Sully907

Giant Bomb GOTYcasts

Once again the crew over at the bombcast are bringing us the awesome, anyone else love listening to these daily discussions? For those who don't know, they are literally deciding the winners of all their awards, the 3 of them, in one giant 8 hour podcast cut up into chunks and released over several days. You might think it's a recipe for madness, but it actually results in a lot of intelligent discussions into the merits of the different games, and why the individual editors prefer them over another, as they eventually come to a consensus.

I've been listening, they're kinda bad on spoilers though. Day two totally spoiled Minerva's Den and all of Shadow Broker (even though I skipped the section where they talk about it at length).

It's still really interesting to hear them discuss the highs and lows of these best of show games.

That didn't actually occur to me, but it was probably disqualified for being an expansion and not a new game. That's happening in a lot of places.

I have my day two podcast paused at the moment in which they're saying "ok we're going to have to spoil the Shadow Broker now" as I had already downloaded but not played it. Now, however, I have finished it (just a few minutes ago) - so I'll probably go back to listening to it soon. It was a pretty awesome addon.

Oh, and for future reference there are actually four of them on the GOTY.cx casts, as there usually are for the Bombcasts.

These have made me realise that while I greatly enjoy listening to those guys, for the most part I really don't respect their opinions, even when I coincidentally agree with them.

The way that Jeff and Ryan think about games is especially alien to me.

Still, they are entertaining dudes.

That didn't actually occur to me, but it was probably disqualified for being an expansion and not a new game. That's happening in a lot of places.

I have my day two podcast paused at the moment in which they're saying "ok we're going to have to spoil the Shadow Broker now" as I had already downloaded but not played it. Now, however, I have finished it (just a few minutes ago) - so I'll probably go back to listening to it soon. It was a pretty awesome addon.

Oh, and for future reference there are actually four of them on the GOTY.cx casts, as there usually are for the Bombcasts.

That's a garbage technicality. Also, if someone were to pick up vanilla WoW right now, they'd have an entirely different game. All of which was rolled out as part of Cataclysm.

Honestly though, they wouldn't have done it justice in the discussion or votes either way, so it doesn't bother me too much.

These have made me realise that while I greatly enjoy listening to those guys, for the most part I really don't respect their opinions, even when I coincidentally agree with them.

The way that Jeff and Ryan think about games is especially alien to me.

Still, they are entertaining dudes.

I was actually thinking that myself during some of it. Vinny and Brad often made good points and more key than that, they explained why they felt a certain way about a certain game. So far Jeff and Ryan haven't really said anything that made me say "ok, I can see that" and when they do express opinions they don't explain them anywhere near as much as the other two. They may just be pacing themselves, though, since there's a lot of ground to cover here and they can't make an argument of every category.

They did give best add-on to Minerva's Den, though, so congratulations to Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor!

Can you articulate spin what exactly about their opinions you don't respect? I'm not getting what you're going for there.

Frankly, I only listen to them because it's the only podcast that isn't taking a holiday... I find them just OK, but these discussions are boring the hell out of me...

I must have zoned out because I don't even remember the spoilers for Minerva's Den... :|

I don't even remember what they talked about today, but I do like the British guy they talked to... He was the only entertaining part of today's cast!

I'm just sad because I just realised that I will never play any of the Mass Effect 2 DLC. Or I will certainly not play it before I will listen to these podcasts.

I really like the bombcast, though I can see where people are coming from to a certain extent. Jeff has a very early 1990s sensibility, to the point where it can be irrelevant to me. I don't care about fighting games at all. I have more in common with him when it comes to liking racing games but not to a big technical extent.

Jeff and Ryan both tend to rate games on the basis that the person buying the games can afford to play all games and then have the time to play them all. Vinny is the best at acknowledging that we can't all afford every game we ever feel like playing.

I still like listening to the guys though, I think they do great podcasts. Does make me long for a one-off thumbs goty discussion.

Jeff and Ryan are both very transparent with their emotions, but I agree I don't really share their taste in games that often. Like the New Yorker said, they're "charmingly garrulous". It does get a bit frustrating when they're in an argument with someone and aren't articulating their point beyond their base emotions.

Despite my earlier agreement I feel a little differently after having watched Ryan's top 10 list video. He describes why his top 10 games are good much more effectively in these bite-sized descriptions than he has when given an hour and a half to debate it in the podcast. This makes me think he may just be one of those people who expresses themselves best when given time to write something down, rather than in the middle of a conversation.

Not necessarily a terrible thing for a journalist, and certainly our own Idle Thumbs were guilty of just saying "umm, ahh, video games!" a lot during the podcast. I think it may just be more noticeable in the Bombcast because Vinny and Brad actually are rather good at having these discussions on the fly.

I think GB should really market itself as a "Console" website, seeing as they know nothing about PC games. Shame really, as the GOTY stuff is mainly good, but they're so...childish about some stuff. Brad.

What are you talking about man? All those guys love civ 5, Brad talks about starcraft 2 every week, and on the first GOTY cast they were raving about the level editor that's coming to super meat boy.