Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

On backstabbing:

Fsp6k4830a0

The first part of that video is also helpful. I've been playing a thief lately in Anor Londo. I've been abusing backstab chains pretty heavily, but it's almost always more interesting when someone manages to get out of it and I actually have to fight them. Sure, utterly destroying someone is fun, but it's more fun when you actually have to duke it out with them.

Sidenote: If you haven't done a DEX build, try it and grab the Uchigatana. That thing is great.

Also, if someone uses the bow emote from closer than five feet away, punish them for it. While I'm all for neat and tidy duels in just about every other PvP RPG in existence, stupidity can be, should be, and is punishable by death in Dark Souls.

Edited by Orvidos

I had no idea people had codified it to this degree, i was just always spamming the roll in random directions on recovery and it seemed to work out well for me.

I've been playing Dark Souls and I love it, even more than I thought I would.

The transition from a module-world-with-a-hub to an open, seamless world is probably my favorite change, instead of Super Mario X I get Super Mario 64* and the feeling of discovery that carried (

also the Painted World...

).

I also love pyromancy, especially for low-level characters or later if you don't build any Fire/Flame? weapons or you want to muck around with Combustion/Iron Flesh/Power Within.

I've got some beef with Attunement but in the end limited number of "casts" and a secondary slot-stat probably is balanced. I.e. you can fight with magic but then you are mostly fucked in other combat, or you can use magic to support your melee character. And don't get me started on Resistance, it's like Luck but even more odd... At least Luck had Blue Blood Sword and Large Sword of Searching while Resistance reinforces the same stats as all armor? It just feels so useless...

* Arguably Firelink Shrine is an analogue to the Castle.

I literally never put points into Resistance, and from what I could tell I was no weaker than anyone else. Maybe in NG+ or ++ or later it becomes more important, but pre-patch (as I can only speak for pre-patch) it was entirely unnecessary for a first playthrough.

I literally never put points into Resistance, and from what I could tell I was no weaker than anyone else. Maybe in NG+ or ++ or later it becomes more important, but pre-patch (as I can only speak for pre-patch) it was entirely unnecessary for a first playthrough.

Yes, I'd rather put points into any other stat than Resistance. It's just so odd that they put it in there?

Yes, I'd rather put points into any other stat than Resistance. It's just so odd that they put it in there?

I think it would have been better if resistance really made a difference not just to your overall damage intake, but how much you could resist of lightning, poison, magic, all those damage modifiers that are tough to fight against sometimes in PVP and in PvE. Especially considering most of the shields barely protect against lightning damage or curse

I think it would have been better if resistance really made a difference not just to your overall damage intake, but how much you could resist of lightning, poison, magic, all those damage modifiers that are tough to fight against sometimes in PVP and in PvE. Especially considering most of the shields barely protect against lightning damage or curse

Spoilers for where you find shields:

Well – Eagle Shield and Effigy Shield, found in Blighttown (coming down from the Depths) and Tomb of the Giants respectively, both have good defence against lightning damage. Something like 80 for Eagle Shield and 90 for Effigy Shield IIRC. For magic damage you should go for the Crest Shield in Undead Asylum (when you return) and for poison damage you can grab the Gold-Hemmed Black set and Spider Shield.

I'm exciting about the potential mods and framerate improvements in a PC version, but I'd also worry about too many hacks and mods ruining the online experience. They need to police it very tightly.

Awesome. The very series that most tempted me to get a ps3.

Terrible*. Another one in a series of what seem like fantastic games that are too stressful for me to be able to play them. I wish Giant Bomb would do a playthrough of this instead of that boring game Chrono Trigger.

*Awesome

I have been watching this for months, and im so happy the PC version is real.

I only have a 360 and I don't have/want gold, but the multiplayer stuff was one of the most intriguing parts.

I am prepared to die!

Yea all you PC only people NEED to play this game. and play it with a gamepad too. I can't imagine it working well with a keyboard

Oh hey, so this PC version is going to have new bosses and areas, that's pretty awesome.

So it sounds like the PC version is getting at least three new areas and at least three new bosses, that is a very significant expansion.

It's also going to be GFW Live.

Yea all you PC only people NEED to play this game. and play it with a gamepad too. I can't imagine it working well with a keyboard

What you have to realize about this is that with M&K you could have mouselook. Which means the locking system wouldn't be necessary, and the locking system is a big part of Dark/Demon's Souls on consoles.

I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of whoever's working out how the controls will work.

New stuff starts a 40 seconds in.

The gross giant hand, the dragon, and the lion thing.

That would affirm three new bosses and three new areas.

Sadly, and unsurprisingly, the PC port will use GFWL. That's me out at least.

Why would any developer still do that? ;( Aren't there a million alternatives that are better by now?

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

Exactly, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to just use some sort of two cans and a string tech, as even that would be better.

Terrible*. Another one in a series of what seem like fantastic games that are too stressful for me to be able to play them. I wish Giant Bomb would do a playthrough of this instead of that boring game Chrono Trigger.

*Awesome

I am going to say that this would be interesting for only two reasons:

1. Listening to everyone flip out and just having the episode end really quickly and abruptly.

2. It would probably be the first one that they just didn't finish the game.

Really hoping that there is an active mod scene for this, just thinking about player created Dark Souls levels/boss/enemies is awesome.