toblix

The Dream Machine

The guy who made the Gateway games has released The Dream Machine, a browswer-based claymation point and click adventure. I can't remember what the Gateway games were like, but I think I remember wanting to to play his next game when I was done. Anyway, it's about £15 and I'm starting... now.

Sorry, I was too busy linking to the other thing. Now I guess this thread is going to transform into a veritable torrent of discussion.

I haven't paid for it, but I have played through the first chapter. I really like it. There's something about the really mundane, everyday tasks you're doing early on that makes the odd stuff that shows up later extra creepy.

Since you've completed the first episode, care to give me a hint?

I've just had the entrance blocked by the mover, and I got a clothes hanger off it. Since then I've been to all three floors, and tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. I'm guessing I'm supposed to clear the doorway, but there's nothing pointing me in the right direction...

Could you give me just an ever so slight nudging hint in the general direction I should explore?

It's been a while (apparently all of chapter 2 has been created since when I played it), so I don't really remember, but there's a walkthrough buried in the comments here. I don't know how to link to an individual comment, so look for the one posted July 21, 2010 5:09 PM.

That one's got progressive spoiler hiding so you can probably find the clue you need without inadvertently reading ahead. I won't vouch that the other spoilers in those comments do the same.

edit: I just had a quick look at that walkthrough so you won't have to.

short version:

you want to get into the caretaker's office.

I got the game, but with the Steam backlog I got through the holiday sales I haven't had time to play it... :(

I've not played it much being at work, but the graphics are absolutely beautiful. I get quite a Grim Fandango vibe from some of it, even:

dream_machine.jpg

dream_machine_2.jpg

The first chapter seems to be playable through their website in Flash for free, so you can be playing it within seconds. :tup:

Turns out I hadn't looked in the

ashtray

, which is typical stupid adventure game bullshit. I'm not saying I know how to fix it in a great way, but I would've spent hours walking around clicking every little thing before finding it, so that was a bit lame.

ANYWAY, the immersion level is really great. The claymation style really adds to the feeling of a real space, and also I'm a fan of creepy stuff happening in an apartment building. As mentioned, the pacing, with mundane stuff at the beginning, with drops of weird, is so fantastic; I wonder why more games don't do this. Films have been doing it with great success forever.

Different games bkrl. See the link in toblix's original post. :yep:

Okay, so after getting past the little pixel hunting issue, the rest was really good. I felt the episodes were a little short, but who's to say how long an episode should be? It's probably just that I wanted more right away.

I loved the first episode. Too bad one can only buy it via PayPal :( I'd like to avoid using PayPal if I can.

Ok, played the second one too (

I emailed the developers about not wanting to use PayPal, they said another provider is coming, and meanwhile gave me the second chapter for free! Yay!

).

Lovely game, I can't wait for the 3rd chapter. I really like the claymation style, the setting of the game and the puzzles.

I finally got around to playing the third chapter of this EPISODIC game, 3 and a half years after playing the second chapter! But I love it, though! The fourth one is also available, but generally the development seems to have slowed down a lot, with the last two chapters still missing. Maybe it's due to needing so many new scenes?

I would have loved to have a down-to-earth mystery game just set in that one house like the first chapter was hinting at.

Double posting and bumping the thread to make sure everyone knows the 5th episode is out now, and apparently larger than all previous episodes combined.

Yeah, the 5th chapter is pretty big. I'm not sure how long it plays compared to the others, but there's a lot more complexity. I had to look at a hint once, having missed a rather obvious (in hindsight) visual cue. There were a few times I got stuck, and what didn't help was that there were some distractions as to what you can interact with e.g.

the mushrooms that are not needed for anything

, but I usually got back on track in a minute or two.

I think it is also perhaps the best chapter so far, with some actual interesting character interactions and better puzzles than usual for the series. Some cool perspective changes, special bonus points for doing that in a claymation game!

Is this the final chapter? Or will there be more? I played the first two (three?) chapters aaaaages ago, but I remember almost nothing about them, other than liking them well enough. With how infrequently these chapters are released, I'd rather just wait until it's all out to finish it up!