Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Aliens screening 28/02 London

FAO: Zombie Cow and Idle Thumbs forumites

Aliens is showing at the Prince Charles on Mon 28th Feb at 6pm. It's £6.50. Who fancies coming to see it?

(It's the first half of a double-bill, but I won't be paying the few quid extra to see Alien3 because, well, you know.)

Edited by bbX1138

My flatmate and I might possibly attend depending on factors. We actually both quite like Alien 3, too. I might have difficulty getting into London that early, though.

No Alien, though? That's my favourite. Oh, wait, looks like I missed it (3rd January). Bugger.

Yeah, I know. If you're going to do a double-bill, you do Alien/Aliens, right?

I'm sure they've done Alien/Aliens before. They must have. Maybe they're trying something different.

I recently renewed my membership, so I might go to this!*

*Probably won't. Factors, and all that.

The "Special Edition" of Aliens 3 on the new Alien Anthology set is really rather good. Fact!

Of course it still has issues, too. But damn, for the first time I've been converted into a fan of that film. Also: Yes, it should be Alien/Aliens. Duh!

Yeah, the alternative/director's/whatever cut of Alien 3 is a whole lot better than the theatrical release. They had it in the Quadrilogy box set, too, but from what I remember a lot of the extra scenes were noticeably less well-produced, with bad sound and so on. That might have been my imagination. Anyway, in the Anthology version it's basically seamless.

It's Alien3, TP. For making such a schoolboy error, you're going to have to come to the screening, I'm afraid.

It's Alien3, TP. For making such a schoolboy error, you're going to have to come to the screening, I'm afraid.

*slaps forehead* Oh well, maybe I can make it then. Lol.

The "Special Edition" of Aliens 3 on the new Alien Anthology set is really rather good. Fact!

Of course it still has issues, too. But damn, for the first time I've been converted into a fan of that film. Also: Yes, it should be Alien/Aliens. Duh!

Wait, is it different again on the new Blu-ray release or do you mean the previous DVD release for the Quadrilogy?

Why isn't this a screening of Alien?

Because they already showed that on the 3rd of January, I think.

Wait, is it different again on the new Blu-ray release or do you mean the previous DVD release for the Quadrilogy?

I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff, but tidied up a bit. Unless I'm misremembering how rough it was in Quadrilogy.

I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff, but tidied up a bit. Unless I'm misremembering how rough it was in Quadrilogy.

There was just a ton of bad green screen and terrible cut out footage of the alien that I found really distracting. Nearly every shot of the alien that was superimposed had green reflections all over its body, completely separating it from the shot it was composited in.

I mean I figure that's fine for 1990 and VHS, but I have no idea why there was no work taken upon the film restoration team to fix what they could of the alien (if they didn't already try). I was hoping Alien 3 would at least be spruced up more for the blu-ray release because all of the flaws from the previous DVD release would just become more obvious than ever.

The quality of the footage is now the same for all old and new, plus they brought back the original actors to record ADR so you can actually hear what they're saying. The special effects from both the original footage and new footage have NOT been re-composited, though. Which is a shame, but I guess it was far too expensive (or maybe they don't have the original footage any more?).

Alien3 was one of the last films to use traditional compositing... if they'd been a year later (few months later?) they would have used computer compositing, which I assume would have allowed them to remove all that green tint with ease.

Still, the new Alien 3 Special Edition, with presentation on par with the original Alien 3, is a hugely enjoyable film. Sure, there's issues with their decisions, but now the pros outweigh the cons (just about).

Alien3 was one of the last films to use traditional compositing... if they'd been a year later (few months later?) they would have used computer compositing, which I assume would have allowed them to remove all that green tint with ease.

Yeah, I guess I was just hoping this time around someone would have gone through all the scenes with the alien that were composited and masked out all frames with the alien to desaturate the green. This is probably incredibly labor intensive to get right and also not be just as distracting. That in addition to Alien 3 not being the most loved, I guess it makes sense no one is going to spend that kind of time digitally fixing it for home video.

Oh wow, I guess I didn't think Ridley Scott was actually doing this movie. I remember him talking about making an Alien prequel and concentrating on the derelict ship, but he was also talking about a Monopoly movie which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Because they already showed that on the 3rd of January, I think.

That's no excuse!

They've gone even more off-topic over at ZC :(

Okay, so Thumbs-wise that's one 'definite' and three 'probably's, and so far every other member of the forum is a 'possibly'... Woo hoo!

They've gone even more off-topic over at ZC :(

Okay, so Thumbs-wise that's one 'definite' and three 'probably's, and so far every other member of the forum is a 'possibly'... Woo hoo!

Am I in the "probably" bracket? If not, put me in there.

No, you're the definite. I'm being wildly optimistic with my bandings.

I would, but I will be in the booth at my own theater working, and also on a different continent. Any thumbs in the Calgary area though, we (the Plaza theater in the Kensington neighbourhood) will be running an Indiana Jones triple feature the previous weekend for the Family Day holiday. Come see stuff!

I'm buying my ticket for this today, so all you bastards have to come now. It strikes me that more people will be willing to attend if there are drinks afterwards. So, I will also be in the pub from 8ish, venue tbc. People can come to both film and drinks, or one or the other (both is best, obv, especially as they serve booze at the cinema).

I just looked on the site and it says there isn't anything scheduled for Feb 28th?

(I am most likely being an idiot)