toblix

Mass Effect 3

We're just talking about 3 in this thread.

I'm not sure how I feel about Earth being a focus. ME has gone from being about the threat of organic genocide, to specifically about hunting down the human race. I guess it might be revenge for what Shepard did, but it does reinforce the "HEERO OF THE UNIVEEERSE!" aspect that is a bit less interesting than the systems of their setting.

Fine..

Yeah, the scanning was quite dull and pointless but it didn't bother me that much. On the other hand, the Mako sections could have been interesting but they were so poorly implemented that they made the overall game seem of less quality. I hope they can find some kind of compromise.

Mass Effect 3 trailer.

The idea of wandering round the galaxy, looking for best weapons deals and palladium and helping your crew members clear their difficult father-daughter relationships while the Earth is burning, somehow made me giggle.

Why is the name of this thread not "Mass 3ffect"?

Surely you jest. It would be "Mass Ef3ect".

I don't like the earthy teaser :/ I want less earth like stuff. I want more stuff of those ancient races like ME1 had.

I felt the same way about the trailer. It's hard to give a fuck about the Earth when there are so many awesome things in the Universe. Like hot sensual tentacle ladies.

Let us please remember that Bioware has in recent years never really managed to

a. Make a proper trailer

b. Capture the final product in said trailer

I wonder who will be the biotic bitch now?

If the Illusive Man is not in Mass Effect 3 I'm going to throw a hissy fit.

No no, don't tell whether he's in or not, I couldn't survive it right now.

He'd better be.

I wonder who will be the biotic bitch now?

"Mass Effect 3's about to make you its biotic bitch...suck it down."

-John Romero (special correspondent for IGN.com)

I felt the same way about the trailer. It's hard to give a fuck about the Earth when there are so many awesome things in the Universe. Like hot sensual tentacle ladies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed by the lack of a Shepard/Hanar relationship option.

I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed by the lack of a Shepard/Hanar relationship option.

:tup:

It kind of cheapens everything I did in the first two games if the Reapers just invade anyway.

MASS EFFECT 1 + 2

Shepard: "I'm going to save the galaxy from evil aliens intent on destroying everything!"

MASS EFFECT 3

Evil Aliens: "We destroyed most of the Earth! But maybe you can save some of it...?"

So gritty. Still, I'll play this video game, in spite of the Stalingrad snipe-town overtones conveyed by this trailer. It'll probably actually be like Mass Effect!

I also thought that having the reapers invade would be the end of it. All those spaceships barely took out one in the first game.

I'm wondering if this game will have large gaps of time Fable style, or if it will be set far after 2. Some of the stuff that would effect your reinforcements like the Tuchanka situation, or the Krogan population, or the possible Quarian war don't seem like they're the kind of thing you can show up and just deal with in a couple hours like most quests. Even the time scale for the Reapers to show up from over in Scary Dark Space, without their special Mass Relay, is probably pretty significant.

I think you guys are assuming that the cinematic takes place at the start of the game. It'd probably fit in about the same point as the reaper IFF did in ME2. Maybe with a longer "all-in" portion to the game.

I'm waiting for more info about the multiplayer aspect of the game. It sounds like ME3 will be going even more towards the shooter genre, mirroring the shooters that have RPG elements for opening new perks/weapons.

I'm waiting for more info about the multiplayer aspect of the game. It sounds like ME3 will be going even more towards the shooter genre, mirroring the shooters that have RPG elements for opening new perks/weapons.

Where did you hear that?

It was a big rumor a while ago because of hirings at Bioware, but it seems that a moderator in the ME forums confirmed it will be a single-player only game. However, it's a no-brainer for me to make a multiplayer spin-off... which is a possibility.

Am I a bad person for not liking Mass Effect?

It's the only BioWare product I despise with all my soul.

It was a big rumor a while ago because of hirings at Bioware, but it seems that a moderator in the ME forums confirmed it will be a single-player only game. However, it's a no-brainer for me to make a multiplayer spin-off... which is a possibility.

There was also that EA executive who claimed that single player gaming is dead, and they are constantly trying to implement multiplayer features in their games.

Am I a bad person for not liking Mass Effect?

Mass Effect is a silly soap opera. You're not missing much if you don't play it, but it's a fun guilty pleasure.

Its conversation system is quite good and I'm glad to see that other games have copied it. Gameplay-wise other than that I don't think it offers much that's new.

I think you guys are assuming that the cinematic takes place at the start of the game.

I don't care if the invasion comes at the beginning of the game or not. I don't like millions dying just to "raise the stakes".

In Mass Effect 2, a few hundred colonists were killed by the Collectors. That's horrible and it justifiably shook up a lot of your crew members. But for most people, life went on. The destruction of London and the slaughter of millions means that no one on Earth (or any Human off it) can live the same way again. It's truly apocalyptic and it changes the definition of what Shepard can "save."

It's totally valid to make a game like this, but it makes the soap opera antics of endorsing shops and punching reporters seem all too trivial.

If only I hadn't wasted time in Mass Effect 1 by shoving a gun in the face of my biggest fan! Then the Earth would be safe!

Oh man, I still would've loved some sort of side-quest that was initiated when more than one store had the exact same endorsement. The endorsement thing is supposed to be the Paragon thing to do, but just as a thing, it's kind of a douchebag move. :grin:

In Mass Effect 2, a few hundred colonists were killed by the Collectors.

Your point still stands, but I think it was a bit more than that.

HUGE DORK MOMENT

According to the Mass Effect Wiki, The collectors got away with a third of the population of Horizon, which was 654,930 people. So at least 200 000 people were captured from that colony alone. Freedom's Progress's population of 912,810 was also entirely abducted. And those are not the only colonies involved. The death count is more on the order of hundreds of thousands.

HUGE DORK MOMENT OVER!

Ugh, I feel so dirty.