Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

I'm not King of action games or anything, and obviously mêléè combat would include a lot of timing attacks and so on. This isn't what I'm referring to, rather some more extreme cases where particular attack/movement animations last for so long, it's almost like they couldn't come up with a proper "weakness". To clarify, an enemy exposed by being stunned by something, or overreaching and having to recover etc. is not what I'm referring to, but rather just slow, drawn out regular movements that look unnatural in combat. I know it's not uncommon in action games, but the regular combat animations are so good in Dark Souls, I guess they just stick out a bit more.

I'm still not entirely sure what you're getting at. When I talk about characters overextending themselves, I don't mean they literally overextend on a swing and trip or something, I mean they choose an attack that takes a long time to wind up or which takes a while to recover from, thereby exposing themselves to a counterattack.

Both of the bosses before you get to the blacksmith are of the "Massive, hulking beast with similarly massive club" variety, which means lots of slow, lumbering movements and clumsy, exaggerated swings, so could that be it?

haha thats amazing orv. I feel like I saw that a long time ago but it was fresh now. The best part is at 1:10, so fucking true, the whispered voice, "Welcome to Dark Souls"

pretty much sums up my impression of Dark Souls.

The mimics in Dark Souls are terrifying the first few times, but you quickly learn how to tell them apart from real chests.

Of course, that doesn't really help when they get up and start chasing you.

Preloading now! I'm looking forward to everyone starting from scratch, the undead berg should be a lot of fun tonight. Will be great seeing new secrets being discovered in the new parts as well.

By the way for those unaware, the main point of controversey with this version is that the PC port is limited to running at the same sub-HD resolution of the console versions, stretched no matter what. They must have hard coded some postprocessing or UI or something that made it too difficult to uncouple the resolution. Pretty piss poor.

It irritates me as somebody who works in publishing, an industry constantly struggling to justify its existence, that a lot of people are so quick to blame From Software for the quality of the port, when they are buying it from Namco. In my eyes, Namco holds complete responsibility for any known technical/quality issues in what they choose to publish. That's their job.

There's a thread on NeoGAF by a guy who is apparently developing a workaround to allow it to run at higher resolutions. As of this post he hasn't actually released it as it's still in testing and so forth. Those of you playing the PC version may want to keep an eye on it.

There's a thread on NeoGAF by a guy who is apparently developing a workaround to allow it to run at higher resolutions. As of this post he hasn't actually released it as it's still in testing and so forth. Those of you playing the PC version may want to keep an eye on it.

Yeah it's only a matter of time before something like that exists. Possibly multiple somethings.

Game's out, and so is Durante's resolution fix. The port feels pretty unoptimized, but it looks fantastic running at higher, native resolutions

Edit: Turns out it's having some wonky performance on ATI cards, seems to be getting solid 30fps on almost all half decent nVidia cards.

Running fine, looks fine without any res fix. Hilariously, the res fix means you can't read soapsigns.

Yeah I'm not convinced the res fix will be plain sailing throughout and it does look fine without.

Unfortunately I'm not getting great performance with my 3ghz C2D and Nvidia 560Ti, all the badly optimised bits from the PS3 version are a little choppier and parry timing feels way off. That might just be the different controller.

Running fine, looks fine without any res fix. Hilariously, the res fix means you can't read soapsigns.

He just released an updated version that fixes that and more.

I disagree, I think the improvement is profound and now that the message bug is fixed I thoroughly recommend it to everyone. That said, I haven't seen it running in Blighttown yet. That area was a framerate nightmare on the console versions, and since no optimisation has taken place since then it's possible that the resolution fix may aggravate that issue.

Well, this is bloody hard. It didn't help that i went to the graveyard it seems. I'm really loving it though. The need to desperately seek the next bonfire versus the want to go collecting glowing things is horrible (in a good way). I also had a five minute slow circle with two well armoured spear wielding skellies on some battlements. Neither of us would make a move, but i lost horribly when i finally did.

Is running away a good option?

Edit: I'm getting slowdown in random places too, which is uncool.

Well, this is bloody hard. It didn't help that i went to the graveyard it seems. I'm really loving it though. The need to desperately seek the next bonfire versus the want to go collecting glowing things is horrible (in a good way). I also had a five minute slow circle with two well armoured spear wielding skellies on some battlements. Neither of us would make a move, but i lost horribly when i finally did.

Is running away a good option?

Edit: I'm getting slowdown in random places too, which is uncool.

Running away is definitely an option, but they will chase you surprisingly far, and if you don't know where you're going you'll just end up getting in a fight another set of enemies and have to deal with the original guys at the same time. Your first time through an area you should probably just kill everything that picks a fight with you.

Protip -

If you don't feel a confident in an area, don't ping the bonfire. Getting stuck respawning into a zone you're completely ill equipped to deal with can be real bad.

Also, that damn graveyard, everybody seems to hit up the graveyard first. Every time i hear a story about somebody having a bad first impression of the game, it's because they immediately went and beat their head against the skeletons fruitlessly.

The graveyard (and a couple other areas that are immediately or almost-immediately accessible with the Master Key) is great for dumping all your souls into levels right when you get to Lordran and then running and picking up a bunch of great stuff. I love my Grass Crest shield.

Let it be stated for the record that Blightown is the anus of the anus of Hell. No matter how well I know it.

Let it be stated for the record that Blightown is the anus of the anus of Hell. No matter how well I know it.

I don't know, Blighttown is relatively easy as long as you take it slow and play cautiously. I actually had way more trouble the second time I did it, because I knew where to go and kept trying to rush through it. Now that I'm playing the PC version, I just played carefully and got through it with minimal difficulty.

Blighttown isn't so bad once you clear out the non-respawning blow dart guys. (Also, I had recently heard that if you poison yourself with the dung that some of the other enemies there drop? Poison and toxin can't stack, and poison is way less harmful.)

The Tomb of the Giants was what i found to be the most difficult area of the game, holy shit. Confusing, dangerous, narrow pathways, complete pitch-blackness, and swarms of some of the most difficult enemies in the game.