toblix

Mass Effect 3

I feel like you're pulling my leg, only because of the explosion line.

Just like everyone that finished the game thought Bioware was pulling their leg...

It's really strange to me that you use the "next thread" link! I never imagined that people used those.

My mind is blown.

Blown in red, green or blue?

But surely everyone does that? Goes through all their unread topics with the 'Next Thread' button? Everyone?

I click the New Posts button and then from there select which threads I want to read. U:

You know, I think I only just now figured their reasoning behind not having any "sex" scenes. It's probably because this is the first Mass Effect that allows male on male gay romances. /speculation

It seemed plausible in my head, at least.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

On the other hand, the sex scenes have been so weird and awkward, that I don't miss them. Not that they lingered on the alien boning really, but it's definitely more implied now.

Seems like a sensible move. Alien sexing is not fun to watch, implied romance is nice. Also the ending hurts me inside.

I'm thinking about getting into the multiplayer, purely to boost my galactic readiness. I am not a big fan of multiplayer, but I figure now is a good time to jump in. Any tips for making it a good experience? I appreciate it.

-JP

I have successfully avoided the multiplayer by downloading ME3 Datapad (on iOS) and sending my ships on a mission every now and then. It is slow but requires practically no active effort, although the program can be quite infuriating at times. I downloaded the thing about a week ago and the multiplier is now at 84%.

The multiplayer is quite entertaining actually. It's a very decent co-op shooter. The only thing lacking is variation in the scenarios.

Just give it a try. It's really easy to boost your galactic readyness to 100% with just a few matches. Playing on Gold is really a challenge. Even when you've got 3 friends to play with and work together it's no guarantee for success. Which makes it all the better when you do manage to win a gold round :tup:

Don't dismiss it out of hand because of the freemium stuff. You earn enough in game cash to get all the extra weapons & characters you'll need.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I am actually looking forward to it now. I will download the Datapad too, I had no idea it even existed. The way you describe it, it kinda sounds like the "Pinta's quest" mini game in Skies of Arcadia.

So, I haven't purchased ME3 because I don't like dealing with Origin games on PC... BUT now that I have a PS3!

Has anyone played ME3 on PS3? Is it worth picking up?

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 on a console, but the idea of playing this game on PS3 (when you, presumably, have a PC capable of running it) just because of Origin is weird to me. That's just my opinion, though, and you are of course free to play (or not to play) the game on any platform you want.

I think the cupcake thing was pretty funny, and I'm heartened by the fact that people got together and did something about something they didn't like. Yes, it's only a game ending, but so what? It's better than just moaning about it on a game forum (no offence to anyone who complained about it here).

Fuck it. They send them a 400 cupcakes. Big deal. I bet BioWare enjoyed them, and also got the message. It's not like they sent a 400 cat turds.

From everything I've seen, the reasons for disliking the ME3 ending are perfectly valid.

6M0Cf864P7E

So I finished Mass Effect 3 today. I was disappointed but not enraged by the ending. There's probably a lot to talk about regarding the ending, but most of it has been done more thoroughly by others already. Also, I just don't think it actually hit me as hard as many. So I'll just touch on a couple of points.

Warning: Ending spoilers follow.

The obvious but possibly less important point is WTF is the deal with the Normandy? I've yet to hear anyone explain that in a way that is sensible. Why were they leaving? Where were they going? How did squad members who were on Earth just moments before (let alone the ones who were literally by your side) end up on the ship? That whole thing was just... bizarre.

The other thing that bothered me specifically was that there was no denouement whatsoever. At the end of the first two games there was a short time after the climactic mission during which some of the consequences were explained. The chat with Udina and Anderson regarding the saving/death of the Council and so on in ME1, the chat with the Illusive Man regarding the Collector Base's fate in ME2. These did some good tying up of loose ends and made the final choices feel more important.

By comparison, ME3 is riddled with moments of denouement for the series in general but completely fails to have one for its own story arc. The closest you get to finding out the fate of any of the characters you spent three games building relationships with is the aforementioned dumb-as-a-box-of-hair Normandy section. I'm not saying the fate of the fleet or the galaxy without the Mass Relays should necessarily have been laid out fully, but the ending feels rather... abrupt.There's a minute of cutscene after the final choice and then ending credits. It didn't make me angry, it just left me unsatisfied. I don't feel like I got an ending at all, because what I saw was almost entirely disconnected from all the choices I had ever made up until that point. It was almost as if it was from a different game entirely.

Oh well, let's see if there's a game series next generation that brings a cast of characters through an entire trilogy in a meaningful way. Perhaps that'll somehow come up with an ending that makes people happy.

disconnected from all the choices I had ever made up until that point. It was almost as if it was from a different game entirely.

That's the worst part. A lot of the discourse about the ending suggests that players are upset because the ending is a downer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I perfectly enjoy a good tragedy. I'm unsatisfied by the ending, because it has nothing to do with anything.

It's like if you took Citizen Kane (sorry) and replaced the final scene with the end of Blazing Saddles… or a looping video of a cat playing with a piece of string.

I don't even mind leaving things unresolved. The contents of the ending are so utterly stupid that they're worse than nothing.

Some have suggested that the ending would have been better if it cut to credits with Anderson and Shepard slumped down dying/dead while looking at Earth. It's not ideal, but it's better than hologram kid and his three nonsense choices

A lot of complaints revolve around holes in the plot continuity. The holes are certainly present, though I don't really care about that either. The part that sucks is how out of left field the ending is conceptually and thematically. They try to go all deep and intellectual without having built the necessary foundation for it. Alright, I'm gonna stop before I get myself worked up again.

A lot of the discourse about the ending suggests that players are upset because the ending is a downer.

Actually, that's apparently what most people are saying they're NOT saying. Like the video I linked to. He makes the point that an unhappy ending is fine... if only it was GOOD.

Actually, that's apparently what most people are saying they're NOT saying. Like the video I linked to. He makes the point that an unhappy ending is fine... if only it was GOOD.

Yeah, to be more specific, much of the media coverage I've seen has characterized it that way. Like, the blogs reporting on the whole "controversy" say that players are upset because they didn't get the storybook ending, while the players are saying that they want an ending that isn't dumb and nonsensical.

When I arrived at the office today a copy of Mass Effect 3 was delivered for me. The customer support guy didn't even tell me the posted it... the also didn't notify me in any way on how to pay the outstanding 16 euros. The package did contain an invoice when the total was reduced to zero.

So.... did I now get Mass Effect 3 for free?!

Anyway... installed it after some messing around. I had to restart the installer after install that origin crap. What a broken installer. So, with the "normal" version I'm missing out on the day-1 DLC that was included with the collector's edition? And they was 10 euro for that DLC?!

Sad thing is, I probably won't be able to enjoy this game this week because I'm on standby :/

I didn't play with DLC and I didn't miss it. You'd think the extra character would be a big deal, but like Zaeed, it's superfluous.

Jeeeesus fucking christ. I can't read this thread because I haven't finished, but I stopped playing for a while few weeks ago because of getting insta-killed on Tuchunka without warning. Now I can't get past that scene because it happens constantly and the game chose this moment to not autosave whenever you progress. Fucking 80s game design.

I didn't play with DLC and I didn't miss it. You'd think the extra character would be a big deal, but like Zaeed, it's superfluous.

I wouldn't go that far. This guy actually has an effect (of a massive scale) on story missions. I was pretty surprised with how well he is integrated into the storyline (compared to ME2 DLC characters).

Jeeeesus fucking christ. I can't read this thread because I haven't finished, but I stopped playing for a while few weeks ago because of getting insta-killed on Tuchunka without warning. Now I can't get past that scene because it happens constantly and the game chose this moment to not autosave whenever you progress. Fucking 80s game design.

If you're playing on PC, I'd suggest looking into finding a trainer to allow you to cheat your way past this particular moment. If you're not... how far back are your previous saves?

I just lowered the difficulty for a bit and then was more prepared to figure out the twisted logic of this bit. Turns out you're harder to hit if you move slowly...:mock: