Orv

V The Elder Scrolls

I've always been a fan of "they" until someone self-identifies. It actually came up when I was editing my thesis. My supervisor mentioned it as something that made sense to him as well but I would need to be prepared to defend as a stylistic decision (technically grammatically incorrect, I suppose) from some people. Weird that that would be a point of contention.

Heh, i have caused a ruckus with my gender specific pronouns.

I'm generally of the mind that "he" and "his" are fine in the absence of any indication of gender.

Apologies if i've caused offense.

Do you not own Skyrim yet?

1. What is wrong with you, you monster?

2. It's 33% off on Steam right now, along with a newly released (free) Hi-Res texture pack.

Get.

Edited by Orvidos

Skyrim perhaps maybe just roasted my Xbox. Maybe. I was dropping some excess potions and jewelry into the Whiterun canals, and suddenly my world was white with black particles flying around the edges of objects. Back on the Dashboard, my avatar didn't seem too great either. No rings of red though, so I turned the thing off and will have a look-see to-morrow.

So apparently they put the SPAAAAAAAAAACE personality sphere from portal 2 in as a mod. Gotta check that out later. Oh also grabbed the hi-res texture pack, the game has an actual load time for me now.

I realize that I typed up my first post in a hurry, I'll elaborate:

1. I am a Man. My name is more an obscure (maybe?) reference or two.

2. I do feel that Skyrim is a better game - as much as "better" can be quantified - and that the world potentially is more engaging. But as Gwardinen pointed out, I've changed and now I feel like how the game plays, how tactile the experience is (or isn't, in this case) much more important to me than it was before. The point I'm making is that if I don't feel connected enough to my character I'm distracted from enjoying the world.

3. And when I say that the world is bland, I mean more the whole "dragonsmagicskings," not the setting and atmosphere which I feel is much improved from Oblivion. The first time night fell outside Dragonreach (?) and I saw the dome above I was almost floored - I had a similar feeling to when you are snorkeling in clear seas, that the bottom of the sea and all life on it is so close you can touch it. And things like this is awesome:

I don't expect anyone on here to shout and swear over opinions on a video game, but I find that Skyrim creates a much stronger world for me to experience. It's little things like the unscripted conversation between a mother and daughter concerning where they're eating the same night, or some other such mundane point of interest.

4. I played New Vegas on the computer and I enjoyed that experience much, much more. I think it has something to do with guns working better with the FPS-view but I'm not certain.

P. S. Am I the only one who has difficulties with tenses when talking about games? I never know if I should refer to their release, the time I experience it or it's existence. English doesn't come naturally to me though so it might just be that.

Or two thousand and one? ;)

Perhaps. Perhaps also to nuclear holocaust, but keep that on the hush-hush ;)

Also: No comment on my comment? I feel snubbed...

Do you not own Skyrim yet?

1. What is wrong with you, you monster?

2. It's 33% off on Steam right now, along with a newly released (free) Hi-Res texture pack.

Get.

I admit I am yet to buy it but to be honest I fear for the life of our television.

I recently bought the Fallout 3 GOTY edition for my wife which as it turns out was the biggest mistake of my life. I've barely been allowed near the TV outside of her leaving the house and she immediately bought New Vegas as soon as she finished it. Her dad has also been playing through Skyrim so I fear he may have already told her about it signalling the end of me ever playing a console again.

Back to pc gaming it is!

I do think that this is fairly awesome. It seems like as a developer, you don't touch another developer's games. Breaking this convention is such a fun little way is incredible and goes to show what you can do with the proper resources. I want to see more developers messing around with mods and toolkit for games they themselves didn't create!

8SE5owAIPmk

That is possibly the most inspiring thing I have ever seen from a developer, I'm currently playing through on the PS3 due to not having a good enough computer when the game released, though now that I have a better one, I look forward to re-buying and playing through Skyrim again but with mods. If they haven't already, I'd love to see all of these implemented into the game somehow.

Also, I've encountered two really awful bugs that really ruin the atmosphere and often just make me hate participating in certain quests.

The first comes from the city or Markarth. Following the quest concerning Cidnha Mine, it's no longer possible to visit the city without being attacked by every guard. My bounty is too high to be paid off, so the guards insist that I must be sent to the prison, unfortunately the prison doesn't exist any more/ has been made redundant so the conversation just loops until I back out or initiate a fight with the guards. This makes quests where I have to have a conversation with anyone inside the city a nightmare.

The second is linked to the first. Farkas from the companions is scripted as a guard (supposedly) so will constantly chase the player if they have a bounty in any hold. Because I have no way to eliminate my bounty, Farkas will constantly follow me and converse with me if he gets within five feet, this made the entire Companions quest line about 5x harder (as Farkas would often distract me while I was fending off my opponents, and he would never attack anyone.) There's even been times when, despite me being near Riften and Farkas still near Jorrvskar, I could not fast travel because "Guards were chasing me."

Fortunately, the Companions quest line is behind me and I'm at a high enough level, with good enough spells, that I can survive an onslaught from the Markarth guards while I chat with a NPC, but it's still annoying that I had to go through all of that, they're the only things that have caused me to actually just turn the game off and walk away.

It appears that the Space core wasn't the only thing they added in the Portal mod:

attachment.php?attachmentid=791&stc=1&d=1328991612

post-2479-13375603563001_thumb.jpg

Does it follow the cursor and make navigating the skill trees even more difficult?

No, it just floats around the starfield. I just grabbed that screen when it got close. At first I thought it was the Space Core as a thing you might see before it crashes down, but then it spun around and turned out to be Wheatley.

My SSD was fried during a power surge last week (I suspect). Luckily I only used it for Windows and software and a separate HDD holds my Steam folder. However, I loaded Skyrim up today only to find that all the saves were stored in the user docs... on the SSD.

Crap.

So, this is an obituary to Adynod, my Khajiit friend. Taken from us before his time, a mere 68 hours old. Let it be known that he made the finest of rugs. His spirit will never be too far away, In fact I imagine he's behind us all right now; crouched with bow drawn.

Rumour has it he was last seen in a cave near Riften and should I venture that way again I shall build a small shrine on which I'll lay a single poison tipped arrow.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/F4TC4T/screenshot/488876370013156950

Farewell friend.

Wait, Skyrim doesn't do steam cloud save? Because I installed it on my netbook recently continued playing where I left off, without having to transfer save files.

So I finally sat down and knocked my way through the Main Quest. I was really incredibly ticked off that

Tsun

was a harder fight than any I've had in Skyrim so far. Harder than the final boss, harder than the dragon priest and twenty Draugr before the final boss (though admittedly I just shouted them all off the roof of the temple, so) and that just annoys me.

Again admittedly, I just strapped on the 25% Destruction cost decrease mask I'd just gotten and the Robes of the Archmage and shot three fireballs at him, but it felt cheap because in melee he two-hits me.

After 87 hours of play, I think I'm done with Skyrim, at least for a while. I beat the main quest as well as the Bards College and College of Winterhold questlines. I even crafted the dragonplate armor which I found to be weaker than the Daedric one.

Short review: good game.

I've started a pacifist character, that will hopefully end up in an article.

So far I haven't hurt anything, but I've taken to bringing around a bodybard that can deal with random bandits and wolves.

I've been using wards, healing and fear so far, as well as voice of the emperor. But I'm still looking for a way I can actually go out on adventure without bringing anyone or killing anyone. Any hints for other spells and such to make this easier?

I started the Mages College, because it seemed the most tranquil storyline so far, but even in the first quest they threw undead at me. I ran straight out of those ruins. =(

I'm having fun just crafting and alcheming, as well as trying out different merchants, who was what and at what price etc., but I'm curious to how long it will last.