Tanukitsune

Tyrian + Mega Man = A Space Shooter for 2 bucks!

A good PSP Mini game? They exist? Apparently, they do!

When I got A Space Shooter for 2 bucks I expected a bad arena shooter or maybe a pedobait bullet hell game, but a got... a real shmup? A CLASSIC ONE? :eek:

The intro presents the main character and I'm actually going to put spoiler tags because they try to do something clever that worked and I don't want to ruin it!

You see a nerd starting it's first day at school, where a bully practically tortures him constantly, the nerd starts to buff up and thinks the bully is an alien...

But it turns out the bully hates aliens more than anything in the world and punches the nerd out... It turns out the BULLY is the hero, and he's not the typical dark n' gritty douche, he never tries to do anything nice, he's IS a unlovable douchebag! He only wants to kill every alien ever and openly admits he's EVIL! He's also fat, ugly and dumb...

The first thing you'll notice is that the game has professional voice acting in it, a audio drama group that works for Canadian radio counts as professionals, right? They are also funny!

The game has two kind of levels, normal levels in which you just fight a onslaught of enemies until you reach the boss which is made out of normal enemies in a almost Voltron-like fashion, if you beat it, you get a health upgrade and then there are boss levels, in which you fight a proper boss and you'll get his weapon if you win, which makes it Megaman-y although the weapons don't seem more effective on certain bosses...

The Tyrian part comes from the shop, you can't buy new ships, but you can upgrade EVERYTHING! Even the temporary powerups!

The name is probably hurting the game a lot... Do you expect a good game with a name like that? The only reason I have it is because it came as part of Playstation Plus.

I also got it through the playstation plus thing. I played the first level for a bit and never managed to get to the end of it :S I kinda lost motivation to play it because of the rest of the stuff that came out for the PS3 and also that damned Steam sale...

I think I'll check it out again today.

Oh, right.. I forgot to mention how the first boss level is ridiculously hard compared to the others... I beat him after beating the other boss in this area...

so, I played it yesterday for about an hour and you were completely right, the first boss is really hard without having any upgrades on your ship. I'm really enjoying it now but I fear I'm over half way through the campaign, as this is the same thing that happened when I played Age of Zombies (which is quite good as well) which I basically played through it in one afternoon.

Also, the name is horrible for what the game is, but I suppose it was trying to break the generic space shooter type naming convention :hmph:

It's a good game and I'll probably wrap it up by next week.