Tanukitsune

I'm feeling conflicted about these current HD collections

When I heard Sly Collection was out I was happy because I never played any of those games, and while the God of War and Prince of Persia games are already in my collection, I wouldn't mind replaying them in HD just to have an excuse to play them again, but the latest rumor is that there is going to be a Tomb Raider HD collection....

Sweet! I'm pretty sure I only played the original Tomb Raider and never played the other games until the 360 ones... wait... they are saying it's a collection OF the 360 ones? For PS3? :blink:

But the thing that bothers me the most is that it seems that the true retro collection might be dead... The Data East Collection wasn't even released in any other country that the US and while I'm fairly positive we'll get a Sonic / Sega collection for the next generation of consoles, but that's about it... ;(

We've gone from 8-16 bit games to PS2 and Dreamcast games, we'll probably never see a Sega Saturn collection and we all now Nintendo won't release another collection until Mario's 50th birthday, which will be the same as the 25th birthday collection plus Super Mario World...

We could have a collection of more modern arcade game, or more obscure older ones, there are plenty of series that could get a collection: Bonk, Breath of Fire, Bomberman and Tekken are a few that I can think of just now and would it be that insane to ask for a digital collection on PSN, XBLA or Steam if making a physical one would be too taxing?

Maybe the real issue is that unless it's ridiculously famous franchise they won't dare release a collection of their games, but then again, I'm pretty sure many people have never heard of Sly Raccoon...

PS: I don't see why everybody is crying about the Mario collection, I own the original Super Mario All-Stars and it never came with Super Mario World... Either way it's worth it for the soundtrack alone! :erm:

PS: I don't see why everybody is crying about the Mario collection, I own the original Super Mario All-Stars and it never came with Super Mario World...

51jhN1Npz1L.jpg

vU8nNTAzPwJaWDj.jpg

super-mario-all-stars-plus-mario-world-title-screenshot.jpg

(Possibly the greatest Nintendo bundle ever made in my opinion. A SNES with a billion Mario games is pretty unstoppable.)

51jhN1Npz1L.jpg

vU8nNTAzPwJaWDj.jpg

super-mario-all-stars-plus-mario-world-title-screenshot.jpg

(Possibly the greatest Nintendo bundle ever made in my opinion. A SNES with a billion Mario games is pretty unstoppable.)

Yes, but that is Super Mario All Stars PLUS Super Mario World, like you said, it's a bundle, they are two separate games, what I meant is that Super Mario World isn't part of Super Mario All Stars.

Mario World and All Stars bundle was only for US as far as I know.

Damn you Americans. You always get the sweet stuff.

That probably explains why only Americans complains about it...

Oddly enough, Prince of Persia HD collection is only coming out as a physical game in Europe and PSN to the rest of the world...

But we never got the Data East Collection for the Wii or any of the Mega Man Collections that came out last generation... :|

And then there is a bunch of Shmup collections that came out in Japan only, like Parodius Collection, Lifeforce, Twin Bee and Star Soldier.

Mario World and All Stars bundle was only for US as far as I know.

Damn you Americans. You always get the sweet stuff.

Nuh uh

Super%20Mario%20All%20Stars%20+%20World%20-%20SNES%20Game_big.jpg

Yeah, the seal of quality looks fake...

Not to mention, if that it existed, I would have traded in my copy of All Stars for it...:gaming:

Maybe that particular Cart is fake, but I have played 2 specific pal versions of it. I don't think they were bootlegs, I have 3 other English friends that also remember it. So it may have not been released in the mainland.

So either it's very rare or it's fake.... does it really matter?

Am I the only person here who likes or cares about retro collections BESIDES Nintendo ones?

It was released in both the US and Europe. The European release was only available bundled with a SNES though so you couldn't buy it separately.

Yes, but that is Super Mario All Stars PLUS Super Mario World, like you said, it's a bundle, they are two separate games, what I meant is that Super Mario World isn't part of Super Mario All Stars.

Eh that's marketing, splitting hairs, whatever. SMW is integrated into the Mario All Stars menu on that cart -- its not its own separate thing. You scroll SMB1, Lost Levels, SMB2, SMB3, SMW as if it was the original All-Stars cart, but with an extra game (... which is what it is !)

But what about Super Mario World 2?!

Yoshi's Island should be included on all consoles and cartridges.

Am I the only person here who likes or cares about retro collections BESIDES Nintendo ones?

Are there any that are good? They always seem to be ridiculous airbrush gold plated "STRAIGHT FROM THE ARCADE TO YOU" packs that I find incredibly offputting so I've never really investigated.

Are there any that are good? They always seem to be ridiculous airbrush gold plated "STRAIGHT FROM THE ARCADE TO YOU" packs that I find incredibly offputting so I've never really investigated.

Many of them are, but for different reasons:

I love having the Parodius collection on PSP, not only because I get to play my favorite series on a portable device, it also has games from the series I've never played before.

Many arcade / retro collections are worth it for the sheet volume of games they have... while others only offer a handful.

But the best ones have interviews and extra content like old commercials, concept gallery...

But one of my favorites is the original Namco Museum which is AN ACTUAL MUSEUM! You run around as a museum as Pac-Man with each area representing a game from the collection, some even had secrets that you had to unlock!

The only disappointing ones I can think of is most of the DS ones, the barely have any games or special features...

Does anybody have the HD PS3 ones? I ordered them last week, but they haven't arrived yet... I've heard the God of War collection has some extra features, but that's all I know.:erm:

I know the Super Mario All-stars + SMW were fairly rare in their NA release, so I assume the PAL versions were even more so rare. This was mainly due to it being released so late in the SNES lifespan. But it is real:

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=E-044-S-01301-A

Tanukitsune, I also care about non-Nintendo collections; however, I just seem to have a lot of Nintendo stuff in my collections because that is what I grew up with. More importantly, I have a lot of PC stuff (biggest that I've seen), which is basically worthless to most collectors.

I wouldn't be so sure about PC collections being worhtless, id Anthology has some obscure games that aren't on Steam and Ultima Collection isn't on Steam yet!

And while many of my adventure collections are on Steam / GOG, these version don't have the extras, just the games!

Well not all remakes are created equal, but the God of War re-releases are superb. The resolution and framerate are unsurprisingly much improved, and they've also revamped the lighting, textures, and models. It's overall a far prettier pair of games (especially #2), with the only downside being the in-engine standard-definition cinematics being straight from the original — they stick out like a sore thumb.

As far as I could tell, the only bonuses were the special features from the collector's edition of GoW2. I don't think they added anything besides that. That said, it is an excellent collection. Also, I intend to spend some of my birthday cash from relatives on the Sly collection, so I'll let you know about it once I've had the chance to play it.

I'm sort of confused why you are feeling conflicted, but my thoughts are that the HD releases of everything on one disc is great. I'm planning on importing the PoP disc from Europe.

What I'm more concerned about is remakes or upconverted ports seem to have annoying problems or things not ported in the best fashion. For instance, they only went with the PS2 versions of the Sands of Time games so none of the extras from the other console versions were included. Then I saw someone complaining about how many of the graphic filters were missing in comparison screenshots plus sharpness filters tend to make older graphics look groddy, moreso on cut out planes. These are pretty minor though, it's nice for me to personally move games up a console generation and reduce the amount of discs on my shelf.

So more retro collections!

PS: I don't see why everybody is crying about the Mario collection, I own the original Super Mario All-Stars and it never came with Super Mario World... Either way it's worth it for the soundtrack alone! :erm:

People are crying? I preordered the newer All Star pack a few months ago with a gift card, but it seems to already be gone now. I was sort of confused on why it's such a hit, since it is indeed pretty barebones for 25th anniversary release. I was at least expecting a nice set of manual scans, movie clips, image galleries, or whatever other crap much like the Sonic collections last generation or maybe similar to the Legend of Zelda collection for Gamecube. Still no big deal, I really just wanted to get the best graphical versions of Mario 1 and 2 (Japan).

All of the good versions to play of the rest of the games were better covered in Mario Advance than All Stars, so the lack of World is not too harsh I think. You get more levels playing the Advance versions of the games.

Like I said before, it looks like we've skipped a few generations since we went from collections of 80's games to 2000's games and that's why I feel conflicted!

YAY! New collections! NOO! Where are my old school retro collections at?:eek:

[smug]Oh, you silly console owners! I already played Sands of Time "HD" back in 2005. And I'm not talking 720p30. I'm talking 1050p60/16:10. And if I want to, I can grab the very same game and play it at 1080p60 right now. If I feel like it. And if even that isn't enough, I downsample it from 1440p60 (to get rid of pesky aliasing and shimmering).

Tata![/smug]

Yeah.... The PoP trilogy has been on sale on Steam for 5 cents and a smile a millions times.... we all own the PC version... I even own the physical version that came out in Europe only several years ago... :blink:

That reminds me... Has digital distribution killed PC collections? I haven't seen an "official" collection in ages for the PC! Does the PC version of the Sega Megadrive collection even have extras? It looks like it's just a bundle to me... :blink:

[smug]Oh, you silly console owners! I already played Sands of Time "HD" back in 2005. And I'm not talking 720p30. I'm talking 1050p60/16:10. And if I want to, I can grab the very same game and play it at 1080p60 right now. If I feel like it. And if even that isn't enough, I downsample it from 1440p60 (to get rid of pesky aliasing and shimmering).

Tata![/smug]

I can too. I can play it without gamepad support and with terribly clunky mouse controls. In most cases, I'm a PC purist as well, but the PoP trilogy that I have for PC I can't fucking stand to play. That game demands a pad, as most platformers do. Nowadays, gamepad support is expected as consoles have gained popularity. When Sands of Time came out it wasn't. Most modern platformers I will still buy on PC and play with a 360 controller plugged in. SoT doesn't support that, and as a result I consider the PC version largely unplayable. The HD version I downloaded to my PS3 plays great, although the uprezzed textures on lower-poly models look a bit weird, and I'm happy I dropped the $15 on it.

I played the game with a Logitech PS2-style pad back then. It worked just fine. Though I haven't tried my current Xbox 360 pad, yet. But I'm certain that there is a way to play the game with it aswell.

I agree that it wouldn't be fun playing with keyboard and mouse here.

Please no-one buy the Sly collection. It may look pretty, but my God those games are horrible. Sony sent me a copy about a month ago and it's the worst time trying to play through this trite.