Sign in to follow this  
toblix

The Pathetic Windows Questions Thread

I have a horrible question: Does anyone know of a motherfucking way to have a video file play as the screen saver on a Windows 7 computer without any bullshit borders, transitions or whatever? I would basically like to be able to point to one file (or more) and have it play as the screen saver, full-screen. I can find tons of software that says it does this, but none that actually works. This should be doable in a couple of hours for someone with Windows programming skills, hooking into the screen saver system and the hardware accelerated video playback system, so why hasn't anyone done it?

It's weird that there's sweet software for playing video as the wallpaper (also see DreamScene) but not as a screen saver.

I feel like such an idiot for asking this.

I'm not an expert on fiddly things like this, but your answer is probably no.

What kind of video did you want to play?

I'm not an expert on fiddly things like this, but your answer is probably no.

What kind of video did you want to play?

The answer is yes, I did it for the Battlefield 2 intro video. I seem to remember having to convert it to a bink video file...

Let me do some research.

UPDATE:

How can I make screen saver videos (SCR files)?

To compile your videos into a screen saver, first highlight one or more Bink files on the main window, and then click the "Advanced play" button. Next, choose the options that you wish to embed into the screen saver. Next, click the "Make EXE" button. Finally, click the "create as screen saver" check box. Once the SCR file is created, copy it into your main windows directory (usually c:\windows or c:\winnt), and it will appear on the list of screen savers in the screen saver control panel.

The program they are referencing is this. Enjoy!

Edited by Thompson

I'll get in on this thread, actually

ohmygoddonuts.jpg

So here's my problem. I've got a 222GB drive in my laptop (Probably a 250 after formatting and such). After doing a directory scan, it's showing as in the image, or 153.38 in use. Now, knowing that I have 37.7GB free, I know I'm no rocket scientist, but 153.38 and 37.7 do not make 222.

Can anyone offer any insight as to how I've lost that 30/40GB?

Much love.

Since the early 2000s most consumer hard drive capacities are grouped in certain size classes measured in gigabytes. The exact capacity of a given drive is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, software like Microsoft Windows reports size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes by 1073741824, while still reporting the result with the symbol "GB". This practice is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes might be reported by the operating system as only "372 GB", for instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Consumer_confusion

possible that the utility youre using doesn't count hidden files/swap files/restore files/cluster wastes/file records/etc