Snooglebum

Video Games, and why I might be done with them

So yesterday, I had another seizure. A bad one.

I'll cut to the chase and say: I may never be able to play video games again. Ever.

In small doses, perhaps, but no more then that.

;(

Why do you say that? It's more than likely a medication issue, are you unlucky enough to be one of the very small minority who have photosensitive epilepsy?

You have my utmost sympathy being unfortunate enough to have epilepsy in the first place, but especially if you are photosensitive to boot.

I would still put money on it being a medication issue in the long run though, i.e the balance is not right in you yet (I realise that sounds like Yoda:tup:)

Hang in there buddy, don't lose hope yet.

I said to Thompson yesterday that you may be reduced to text adventure forever and ever.

I cannot comprehend what those things must feel like, but I imagine they suck in large measure.

I really don't know what to say other than that, but I am around if you need to spake. (. . .Why doesn't Chrome have issues with spake?)

Damn, that really sucks. ;(

I'm sure you will will find some other meaningful activity to replace gaming eventually. Best of luck!

I'm sorry to hear that. May I ask what was the game that led to your seizure?
Just Cause 2, which is a shame, because that game is awesome.

Here's the problem: pretty much universally, all of the things I like to do, and am good at, need a computer. I like writing, but whenever I write shorthand, it takes forever, is illegible, and my hand starts to hurt. I like graphics design, but again, I need a computer to do that properly. I haven't had any luck finding a band to be in, and whenever I make music, it pretty much has to involve a computer. I don't like sports, and... well, I could go on for a long time.

It's a catch-22, unfortunately. :sad:

Crap, that's no good. What's all the science behind it that makes it hard to cope and still play games?
Well, here's the thing. I'm the sort of person that needs to never, ever drink alcohol or smoke. I have an addictive personality. So whenever I start playing a game, it's very hard to stop.

And too much stimulation, well... :violin:

This community really is pretty cool. All you guy's have been so nice! :clap:

Don't games have epilepsy warnings? Or are they not enough sometimes?

Have you tried sticking to adventure games for a while? Explosions and flashy colors are almost non-existent! ;(

That sucks. ><

Julian "Rabbit" Murdoch on Gamers With Jobs has talked a bit about gaming with epilepsy. He also wrote this. He seems like a welcoming guy, so I am sure you can try to e-mail him about it, ask for advice or something?

I guess he might even not have the same type of epilepsy as you, but it's worth a shot. =)

Is using a computer (for writing, making music, etc.) always a potential hazard for you or just when you do it too much? I mean if you were able to limit your (not overstimulating) computer usage to, say, an hour or two at a time and then had a break would that be safe? I understand that even 'relatively safe' is maybe too risky in this case, but how much of the problem, do you think, is the 'addictive personality'.

I'm sorry to keep pushing this, no need to answer if you don't want to. I just know next to nothing about the condition.

This is a huge bummer. I hope there's some way to make gaming feasible. I don't know anything about epilepsy (excepting David B's graphic novel of the same name), but have you tried changing your gaming set up? I mean things like distance from screen, brightness, room lighting vs screen lighting. Like you said, a lot of things require computer screens, and it's a big shame if there aren't ways to use them that mitigate the chance of a seizure.

Could Armchair's medication thing be worth pursuing? I mean, he's usually full of shit (and he steals), but sometimes he says useful things, like when he gave me his address. Also, not that it's helpful, but if it's related to stimulation from playing and not directly to the visuals, do you know if you get the same reaction if you just watch other people play? And from your last post it sounds like it's all computer use, like word processing. Could it be related to the display you're using, different lighting conditions, etc? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Did Armchair seriously fuck over a group of you guys? I'm really still confused about that.

I thought the problem for Snoogle was that he is still getting seizures even when limiting game time. I guess it's just so much compounded computer usage?

Man, that sucks big time :/

Just Cause 2 isn't really a flashy game. But it is high on motion sickness triggering thingies. I've been told that playing in a well lid room, with a "small" good monitor that isn't set too bright, helps a lot.

That is a huge fucking bummer, sir. Sorry to hear about that. It'd suck even more if giving up games caused you to depart the forum, as you've certainly made a case for yourself over the last while. Take care of yourself man. Here's hoping you post some happier news soon.

Man, that sucks. And I sympathize - it scared me big time when I thought I couldn't play any more games (though my problems were nowhere near as serious as epileptic seizure).

I'm surprised that Just Cause 2 was the trigger... I would've guessed a much faster paced and flashier game. Was it running on an aging hardware at a low framerate? ~30 or lower always hurts my brain.

Armchair wanted me to post a public announcement to the effect that I'm just kidding, and he has never stolen almost anything in his entire life. I'm truly sorry if I have offended him or his family with my cruel jokes about him, and hope his reputation hasn't been completely tarnished beyond his ability to slowly restore it by working hard and not stealing.

Armchair wanted me to post a public announcement to the effect that I'm just kidding, and he has never stolen almost anything in his entire life.

only my hopes, dreams, and dignity. :(