Thompson

Internet Comics

Person, persons who had the idea to link Gunnerkrigg Court…*Be blessed, this is pure magic
That'd be me. I might be a bit of a squeeing fangirl about Gunnerkrigg Court. It's really unlike anything else.

That'd be me. I might be a bit of a squeeing fangirl about Gunnerkrigg Court. It's really unlike anything else.

What amazes me after something like the 10th chapter ('cause there's a visible shift of tone and line gradually (I was sad to not see the minotaur again)) is how never-seen that is… And each time he like…*Does not shy away, and fucking TELLS the story, says almost everything, explains the mysteries plainly, I'm like "oh fuck, he said everything, there's no more story…"

I mean, how much tons of content can a story like that contain ? It's mind boggling to me…

Also, thank you, Gunnerkrigg Court is the best

I'll tweet it when it's done or you can follow the RSS feed if that is your kind of thing. I just did the last two frames yesterday night, I guess I am aiming for a weekend live date going forward.

Great work, Kingzjester! I've added the RSS feed to my reader. Looking forward to reading more of it.

That is the best looking comic I've ever seen in the net and I'm not kidding here.

Holy shit that scrolling design looks awesome. :tup:

Hobo lobo went a few panel further ! For those of you who missed it, it's becoming sweetaliciously political !

Man, I have the next couple of panels all drawn and scanned and I've finished the admin, but I don't know if I will have the time this weekend to photoshop it all together. There is this charity auction that benefits this awesome local gallery, and I have to make a piece for that... If at any point I am tired of it, I will crank out at least one more panel. On top of all, I have an eye doctor appt and they're gonna widen my pupils, so I will likely be functionally blind for a couple of hours today.

On top of all, I have an eye doctor appt and they're gonna widen my pupils, so I will likely be functionally blind for a couple of hours today.

What does this mean and what does it involve and what are the results?

They've put three kinds of eye drops in my eyes, so that I can't focus on anything closer than five meters and bright lights hurt because you can't aperture them away. Then the doctor stares into your eyes with these machines and check out the back wall thereof. It is starting to wear off, so I can type, but for a good two hours there, I was useless, sat with sunglasses indoors, had other people order breakfast for me at the restaurant. All's well, apparently. My eyes are fine.

So you're all done with the operation now, and it went well? Congrats!

Ah, good. I was imagining all kinds of clamps keeping your eyes open and your eyeball being poked with needles and stuff. Eye am glad to hear you're healthy!

I guess the technical name of what was done to me is "dilation of pupils" which really sounds less sinister than what I said. It was really a routine eye exam. It wasn't an operation at all.

That is the best looking comic I've ever seen in the net and I'm not kidding here.

Holy shit that scrolling design looks awesome. :tup:

*cough* Dresden Codak *cough*

Dresden Codak might be sick, but kingjester's hobo lobo comic has the most alluring art style I've seen of ANY internet comic to date. and I mean ANY. Amazing job, KingJester. :clap:

This thread is full of gold! Personally, I can't wait for the next installment of hobo lobo and I'm about to dive into Dresden Codak's weird world(s)

:jesus:

Hey, thanks! I threw up another panel this morning. Like so:

:barf::buyme:

I've never read Dresden Codak's stuff, but I gotta say it is pretty gorgeous!

I've been told by people I trust who actually follow a lot of web comics (Mrs. Kingzjester, she's a paragon of cruel objectivity that one) that the dude has some issues admitting to doing fan service cheesecake shots of his own characters. That low cut blouse is for utility alone! This gorgeous-looking character that has the same exact body type as that other gorgeous-looking character is actually supposed to look kindof plain and awkward! Here, lemme talk about how important anatomy is, and in doing so, draw the protagonists nude with carefully coiffured lady bits and articulated nipples. That moon shaped cut out of her panties (butt lovingly modeled in the foreground) is actually a handle, of course, for stone cold utility alone! That sort of thing.

haha no the handle was just a theory

when asked he just said "THE HALF MOON MOTIF REPEATS IN HER CLOTHING YOU SEE"

yet he never wavers from his "KIM'S CLOTHES ARE COMPLETELY UTILITARIAN" declaration

he's got so much sound theory about the importance of different body types, and then just... kind of... thinks he follows it, while not actually doing so

DID YOU KNOW that Meredith Gran and Whatshisname Does Dresden Codak Guy actually lived together at one point? I find that so ironic, considering her use of WILDLY DIFFERENT BODY TYPES

And well-written characters that aren't just "I am a nerd fantasy; super super smart and also half-asian and hot but also adorably awkward"

The basket and boxes of for sale vegetables in the foreground on the next section is very well rendered. I'm very focused on it.

Also Dresden Codak has got me intensely jealous while at the same time I feel annoyed that he has some needlessly long "how to draw characters" posted and sprinkled with art from others. In my opinion, at this point in his career, his anatomy wavers way too much for him to act like he's an authority on character structure and the naked test is complete BS. I would venture to guess he never does the naked test with his male character's cock and balls flying around. Also he tends to do that super obnoxious thing where everyone's default expression involves a cocked eyebrow. I don't know the origins of this as it precedes the whole "Dreamworks does it only" claim in scale, but I suspect it's from people who were greatly influenced by Don Bluth studio tripe and 80s and 90s Disney.

But aside from bagging on a guy who is obviously superior to me, I'm curious how long it takes someone like Dresden Codak guy to color each page though. His rate seems to average about a page a month but I have no clue how much time spent that actually equals.

I would really like to start my own webcomic as just a place to dump regular comic pages just for fun sometime as I have this set of characters and story floating around, but I feel really stressed imagining it as something I will start and then do a few pages until shying away from doing the rest of the work because I will feel like everything needs to be top quality lest I be ridiculed. Any kind of coloring takes me a long time, but the particular comic I would like to do would need to color to come out of my head the way I see it. I routinely have drawn everything with a pencil to convey mood for the past 10 or so years just because I hate being bothered having a bunch of art supplies sitting around. The computer makes it all easier but how to digitally paint efficiently and quickly is a conundrum to me. At the same time, pencil drawings make me feel happy.

On that note the pencils in your comic, Stevan, are a marvel.

Edited by syntheticgerbil