Orv

V The Elder Scrolls

In that quest, when i was sent into the prison, i just killed the leader of the Forsworn and fled. The quest resolved with a different conclusion that didn't result in most of the NPC's in Markath being killed, but the reward wasn't as good.

It was night when I escaped, so as far as I can tell they only killed guards and that asshole owner of the mine

It's only 97k in his pocket. I'd be more interested in the total amount of gold he has collected.

Anyway.. looking at the carry weight of 500 I guess he's at level 50-60 or something. So, I think 70-80 hours?

Is the only way to get that legendary stuff spending time buffing up enchanting and smithnig? Because I really don't feel like doing that at all.

I really like the look of the menus. I know that's odd to say, but I really do. They kind of make me want to play the game.

Shame they feel like crap on PC, but yeah, they do look nice.

Is the only way to get that legendary stuff spending time buffing up enchanting and smithnig? Because I really don't feel like doing that at all.

Yeah, legendary requires Smithing 100. The double enchantments require Enchanting 100. It's not really that hard, if you just hunt occasionally and turn all your pelts into leather bracers (1 leather, 1 leather strips) and iron ingots into iron daggers (1 iron ingot, 1 leather strips). I spent only the like... last 10 levels "grinding" because I was so close, buying pelts wherever I saw them and hunting for a couple hours straight.

Your armour makes me want to take up Smithing, JonCole. That's dragonbone, right? Or dragonscale? Is that the light/heavy armour difference?

I've been focussing on Enchanting on the basis that I find decent armour anyway and as a pure mage robes tend to be better than armour in any case. Once I'm full Enchanting I figure I can find some decent armour and make it almost as good as robes in terms of extra magicka, magicka regen and spell discounts. But maybe I actually should start levelling Smithing properly and actually create that armour.

Plus I suppose the economic value of finding ore and pelts for free, turning those into armour and then enchanting that armour with found soul gems is undeniable. You could be making hundreds of gold per item when selling them after 0 gold investment, and it levels your Smithing, Enchanting and Speech too.

I may have just talked myself into becoming a merchant.

Your armour makes me want to take up Smithing, JonCole. That's dragonbone, right? Or dragonscale? Is that the light/heavy armour difference?

I've been focussing on Enchanting on the basis that I find decent armour anyway and as a pure mage robes tend to be better than armour in any case. Once I'm full Enchanting I figure I can find some decent armour and make it almost as good as robes in terms of extra magicka, magicka regen and spell discounts. But maybe I actually should start levelling Smithing properly and actually create that armour.

Plus I suppose the economic value of finding ore and pelts for free, turning those into armour and then enchanting that armour with found soul gems is undeniable. You could be making hundreds of gold per item when selling them after 0 gold investment, and it levels your Smithing, Enchanting and Speech too.

I may have just talked myself into becoming a merchant.

Yup, the incentives are pretty great when you consider that cycle. And if you're willing to give up like... 50% of your profits, you can buy pelts (not leather) and petty/lesser filled soulgems whenever you see them to further accelerate all three categories. Also, keep an eye out at Radiant Raiment in Solitude for the "Necklace of Extreme Haggling" which gives 22% lower/higher prices for buying/selling.

And yes, I'm packing the Dragonscale (light) armor. Dragonplate is the heavy variety, but both end up being relatively equivalent after factoring in armor perks (both weight and armor wise). Dragonscale requires Dragon Scales to smith, and Dragonplate requires both Scales and Bones. Might be worth holding onto some of that stuff if you ever intend on making the armor.

Keep in mind, if you do smithing, that Dragonscale is the best light armor available, but Dragonplate is not the best heavy armor available. That distinction goes to Daedric, which is, on average, about 5 points heavier, but also about 20 armor points higher. So if you're there for the heavy armor, you don't even need to go to Dragonsmithing.

Edited by Orvidos

I have the heavy armor perk that makes it weightless (when wearing). You need 70 heavy armor for that.

Keep in mind, if you do smithing, that Dragonscale is the best light armor available, but Dragonplate is not the best heavy armor available. That distinction goes to Daedric, which is, on average, which on average is about 5 points heavier, but also about 20 armor points higher. So if you're there for the heavy armor, you don't even need to go to Dragonsmithing.

The only reason I even picked up dragon was to make dragonscale and dragon bone armors for lydia/aela. On this character anyway, probably doing a 3rd character soon

Also, it's just worth knowing that, like Oblivion, the maximum protection armor is able to offer is at 80% damage reduction. In this game, that apparently equates to around 560 armor points.

Also, has anybody here had troubles with the 1.2 patch?

Been seeing horror stories all over the place, the entire region around Riften causing hard lock-ups on fast travel, dragons incredibly flying backwards, progressive performance drops and gradually decreasing stability, etc.

Magical resistances were also apparently broken for just about everybody. Like, all of it, all the magical resistances. (Simple way to check - Summon a fire atronach, shoot destruction fire at it. Does it take damage?)

Bethesda even issued an apology and is promising a fix early next week.

The only think I've experienced so far was performance degradation.

These treasure map (unmarked) quests are quite difficult. I currently have one that has a bridge, some waterfalls in the background, and a sign pointing to Riften. But the sign is pointing in the wrong direction.

These treasure map (unmarked) quests are quite difficult. I currently have one that has a bridge, some waterfalls in the background, and a sign pointing to Riften. But the sign is pointing in the wrong direction.

Search around behind the mountain that is south east of Riften, it's along a road that leads out of Skyrim into Morrowind.

Hmm... I think I've been there before (for a Daedra quest).

Btw, is it just me or are the Daedric princes way more active in Skyrim than in previous games? I already had to deal with 5 or 6 of them so far.

Hmm... I think I've been there before (for a Daedra quest).

Probably so, i think one of the daedric quests takes you right by that spot.

Btw, is it just me or are the Daedric princes way more active in Skyrim than in previous games? I already had to deal with 5 or 6 of them so far.

They've just kind of front-loaded those quests, made them exceedingly difficult to miss. I mean, pretty much everybody is going to end up with the Mace of Molag Bal with the way that quest is just thrown at you seconds after entering Markath.

There's always been one daedric quest for every daedric prince since Daggerfall, so that's not different, but they were always hidden away and hard to find. In Skyrim, they're just kind of shoving them in your face.

I'm sure they probably looked at some kind of data that showed a depressingly small number of people playing what are usually some of the most out-there and interesting quests in each respective game, and then decided to make them much easier to find as a result.

I think it's fine having a lot of the quests start in towns instead of out-of-the-way shrines, but the way they're so impossible to miss kind of kills the fun of discovering the artifacts. (The Wabbajack has never been more awesome, though.)

Also, having all these asshole gods so upfront kind of fucks with the low-fantasy tone they're trying to establish in this game.

So I'm playing through again as a sneaky assassiny type. Pissed off the guards in Solitude so bad with the 2 assassinations I committed in their town that they broke the laws of physics. They swam through the air after me, far out of town. I sadly did not get a screenshot of the school of guards swarming on a bear, because I was laughing too fucking hard. By the time I went to take a screenshot, the other 15 guards had gone back.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197992895476/screenshot/630732600985145543/?tab=

Search around behind the mountain that is south east of Riften, it's along a road that leads out of Skyrim into Morrowind.

I visited that location, but I can find the treasure :/