Sign in to follow this  
jennoa

Ghost Trick DS

I just finished playing through Ghost Trick, and I loved it so much I'm compelled to do something I never do... Proselytize

I strongly believe that anyone who has a DS should play this game. I honestly believe it is one of the best games released for the platform.

Actually don't even know what else to add to that. It has a great story, and dialog. Some really good characters, and the sort of Adventure style gameplay the DS excels at.

I was playing this mostly this weekend and I agree completely with jennoa. Ghost Trick is one of the best games for Nintendo DS.

It's from Shu Takumi, the creator of Phoenix Wright Ace Attourney (Gyakuten Saiban) game series.

If you've played Phoenix Wright you kind of know what to expect for the characters. The range is really wide and all characters have a really unique persona. The gameplay is totally different from PW and it feels really fresh with the main character being dead and able to go in to objects and manipulate those.

I'm still relative not that far, Chapter 3 at the moment, and at times it feels a bit too easy maybe, but there have been still some quite cool puzzles and problems here and there.

The GBQL made me want to play this game so badly, it looks amazing. I wish I had a DS very rarely, this is one of those times.

I'm on Chapter 11 or so, and I agree with jennoa as well. This was one of those rare occasions that I was heavily anticipating a game and was not let down once it released. The gameplay is unique. The animation is terrific. The story has mystery, comedy, and over-the-top characters in equal doses. The whole package just oozes style and polish.

Simply put: Buy it.

Also,

So this is out for iOS now. Two missions free, and the rest as a $10 in-app purchase.

So this is out for iOS now. Two missions free, and the rest as a $10 in-app purchase.

Localized?

It's been available in Japan on iOS for a while now.

I really hope more people play this, it's such a great game.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the screenshots are in English on the US app store at the very least.

Yep, it's been localised.

I finished the DS version a few months ago and fell in love with it, I enjoyed it far more than any of the Phoenix Wright games (it barely has any resemblance to the ones I've played though) due to it's heavy adventure game feel. Damn funny too.

I've played the tutorial sections, seems pretty cool. It may end up falling into the same category as Phoenix Wright, though, in that I enjoy it but don't know if I'll remember to actually set time aside to play it.

THREAD RESURRECT This game is awesome. Show me a game you think has better character animations and I'll show you a PAIR OF FUCKING GLASSES because this game has some sweet sweet sweet animations of people moving around, climbing and descending stairs, spinning on chairs and much much more. The dialogue is in that classic weird Japanese style I can't quite describe – people pay attention to and focus on weird things, I think the conversation itself is referenced more than in Western games maybe? Anyway, you can't be told what Ghost Trick is, but you can certainly get the first episode for free and then buy the rest if you love it, which – and I guarantee this – you probably will.

I've tried to play this a couple of times, man does the tutorial chapter go on for an eternity. I've never managed to reach the first save point. I really don't have the patients for games like this

So did you just see the sluggish tutorial and immediately bail? You got the wrong idea about the game, you need to give it another chance, it's unquestionably worth it.

I'd count Ghost Trick among the very, very best DS games. It's such a triumphantly charming and clever little game.

I've got the free first 2 chapters on my iPhone and I really want to play it, but I always get distracted. It's so unbelievably long winded, please just let me play the game!!! I should give it another chance

I played Ghost Trick on the DS (MAN that is a great game, and super memorable), and I don't recall any tedious tutorial? There's the game's setup on the junkyard, but that was already part of the story, so it didn't feel particularly bothersome.

But manoman, I love it when games make me go 'how the hell did they design all this?!', and Toblix is so right on the money that the character animations are supersweet.

FINE! Lets do this right now.... Actually I kinda want some cereal first

Okay, I'm now well feed and watered, no distractions. I'll check in when/if I manage to get to the first save point

I am ashamed to say I tore up at the end because it's so manipulative, but damn it if it didn't tug at the heartstrings.

Can A Video game Make You Cry: Yes, If You're A Wuss

(other things at which I have cried (not a complete list): A Goofy Movie)

The game just let me save \o/ luckily there was some auto save thingy when I loaded it up so I didn't have to replay everything. Still half an hour! So in total that's probably an hour long tutorial without being able to save n quit on a mobile device. That's a massive no no in my book.

The animation is beautiful

The game just let me save \o/ luckily there was some auto save thingy when I loaded it up so I didn't have to replay everything. Still half an hour! So in total that's probably an hour long tutorial without being able to save n quit on a mobile device. That's a massive no no in my book.

Maybe it's a case of the game being more suited to one platform over the other. It was designed for the DS, which has that sleep mode you can engage at any time and a pretty guaranteed battery life of ten to twenty hours based on the brightness. (You know, and no other functions competing for the device's time.)

You're really beating yourself over the head with this tutorial though.

Edit: Out of curiosity, i loaded the game up on my DS. It took me about ten minutes to go through the tutorial, so i don't agree about that. Still, it definitely doesn't actually let you save during that first junkyard level, i don't know if i had ever noticed that before.

:) what I played of if today was enjoyable. But yeah the game doesn't really lend it self to mobile phone gaming

Where as I just loaded up punch quest for the first time... Amazing!

Finished this (iOS) the other day, and man oh man whatta fantastic game! It has everything – ghost tricks, submarines, ridiculously convoluted puzzles, fantastic characters and environments and an unexpected ending. I don't where I heard about this game, but I'm super happy I did – the singing chef will stay with me forever/until my death.

Have you ever played any of the Phoenix Wright games?

Have you ever played any of the Phoenix Wright games?

My my biggest regret is not having been born in Japan, so that I could play Gyakuten Kenji 2, and I have hired two hitmen, separately, to identify and liquidate every person responsible for that game not getting an English translation and then kill the other hitman.