Sign in to follow this  
F4T C4T

Steve Gaynor on Another Castle podcast

Hey, I couldn't see this posted anywhere here yet so I thought I'd put it up in case anyone is interested:

http://gamedesignadvance.com/?p=2330

Steve talks about his design philosophies and Minerva's Den and stuff. I found it pretty interesting. I'm really going to have to bump Bioshock 2 and in turn Minerva's Den up a few notches in my back catalog!

Extra entertainment comes from the frenetic jazz music in the background. Nice.

I like that he's credited with Idle Thumbs before anything else. Downloading right now to give a listen, though.

I enjoyed the podcast even though I glaze over in boredom when hearing about sandbox or non "on-the-rails" story gameplay experience. I think what engages me about what Steve has to say the most is that he's coming from a background of similarly liked games but has a completely different idea of what games should be. It helps me understand what's with games these days I suppose.

Anyway, on a personal note, it was neat to learn he left his girlfriend and place for six months to work at Timegate. I probably saw him at some point when I tried to intern there and was awkwardly interviewed and introduced to people under the strange presumption that half the people I was interviewing with thought I was trying for a real job. How embarassing. Anyway, leaving your girlfriend for career crap sucks, but I'm glad they sustained. Most stories work in the complete opposite direction.

Listened and enjoyed that a lot. A lot of Steve's philosophies on what makes a 'good' game mirror a lot of my own.

I can still be a sucker for a linear game and a bit of multiplayer from time to time. It is weird that Gears of War is also one of the games that sucked me in for ages