Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

For Taurus, I pelted him with Firebombs and kept my distance. About 11 firebombs will kill him.

As for the lift that comes down from the Undead Parish to the firelink shrine

you can fall down there and there are 4 chests full of really useful items, I missed that completely on my first play through

I found that when i was starting out, it's a lot of very helpful beginner gear.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on some of the wiki guides for the game, i'm sure people will find a lot of cool stuff. (Right now there is nothing helpful anywhere, the way the game autosaves has been impeding anybody writing any comprehensive guide information.)

Anybody else found the optional dungeons? There's a bunch that aren't strictly necessary to finishing the game, like the return trip to the to the undead asylum and the world in the painting... Are the great hollow and the ash lake even required? Some of the covenants are incredibly obscured and difficult to find too, the Darkwraith covenant requires gaming the main quest a fair bit. Just loads of optional bosses, multiple endings, and so many hidden items. It's a long game, but i'm already interested in doing NG+ runs.

Yea I did some of the optional dungeons, including the return to the asylum, really fun and tough boss fight that actually prepared me for two later fights on the main path.

So... after my recent move I'm playing my 360 on a 4:3 PC monitor. Far from ideal but better than nothing. The biggest issue though is that when the sun fills the room that has the 360, I can't really see the screen.

So, I tried to soldier on half an hour ago but it turns out that the last thing I need is a handicap when playing this game. I have to wait for nightfall. Which actually feels kind of thematically suitable.

Does this forum have an emote for face-palming resignation?

I have made many irreversible mistakes in fairly rapid succession, and I am frustrated with my mistake making.

Does this forum have an emote for face-palming resignation?

I have made many irreversible mistakes in fairly rapid succession, and I am frustrated with my mistake making.

I don't think I've done anything irreversible on this playthrough, but I am in the depressed phase of playing Dark Souls that alternates with the excited phase. I lost 20000 souls because someone invaded me and cheesed me with some kind of poison bomb that I couldn't counter in any way that I could find and then just ran away and blocked while my health slowly ticked down. At this stage in the game, that is a lot of souls.

I am very tired and sad.

I don't think I've done anything irreversible on this playthrough,
You probably have and don't realize it, there's things like hidden NPC invader phantoms with rare items to drop that will disappear if you don't encounter them before fighting the boss in that area. A lot of one-chance kind of things.

This doesn't seem like a game you can do a 100% clear on, there's just varying degrees of how badly you've screwed up before finding the final boss.

but I am in the depressed phase of playing Dark Souls that alternates with the excited phase. I lost 20000 souls because someone invaded me and cheesed me with some kind of poison bomb that I couldn't counter in any way that I could find and then just ran away and blocked while my health slowly ticked down. At this stage in the game, that is a lot of souls.

I am very tired and sad.

I just lost 37 thousand souls and 3 humanities not long ago. It hurts.

I also broke a covenant, had to kill a bunch of newly hostile NPC's, and accumulated sin that will now have Darkmoon players hunting me. (At my level, getting the one NPC to pardon me of my sins and reset the NPC hostility would have necessitated hours of grinding souls, i didn't think it was worth it.)

I also messed up an incredibly long event chain that has been carrying on through most of the game.

A few other things too. Kind of one after the other. Don't play Dark Souls when you're groggy, i guess?

Edit: Also, it was probably dung that drops from one of the enemies in Blight Town. Toxin does way more damage than poison, there's no way boost resistance to it, and the items that cure it are rare. (The blooming something something, the treants in the Darkroot Garden occasionally drop it.)

Edit: Also, it was probably dung that drops from one of the enemies in Blight Town. Toxin does way more damage than poison, there's no way boost resistance to it, and the items that cure it are rare. (The blooming something something, the treants in the Darkroot Garden occasionally drop it.)

Yeah, having now been in Blighttown I think that's exactly what it was. At the time I hadn't been there, had no idea what toxic status was or how to cure it and lost everything.

I'm somewhat in the "up" phase of playing again now because I just killed a boss and that always makes you feel better about everything you've been through up to that point.

x9ymysN3qQ8

I think i'll just leave this here, it pretty much speaks for itself.

I think this proves the DotA postulate really well.

By which I mean, there's a hard skill ceiling on the physical aspects of DotA/Demon's/Dark Souls. You can only be so good at last hitting/blinking/dodging/blocking/etc before there's just no further up that ladder you can go.

But what really proves how good you are at these games is your knowledge. What's the cooldown/range on that ability? What's the attack pattern for this mob? What's the cost of this item? How many hits does this boss take to kill with this item.

I love this game. (Dark Souls)

I also quite like the comment on the second video;

This guy simply walks into Mordor. . .in record time.

I managed to break through my barrier over the weekend. Defeated Mr. T and after that everything started happening a bit more. Bell Golems are my current bane. I also have many other options to explore right now which feels good.

I'm pretty adept at close combat at this point as long as I have room to manoeuvre around enemies. I managed to get a hold of a heal spell which has proved invaluable. I use it pre/post combat because of the time it takes and estus' for emergency mid battle healing but I desperately need some form of decent ranged attack for bosses now, I'm too weak to face them up close. Preferably some form of magic as arrows and bolts are too much of a chore to keep in stock and pretty weak.

It feels like everything has opened up now and I'm really enjoying exploring this game.

...and now I've just seen Sno's video. I am so inferior!

That speed run to the first bell... That is so infuriating to know I am so close, those two gargoyles always gang up on me and kill me.

Going to have to cheap that dragon for the sword it drops so that I can take on the that terrible twosome.

I saw that video, immediately went for the dragon's tail, then missed all my hits and got burned to death. Yaaaay!

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

If you're talking about the Drake Sword, a much easier way to get it is to get a shortbow from the merchant in Undead Burg and shoot its tail continuously from under the bridge it's guarding. You will need 12 dexterity to use the bow properly though. Then take it in two hands and press L1 (I'm guessing LB on 360) to aim.

That is exactly what I am planning to do when I get home in 5 hours time.

Then I am going to steam roll over a few of the bosses I had previously killed with my other character.

5:30 can't come soon enough.

The Drake Sword is kind of the scrub weapon in the game, it's a high level weapon that is extremely easy to get very early in the game. It also doesn't have any skill-derived stat growth and tops out pretty low once upgraded, so it's eventually outpaced by other weapons, but it can easily last you twenty to thirty hours if you're not grinding for upgrades on other weapons or something.

It's worth emphasizing that the demon/twinkling titanite and dragon scale-upgraded weapons are, in general, unable to compete with the standard weapons once they've been pushed all the way down one of the upgrade paths. I personally use a unique short sword with a bleed status effect upgraded to fire +10. The raw damage is something like 220 physical and 220 fire, and it retains that bleed effect, so it's kind of crazy.

Edited by Sno

Beat the Gargoyles last night and rang the bell. Man, I am glad that it is over, however I am not sure where to go next.

I defeated the skeletons in the graveyard, got further down only to discover some exploding skulls that ressucitate skeletons in the vicinity.

I already

killed the Rat Queen or whatever she is

, and I am not sure I fancy going after either the areas where the two black smiths can be found.

I will probably play around a bit more in the place I put in spoiler tags but I know that there are some pretty nasty things that can happen there.

Edited by twmac

If you want to know probably the best place to go after ringing the first bell, read this spoiler:

If you go out of the side door of the church (on the right if you're looking towards the altar) you'll see a straight bridge directly ahead of you. Go across that and you'll come to a bonfire. Below the bonfire is a blacksmith who will repair and upgrade your equipment, and below him his a titanite demon. You don't have to fight it, and it is pretty hard, but it is a perma-death monster so if you manage to kill it you can come and go as you please down here. Past the demon is an area called Darkroot Garden, which is realistically the next area you probably want to do.

Oh additionally, once you've been in the church in Undead Parish you can activate an elevator to the left of the altar that takes you back to Firelink Shrine and permanently opens up a shortcut to that effect between the two.

Yeah, I was afraid you would say that. I am not keen on trying to run past that creature, nor do I fancy fighting it either.

I'll root around underneath the

Capra Demon

for a while instead until I can summon the courage to deal with that thing next.

Battle Axes are pretty handy once you can wield them.

If you're near the

Capra Demon

then you must be in the lower Undead Burg, which is actually where I went after doing the main area of Darkroot Garden and fighting its boss,

the Moonlight Butterfly.

I might have accidentally killed the bridge guarding Red Dragon.

I was at the beginning of the Undead Parish in that tower that used to have the one Black Knight. I saw the dragon off in the distance sitting with its back toward me, so I thought I'd fire an arrow at it, see what happens. I hit it, it flies off, but instantly disappears. Then I fall off that tower and as I'm healing myself from the fall, I get 10000 souls and the dragon is gone, seemingly for good.

If I had to guestimate, I'd say I glitched it falling down making the dragon despawn, but for some reason counting it as a kill?

tl;dr: I killed a giant red dragon with 1 arrow.

It's quite a well known exploitable glitch. I was looking for some legit advice on killing the dragon besides sniping it from below for 10 minutes (again) and mostly just found people suggesting that.

Apparently poison arrows is a good way to go. I refuse to use the glitch and someone told me that you can try to go head to head or get underneath the bridge and poison arrow the git.

Man, totally thought I had discovered something potentially exciting there.

I might have accidentally killed the bridge guarding Red Dragon.

I was at the beginning of the Undead Parish in that tower that used to have the one Black Knight. I saw the dragon off in the distance sitting with its back toward me, so I thought I'd fire an arrow at it, see what happens. I hit it, it flies off, but instantly disappears. Then I fall off that tower and as I'm healing myself from the fall, I get 10000 souls and the dragon is gone, seemingly for good.

If I had to guestimate, I'd say I glitched it falling down making the dragon despawn, but for some reason counting it as a kill?

tl;dr: I killed a giant red dragon with 1 arrow.

I've heard a lot people saying they did this,

attacking it from that tower apparently makes it clip through the world geometry and "fall" to its death. (And it's a mini-boss, so it doesn't respawn.)

Anyways, I've really hit an impasse with the Tomb of the Giants. It's the only thing i have left to do in the game, but i just get fucking destroyed in there. By far the hardest part of the game, i think. (Even once you find one of several means to provide light in the area.)

Also, apparently From has been publishing patch notes for the upcoming update on their Japanese site.

The Google translations i've seen aren't exactly clear, but it seems that they're going to implement a lot of PVP-focused balance changes. The Ring of Fog, which keeps people from locking onto you, is being nerfed. It sounds like stat-growth modifiers are being buffed just in general. (Since, as it stands, there's basically no reason to go for a heavy strength/dexterity build. Lightning/Fire weapons vastly exceed the damage potential of even a +15 normal with good modifiers, with the added benefit of you having been able to focus skill points into things like vitality and endurance, rather than strength/dex.) There was also something about shields and magic defense. Also various netcode fixes, and it sounded like they might be adding a way to organize co-op with friends. (Sounded like, Google translate and all.)

Also been reading about some of the bugs in the game, there aren't too many big issues, but there are issues. (And neither of the following issues are apparently being addressed yet.)

The game will rarely drop inputs just randomly, which i know is something i've definitely experienced and been frustrated by. At first i thought it must have been my fault, but it happened enough that it was obviously the game, and obviously it's happening to other people. Very annoying in such a precision-demanding game. (Also, not a bug, but i find the way it buffers moves very annoying. Getting overly enthusiastic about spamming that attack button can lock you into very lengthy chained attack animations. You'll hit attack twice, the first attack will miss and you'll realize you need to block instead, but your dude is still carrying out the second attack you buffered during the first. Annoying.)

I've also read that the game can dive into a constant autosave state that has been reported to overheat consoles and wear out hard-drives. (The flame in the corner won't disappear if it starts.) Apparently something to do with the NPC Lautrec is the most common trigger. (I remember my game actually started doing this, but stopped when i

killed him shortly after meeting him

.)

Edited by Sno