Orv

Magicka

That's uh... pretty weird.

I'm honestly not sure what else to say, other than that making standard weapon attacks ranged in Magicka may be great or totally pointless and boring.

I still haven't dropped the M60 playing through the Adventure. It's a good weapon, and makes me wish they included more ranged medieval weapons. They work on the annoying little swarm enemies, without having to spam ice or rocks.

This game is essentially an environment pallet swap (some of those assets probably exist in the marsh) and a helmet for the player. The game will still play the exact same way probably.

Which is good. I look forward to the story, and getting another major version release of the code. It gives the company the ability to focus on development milestones that they normally wouldn't build for in just support mode. Some of which may be baselined into the main game, such as proper save support, PVP and networking updates.

Oh regarding the wizard swarm, I had a lot of luck just hitting 5x(RQ) ice AOE. You need to kill those guys at about the same time because they keep rezing each other. Also if you fire arcane + anything beams you have a chance of crossing the streams with one of the opponent casters and really messing things up.

And in general, when surrounded shield+rock* AOE gives you great protection. Those wizards will end up killing themselves most of the time if you're shielded up.

Is it just me or was there a totally Cannon Fodder vibe in that video?

This was on RPS.

MtJQwqmogjM

Edited by Kolzig

I still haven't finished the single player game and haven't tried multiplayer because of all this talk about glitches. I wish they'd fix that before making expansions. But it is funny.

Magicka is on sale at Steam to celebrate the Vietnam expansion that came out! I finally got a copy! :tup:

Yesterday I "finished" the game with some friends. I say "finished", because our proposed Magicka evening quickly devolved into my graphics card locking up and watching them finish the game having played only five minutes myself.

I am never touching this game again, this fucking buggy game. It reminds me of exactly why console gaming is so popular: it's easy and it works effortlessly. Magicka is a great game, but with shite technical execution.

Yeah, seems I have to get Magicka now. You really can't say no to a discount like that one.

List keeps growing, list keeps growing...

And in any case I won't get to play this game for a long time still, so they'll propably fix the bugs before that. :tup:

When I'm done with my backlog they'll have made Magicka 2! :hah:

But seriously, it's still that buggy? They release DLC without fixing the game? :eek:

But seriously, it's still that buggy? They release DLC without fixing the game? :eek:

yeah :/

I'd been holding off on this game, but for $5 I'll give it a shot - bugs and all hah.

My friends and I had been looking for something new anyways... We're getting rather burnt out on League of Legends for something to just pick up and play for an hour at a time.

Yesterday I "finished" the game with some friends. I say "finished", because our proposed Magicka evening quickly devolved into my graphics card locking up and watching them finish the game having played only five minutes myself.

I am never touching this game again, this fucking buggy game. It reminds me of exactly why console gaming is so popular: it's easy and it works effortlessly. Magicka is a great game, but with shite technical execution.

Has less to do with the limited hardware diversity, and more to do with the fact that people like Microsoft force your game to be of a certain quality to get certified. This studio just took on more than they could achieve.

Not only was the defect queue huge, they left out key features they'd initially planned for like multiplayer.

Has anyone actually tried Vietnam yet? I'm really into the idea, but don't know if I'm down to open the wallet yet...

I assume you have to beat the main game to play it? Because I don't see it on the menu? Although I'm new to the game and wouldn't know much anyway... :erm:

I'm having lots of fun so far and I haven't encountered any glitches so far. *crosses fingers*

I only wish there was a way to "memorize" your favorite spells and quick cast them...:hmph:

The glitches mostly occur when trying to play MP - which is the only way to play it really.

Oddly enough, I just reached a point in the game where it's no longer fun to play solo....:blink:

I also played one of the Vietnam missions, it seems you have to beat the whole mission without dying? MADNESS! I guess that's why it in the challenges section, but still, it's annoying!

Who do have Magicka Thumb night here, right? Because it's becoming less and less fun to play alone! :tmeh:

We shelved it after initial netcode problems. We should probably look into trying it again to see if it's mostly fixed before buying Vietnam.

I'd definitely rather they implement stuff like character based saves, level select, drop in multiplayer and a checkpoint system in case you have to leave your computer 3/4 through a level. Also general bug fixes would be appreciated.

I only wish there was a way to "memorize" your favorite spells and quick cast them...:hmph:

This is implemented. Unfortunately it's just called "using your actual memory.":grin: I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I honestly don't think remembering or hitting 2-5 button presses is that taxing or time consuming, respectively.

I'm a huge fan of how learning abilities flows in this game from experimentation to repetition to memorization to muscle memorization.

I feel like more systems would make it more rote or sloppy. For example if a number press filled a bar with elements, how would that work with a half full bar? Knowing how to naturally empty your bar is a skill in itself, so I feel an automatic empty and fill would be against the other systems. Then we have to deal with canceling/mixing elements. On the other hand, the ability to instantly fill and cast would remove the chance of mistaken element use, which can sometimes lead to new interesting spells. Then there's the big issue of lightning heavy spells having to compound the self damage when wet.

I don't really think there are any glaring issues with the spell casting system. If anything I think the ability to be repetitious/uncreative and successful is far too high. Adding in AI that react to how you cast and use spells to counter your commonly used abilities would be much more worthwhile.

Doesn't the game have a near infinite number of spell permutations? It would be nice to be able to remember a few, but I guess the game does have more pressing issues...

How exactly do you play online? Steam gave me a serial number, but it didn't tell me where to use it, I thought the game would ask me for it the moment I entered online mode, which I can't get to work. I'll try again later, but I know I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: I just remembered that never fixed Lucidity, that game from Lucasarts that looked nice but was broken as hell, so maybe we should stop buying buggy games and hope they fix it later? Although I'm hoping Magicka online won't be as broken as Lucidity... ;(

Edited by Tanukitsune

Fucking Lucidity. I paid $2.50 for that game and still felt ripped off. That's the only time that's ever happened.

So, I hear tell from various sourci that the netcode is mostly not shit now. Is there a contingent of fellows who haven't finished the game and would like to co-op it through in a weekend or two?

I'm up for giving it another go. You're on Central TIme though aren't you, so might prove tricky...

I could be convinced. However, you probably wouldn't want to, as:

1: I am shit at fast-paced games

2: I have RSI and need to take regular breaks before my tendons snap like over-tightened violin strings.

So if you want a Shitty Wizard... here I am?

Fucking Lucidity. I paid $2.50 for that game and still felt ripped off. That's the only time that's ever happened.

I quite liked Lucidity.

I'm up for giving it another go. You're on Central TIme though aren't you, so might prove tricky...

Mountain, so the problem remains regardless of semantics. :violin:

But I can probably swing something for your time-zone.

And Subbes, that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to play Magicka in a sitting in the first place, that's for sure.