Thompson

Internet Comics

Garfield minus Garfield

This thread: :tup:. Some great stuff to be found here.

Holy crap, they made a book of this stuff:

In an act that should qualify him for the brilliant editors hall of fame, Dan Walsh discovered that if all traces of Jim Davis's lazy, lasagna-scarfing cat were expunged from his own comic strip, Garfield became a funnier, much darker series, about a desperately lonely, self-loathing man's existential despair. Walsh started posting his altered strips at garfieldminusgarfield.net. And in an act that definitely qualifies him for the good sport hall of fame, Davis not only didn't sue him but approved of the project. This collection of the best de-Garfielded strips prints Walsh's altered cartoons next to Davis's originals; Davis even throws in a couple dozen Garfield-minus-Garfield strips he's done himself. Interestingly, Davis's stabs at the concept are mostly just gags about Garfield's owner, Jon Arbuckle. The gist of Walsh's approach, on the other hand, is to completely alter Davis's jokes—a strip in which Garfield displays a single hair, announces this is all I'll be shedding today and marches off before Jon delivers a punch line, after Walsh gets through with it, becomes two panels of Jon silently glancing around before haplessly declaring, I dread tomorrow. If Samuel Beckett had been a strip cartoonist, he might've produced something like this.

Now, I'm probably not going to get a lot of "Hooray for you!"s about this, but I generally enjoy Garfield.

However, when a friend introduced me to GMG, I could not think of a single reason why this wasn't a better thing. I still love Garfield's cynicism and, ahem, wit, but GMG is astounding.

/review

I enjoyed reading Garfield Minus Garfield for a while, and I think it's absolutely amazing that Jim Davis not only let the authors continue, but actually put out a legit book of them. However, the novelty lessened a lot over time, the edited comics got stale after telling the same jokes ad nauseum, and now it appears that they just keep getting made in order to sell books. There's a special irony in that.

My webcomic bookmarks are:

Penny Arcade

Sinfest

PVP

XKCD

Three Panel Soul

Freak Angels

Darths & Droids

Others come and go.

I used to read Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes and other strips on GoComics, I think it was. But I stopped visiting because they had a banner ad with an incredibly annoying mosquito noise. I couldn't stand it. I see Garfield has it's own site now, but, well, meh :tmeh: I'm not in the mood.

Note: If your site allows ads that make noises, I will stop visiting your site.

Thank you! I had forgotten about 3PS.

*Idiot grin here*

098.png

*Perhaps an even bigger, more idiotic grin*

082.png

I'm done for now, I swear.

The excellent (I should know, I read the archives in one sitting!) Gunnerkrigg Court.

The Very First Page

And you know what those things are in the backround? Laser cows. LASER COWS. If that doesn't make you want to read the comic, then you do not appreciate awesome things.

It's not a gag-a-day, by the way. It's a serialized story, with lots of character development. It does have humor in it, but it's not specifically created for the purpose of making you laugh.

Does anyone know the same of that crazy webcomic with the stick figure girl that will tell stories or do something crazy in a long series of panels? I remember one about "being an adult" and one about a dog?

Oglaf is always pretty great, but recently, a new set, pair, thing of characters have arrived. The nurses are pretty awesome.

stalker2.jpg

infffirmary.jpg

I feel like they're a reference to something, and I just can't remember what. . .

Oglaf is always pretty great, but recently, a new set, pair, thing of characters have arrived. The nurses are pretty awesome.

I feel like they're a reference to something, and I just can't remember what. . .

Brutal Legend?

Brutal Legend?

Not having played it, I couldn't say. They bear a resemblance yes, but do those things even talk?

Why do bears speak

Why do bears speak FRENCH !?

It is barely french. Sokay. Don't worry. :tup:

It is bearly french. Sokay. Don't worry. :tup:

Fixed your erroneous mistake.

Fixed your erroneous mistake.

Not to be confused with all the correct mistakes I also made? :hah:

Not to be confused with all the correct mistakes I also made? :hah:

I. . .shit, I really said that didn't I.

Look, I'd just gotten back from a movie and I was doing stuff and. . .

I'm going to go read a dictionary as punishment.

has anyone mentioned reMIND? It's pretty awesome.

Oh wow! Not always into the characters' faces panel to panel, but that thing is gorgeous! I'm in awe on how realized the backgrounds are. :tup:

Maybe it's time I look for webcomics to read...

Person, persons who had the idea to link Gunnerkrigg Court…*Be blessed, this is pure magic