Noyb

Android Games

Maybe try some of the remastered Final Fantasies? 5 and 6? If you can handle the art style.

And if your phone can handle it, maybe KOTOR? One of the few decent games that is probably unaffected by touch controls.

There have been a few interesting mobile games recently. Things like Wayward Souls, Calculords and Desert Golfing are all smaller unique games that feel made for the platform rather than coping with the limitations of a game that was never supposed to be played without a controller/mouse and keyboard. 

I've played a bit of Wayward Souls but I can't quite get away with the onscreen controls. I'm waiting to play it with a controller, possibly on the newly announced Nexus Player.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up! I was saving up my google reward bux for that! Now I just hope I have enough saved up for 80 days whenever that comes out.

I nabbed that, thanks!

...though in light of the latest cast though I am preoccupied with wondering if this earns the same amount for the devs as a real sale.

I nabbed that, thanks!

...though in light of the latest cast though I am preoccupied with wondering if this earns the same amount for the devs as a real sale.

Yeah I wonder about things like that too.  I had the same thoughts when I subscribed to Gamefly.  I have to imagine that since it's through Amazon and not some illegal thing that there's some kind of compensation.

The expansion is coming to Android tomorrow, so maybe it's partially in hopes that the free download will net purchases of the expansion (which is a 4-day timed exclusive on Amazon's marketplace).

Since we're talkin' bout Android games for a bit, I've been playing recently:

Bardbarian:  Mashup of tower-defense and snake (with an upgrade system).  Other than the cloying aesthetic it's quite fun, and the upgrade system has me captivated for now...

Desert Golf:  NO MENUS.  Endlessly fun.  Thanks for the rec, Thumbs!!

Star Realms:  Annoying to play on my phone, but I'm hooked enough on the physical card game that I fight through the miniaturized artwork.  Works as it should!!  So fun!

The expansion is coming to Android tomorrow, so maybe it's partially in hopes that the free download will net purchases of the expansion (which is a 4-day timed exclusive on Amazon's marketplace).

I expect this is the plan (I'll likely buy it out of guilt) and makes me think they might've taken a hit on the amount they earn from this deal for the sake of promotion.

I think there's a part of the agreement when a game goes on the Amazon Appstore that Amazon holds the right to put their game on sale x number of times and offer it for free x number of times as part of a running free app a day promotion they have. I'm sure the dev makes considerably less when the game is given away for free, but I think it's part of the deal so I don't feel so bad taking advantage now and then.

SAM looked it up below! Looks like it's a fully voluntary promotional thing, which is probably best for devs.

There was an article in the early days of the Amazon app store that said that, while it was indeed optional, devs were being put under a hell of a lot of pressure by Amazon to include their apps in the free program. And while they were promised that the promotion would be good for sales, it would only produce a tiny bump.

Things might have changed since then, though.

Thanks, SAM, I got this. I guess we can further assuage any potential guilt by spreading the word about the game if it's good.

Meanwhile, got a $1 credit for Amazon Music because of it, which is supposed to come off your total when you click on Buy for something, but it doesn't and there's no sign of it happening before completing the purchase. So I'm not going to buy Still Alive by Jonathan Coulton and GlaDOS, and Amazon have failed to draw in a new customer.

Hearthstone is rolling out to android devices.  my tablet is too (nexus 7 gen1) but i'm going to try and convince my wife its a good idea to install on hers

Official Blizzard Release

i just got a nexus 5 @ work too...with better timing i'd have gotten a nexus6 and this distraction

I don't think the Nexus 6 counts, I believe it is technically 5.96" or something like that.

o - interesting, i wonder how they'll treat that & other XL smart phones right on the cusp

They have phone release on the horizon, i imagine it'll require a slightly different UI to ensure accurate tap/dragging.

In other (older) Android game news - Calculords  (Discussed IT Ep 147) came out in September with almost no fanfare.  I dont necessarily like building my deck of minions, but the math gameplay is great and very easy to pause/put down between rounds

It's been a good couple of months for Android ports finally coming through, ith Hearthstone (which doesn't work on my phone or tablet), 80 Days, Crossy Road, Republique, and Calculords all coming out. Now if only my phone had more internal storage...

I was actually thinking about trying out Hearthstone because I've been in a CCG mood lately, except it won't work on my Nexus 7 because it's a wifi-only model and apparently you have to have one with a carrier plan.  So that's dumb.

I was actually thinking about trying out Hearthstone because I've been in a CCG mood lately, except it won't work on my Nexus 7 because it's a wifi-only model and apparently you have to have one with a carrier plan.  So that's dumb.

I didn't see anything on their min requirements list about that. It did say that the 2013 Nexus 7 was compatible, nothing about wifi vs wifi+cellular models.

It's just not available in the US yet. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand only right now. EDIT: Looks like it's up in the US now. Just became installable for me. I have a wifi Nexus 7 as well.

Scrolls *is* available though and is very good, if you're looking for a CCG. My IGN is jeremywc if anyone wants to add (and destroy) me.

Yeah, it became installable now.  I was looking at the Play store online and I was told that it was incompatible with all my Google devices.  I guess it just hadn't been "officially" released yet.

Crossy Road and 80 Days at the same time? What a glorious day!

Played a bit of Crossy Road last night, and managed a pretty abysmal top score of 95. I'll be playing 80 Days over the Christmas holiday!