weapon hokeys... I would have grudgingly accepted all of these if it weren't for the terrible mouselook implementation. It felt like I was using a mouse to emulate an analogue stick to emulate mouse to emulate a person's head. Can we throw any more layers of abstraction on there? Again, it was all technically possible to deal with without "problems", but it just felt like a chore just to look around.

It's been a lot longer since I played Mass Effect 2, but I remember it being a pretty similar experience.

I got invaded twice, once under the Wyvern Bridge, this one was early on and terrified me because I still did not have a grasp on the mechanics. I quickly died. The next one was in the bottom of Blight Town near the entrance of Quelaags Domain. I was busy with those annoying mosquitoes , and for some reason I did not realize that I was being invaded. The guy stabbed me in the back just as I realized he was there. Man fuck those mosquitoes.

But I also had my first invasion of another person. This was in Darkroot Garden, in the section with all the stone knights. first I awaken all of the knights and ents, and got them all to follow. The host had just entered this section, and at this point all of the knights and ent agrowed on him. He tried to fight, but was quickly overwhelmed. It didn't help that the knights where casting slow on him.

Man talk about heart racing gaming experiences. Also I fell real bad bad after this. But i feel bad killing guards in Metal Gear games so meh.

I don't know, I really felt fine playing bioshock 2 and mass effect 2, never felt janky to me. I'd never play bioshock 2 on a controller regardless because fuck that shit when it comes to a fps. On the guy that invaded me, he really didn't know what he was getting into. 2 hits from my black knight sword +3 kind of ended him.

The other night I kept getting summoned by a guy who was co-operating with his invader. First time I was trying to occupy the invader and just block so he could backstab but the host just ran off and I eventually died (not a big deal as a phantom). Then it happened again and I saw them hanging out, the invader was using the dark hand humanity leech thing on the host so not sure what they were up to.

Presumably one was infinite humanity cheating and the other wasn't able to, so he just siphoned as much as he wanted.

Today I finished watching the 85th and final episode of the Dark Souls playthrough. Though pathetic, it's a great – and the only – way for me to get to see the whole game. I'm very impressed by the audacity of the design, and equally impressed that so many players have actually powered through and completed the game, especially the first ones, who had to find out everything themselves and couldn't just look it up. The lack of hand-holding and the amount of weird stuff you just have to find out through experimentation and chance is astounding. After having watched most of the game being played (I'm sure there were a couple of areas, enemies and bosses he didn't get to) I still find the regular enemy combat far more interesting than the boss fights. I failed at explaining this earlier, but it has to do with regular combat feeling real, with enemies of more or less similar sizes doing actual attacking, blocking, parrying and dodging with animation that looks and sounds natural and authentic. With the larger bosses, there's more of the video-gamy disconnect where a huge model will spend ten seconds doing its Overly Complicated Special Attack animation, all the while the player can keep stabbing and cutting it without any reaction whatsoever.

I was doing really well against a gargoyle boss untill suddenly something happened that made me sad:(

I thought the 2nd HP bar was a bug for a few seconds untill i died in a fire.

I couldn't stop playing this game until I got all of the trophies. I was similarly entranced with Demon's Souls. This made it into my top ten games. Unfortunately it is a bit easier than it's predecessor. Still a ton of fun.

There is some thing really satisfying about being high leveled, with a fully upgraded weapon, and going through the early parts of the game just wasting everything in the way. I didn't go into the lower undead burg, until after I got passed Anor Londo. Man the Carpa Daemon stood no chance. Right now even though I can kill any regular enemy with one or two shots, I am still getting killed by just cocky play, where I rush into a battle and get overwhelmed by a mob. It was a big game changer when I learned to dodge and parry properly. I just run around with real light armor and a plus 15 Iaito and plus 5 chaos blade for regular enemys, and a plus 5 Black Knight sword for boss fights.

I didn't go into the lower undead burg, until after I got passed Anor Londo.

Wait, wait...

What?

Wait, wait...

What?

I didn't know where the door to the lower part was. I even went all the way through Blight Town from the Vally of Drakes up until I hit the locked door to the Depths. I was wondering why all the enemies where facing the wrong way. Must be a bug, you dumb designers. I guess I'm the dumb designer after all. The depth where a joke at the level I was at. And it became my go to place for farming humanity .

You can actually skip Lower Undeadburg, The Depths, and most of Blighttown if you really wanted to. All you need is that Master Key.

The Black Knight weapons can get to plus 5 with out the large ember, if you have the twinkling titanite. And at plus three it or so the weapon will be just as strong as most plus ten, and at plus 5 it will be just as strong as a lot of plus fifteen weapons.

Yeah, but you're using a Black Knight weapon and are therefor a babymans.

Notched Whip all the way.

Hey it took me like a good 10 minutes to kill that black knight, I mean the time I actually killed him, I actually fought him for like 30-40 minutes, knowing that I could plausibly kill him. So of course I'm going to use that sword!