Orv

Magicka

I really wish I had time to play this game. I'll probably buy it soon.

Have the patches fixed most of the problems?

I really wish I had time to play this game. I'll probably buy it soon.

Have the patches fixed most of the problems?

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but the Adventure mode has never crashed on me (but is slooowww occasionally). Don't know if that says anything about whether they are fixed.

I'm going to keep my eye on this game. If they fix the multiplayer problems with a patch, then I'll be on it like white on rice.

I found the Master Sword from Zelda. This made me very happy. The shadows keep fucking up for me, making the world flicker a bunch. That aside, I'm relatively bug-free. I wish they could get their shit together a bit more on that front, because otherwise this game is incredibly fun.

Just picked it up on a whim. Not sure if the bugs are all fixed or not though, but if definitely willing to play with some thumbs!

qfqfsaa-m2 (right click)

wow is that beam powerful. it creates a beam of steam and lightning. The steam soaks the enemies, and works with the lightning for massive damage. Since it's steam and not water, it doesn't fall under the opposites rule.

R-E-spacebar is a bit game breaking too. Oops! all Wizard time.

Just watched an episode of the floppy haired c*** show on the Xbox channel, there was noise to the effect that there might be an X360 port.

Would that even work?

Just watched an episode of the floppy haired c*** show on the Xbox channel, there was noise to the effect that there might be an X360 port.

Would that even work?

You can already play with a controller, I believe.

Yeah you can. I'm not quite sure how aiming would work. Nick said on twitter (in response to Chris asking how the controllers were) that it wasn't good.

I think the loss for me would be on the spell side. This game has the great Starcraft micro, high APM feel when you're just banging out spells at full speed. It pretty much accepts the element inputs as fast as you can type them and the only delay between spells is the casting animation (which doesn't prevent loading of the next spell).

I can't see myself ever doing my Water Freeze Earth Freeze combos, where you can maximize the damage by charging the Rockball, while needing a quick freeze afterwards to keep the enemy locked.

Hmmm, well I shall twiddle my thumbs in the hope that this might happen, and that the controller issues are resolved.

Looks like a really fun 4 player game, I am all about 4 player stuff.

The game is totally playable with gamepads. It really is. I've played a fair bit of local coop using gamepads and there haven't really been any problems. That said, it is unequivocally not the best way to play the game. The keyboard is superior, without a doubt, but gamepads are adequate and in the Adventure it's not really about powergaming. In the Challenges... ok, you might not want to use a pad.

The netcode seems loads more stable now, although to run a 4p game you'll need a serious connection. My 1mb upload can cope with 2p... Any more and it's too laggy.

The game was written with XNA i believe, so an xbox port would be highly likely.

So I bought Magicka today and then I played and then I died and I fell off a cliff and electrocuted myself and then there was a Star Wars reference and then I drowned and then there was a beholder but not a beholder and there were partying wizards and I smiled.

Damn this game is brutally buggy. Just completed 2 chapters, had to make use of the bugs to finished of the fights.

People have hacked the game to enable PvP:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KrietoR999

Arrowhead says they'll have a proper PvP mode in the future, and will shortly release a patch that allows VAC to be disabled so the modders can continue without fear of getting banned.

There's still enough crashes and VPU problems to go around though. It remains fun to beam your way through swaths of monsters, but I hope they patch it up quickly.

That's uh... pretty weird.

I'm honestly not sure what else to say, other than that making standard weapon attacks ranged in Magicka may be great or totally pointless and boring.

That's crazy!

Speaking of crazy, there's this insane bit in the adventure in the third chapter after you've dealt with the three sorcerors in the circle. What comes next is some sort of all-out brawl against a huge number of enemies. Around basically the third wave I get completely destroyed every time. Does anybody have any cool strategies to deal with this?

To be honest it doesn't seem like the game is balanced for singleplayer. You could lay a lot of mines, keep yourself constantly shielded and drop some shields around the map too, but it'd be easier to just do it in co-op. I know that's easier said than done, but it really is what the game is designed for.

Vietnam Announcement.

So yeeeaaa... :nuts:

I dunno, it worked for Deathspank. I can see the addition of more ranged attacks making barriers more useful. I love elemental+rock+barrier for crowd control, but I found the basic barriers a bit useless. Also, apparently there's a machine gun in the vanilla game that I haven't seen because I didn't save all the houses in that one town. That Battlefield Bad Company style poster at the end was hilarious.

Rodi are you talking about the fight in the ruins area after the druids? There I used fire+3rock+barrier to slow the approach of new dudes, and grease Magick and fire to do damage. When the druids show up, use fire+barrier and water+barrier on self, and try to kill the druids quickly. My mainstay offensive spell is steam+lightning (full bar, more steam increases range, I think more lightning increases damage) ice+arcane is pretty good too as it penetrates enemies. Also, the druid staff lets you summon a tree for support, it might be a good idea to grab that to help with the crowds.

Later in the game I used a lot more water and cold to freeze enemies in their tracks, it might be a good idea once the druids cast rain. Cold is good for crowd control in general, but once enemies are frozen a charged rock ball will do tons of damage. A 5water spell bar area cast around you does a great job of just clearing enemies away from you.