Orv

V The Elder Scrolls

Wards are more for defending against magic, which is extremely important, but wards drain too much magic for use in all situations. (Unless you're applying perks in such a way that their costing costs are reduced to relative viability.) The alteration spells are what you need for a non-armor builds to survive in physical combat. Their casting cost isn't as huge and casts as a passive ability, but those won't defend against magic.

I find healing works well against physical, hough I'm only 10 hours in, work and beer keep stealing my time :(.

I find healing works well against physical, hough I'm only 10 hours in, work and beer keep stealing my time :(.

Trade in that beer for some mead. I almost typed bear there, that could have been awkward.

With enchantment, it's good to know that any item you enchant gains value based on the spell you enchant it with rather than what soul gem or item you start with.

I'm fairly sure that the item gains greater value with greater soul gems too, but yes the different enchantments do have different values. Currently I think my most valuable one has been enchanting random jewellery with Fortify Sneak. If you're levelling enchanting it's a great way to do that and get money at the same time.

Also, if you find someone that wants firewood, for example, can't you just go chop logs for as long as you like? I've never actually tried letting it go beyond about three, but is there a cap? Since that's a continuous action you could just set it to chop logs for a while while you go afk. That said if you're doing something as stupid and gamey as that it's probably just as sensible to use the console to give yourself the money (if you're playing on PC, obviously).

Also, if you find someone that wants firewood, for example, can't you just go chop logs for as long as you like?

I haven't really bothered with the wood-chopping, but if it's like mining ore, you can probably "exhaust" the wood pile.

What are your builds all looking like?

I'm playing an Argonian with a focus on shield/one-handed, conjuration/restoration, smithing, and archery. (And while i wouldn't say they're focuses, as a result of the way i play, i have sneak, light armor, lock-picking, alchemy, and speech all built up really heavily too.)

I'm fairly sure that the item gains greater value with greater soul gems too, but yes the different enchantments do have different values. Currently I think my most valuable one has been enchanting random jewellery with Fortify Sneak. If you're levelling enchanting it's a great way to do that and get money at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The strength of the enchantment and type of enchantment have a drastically higher effect on value than the item being enchanted, soul gem, or number of charges (for weapons). For instance, an iron dagger enchanted with Absorb Health 15 pts will be worth much more than one enchanted with Absorb Health 1 pts with many more charges. Also, an orcish dagger enchanted with the same will only be worth as much more than the iron dagger directly proportional to their original values.

What are your builds all looking like?

I'm playing an Argonian with a focus on shield/one-handed, conjuration/restoration, smithing, and archery. (And while i wouldn't say they're focuses, as a result of the way i play, i have sneak, light armor, lock-picking, alchemy, and speech all built up really heavily too.)

I've got a level 45 Redguard that wears light armor and fights with sneak/archery and destruction/one-handed war axe. He's also got 100 in Smithing and Enchanting, which lead me to hunt down the sweet Dragonscale armor set with 2 enchantments per piece:

2011-11-23_00001.jpg

What good are expensive items when it's almost impossible to sell them. I have plenty of expensive items in stock, but I can usually only sell a few items at a time before the guy runs out of money.

What good are expensive items when it's almost impossible to sell them. I have plenty of expensive items in stock, but I can usually only sell a few items at a time before the guy runs out of money.

Yeah, that can be an issue. If you really want to make some money in that situation you'll actually have to become a genuine travelling trader and move between holds selling to people. Additionally, there is a perk in the Speech tree that gives all merchants more money. I think it's pretty high up though.

What good is gold when you have expensive items to trade for? I'm essentially at a point where all I use my money for is buying potion ingredients and hiring skill trainers.

I need gold to decorate my houses. I just bought my third house, and it's not decorated at all. My third house is in that shithole town of Markarth. Although it is quite a nice house, also much better than the Whiterun house. But not as good as the Solitude house. Although the Whiterun house is still closest to the gate.

Anyway, this is my current tooth pick: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elmuertecom/screenshot/594703156351295543/

It's quite nice, but it takes up so much space on the screen.

I need gold to decorate my houses. I just bought my third house, and it's not decorated at all. My third house is in that shithole town of Markarth. Although it is quite a nice house, also much better than the Whiterun house. But not as good as the Solitude house. Although the Whiterun house is still closest to the gate.

Anyway, this is my current tooth pick: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elmuertecom/screenshot/594703156351295543/

It's quite nice, but it takes up so much space on the screen.

Is that the Mace of Molag Bal, or just a Daedric Mace?

Also, I find the perk "sell anything to any merchant" very useful for offloading stuff. It makes Solitude pretty great for selling stuff because everyone is concentrated right by the gate. There's Thieves Guild fence in the Winking Skeever (1000g), Radiant Raiment (1000g), Bits and Pieces (700g), Alchemist (700g), Archery weapons salesman (700g), Blacksmith (1000g). Also, don't forget that you can often sell stuff to court wizards, who tend to have cool magical equipment and other stuff like soulgems.

i've got a lot of money, was thinking of buying a house, then I did and rolledback because it was such a shithole and I had other places to sleep.

What's this about house decorating?

If you speak to, I think the person you bought the house from, you can cozy it up with improvements. There are 6 or 7 of them ranging from 200 gold to 500 gold.

If you speak to, I think the person you bought the house from, you can cozy it up with improvements. There are 6 or 7 of them ranging from 200 gold to 500 gold.

Yeah, it's always the town steward. Also, those prices scale based on the initial value of the house. The most expensive "decorations" in the Solitude house are 2500 gold (price of the house is 25,000 gold).

Yeah, it's always the town steward. Also, those prices scale based on the initial value of the house. The most expensive "decorations" in the Solitude house are 2500 gold (price of the house is 25,000 gold).

Good lord. I'm a thief and I can't make that much money.

Well, damn! Unless I start making significantly more gold I don't see how I'll ever be able to afford that unless I put in like 300 hours!

Really? I've only put in <50 hours and I bought and fully decorated by Solitude house. I had around 35.000 at the time. I pretty much only sell stuff, and rarely buy things. Why buy things when there's plenty of stuff to find.

The Markarth house is 8,000 btw. I don't recall what the Whiterun house was priced at, but I think it was 2,500ish.

The Breezehome, the Whiterun house, is 5K. The full cost of upgrading it I believe comes to another 2K.

The Riften house is actually pretty great value for the money. Near the Thieves Guild and plenty of traders, also comes with an alchemy lab and enchanting table. I think it's only like... 6k base with 4k in upgrades.

I had a friend telling me he had a problem with NPC's wandering through his Riften house to leave the city, heh. (Since it's situated on the outer wall of said city.)

I had a friend telling me he had a problem with NPC's wandering through his Riften house to leave the city, heh. (Since it's situated on the outer wall of said city.)

That's amusingly accurate given the character of Riften as corrupt and crime-ridden.

Correction on my previous statement, I didn't have 35.000 in my pocket.

The most gold I've carried with me was 49299. And so far I've gathered 107648 in gold, most of it was spend on houses and smitting training. And I've done that all in 52 ingame days, with 135 hours of sleeping and 134 hours of waiting. Cleared 59 dungeons and found 173 locations. Looted 431 chests.

I finally found the way our of the shitty Markath conspirary quest.

The only proper way out is to simply go to jail.

Help the asshole leader/king out, escape, and

simply wait around for them to kill guards and what not, don't attack anybody yourself.

After that,

all is fine, and people like you

. But the jarl of that place is still a major asshole.

In that quest, when i was sent into the prison, i just killed the leader of the Forsworn and fled. The quest resolved with a different conclusion that didn't result in most of the NPC's in Markath being killed, but the reward wasn't as good.

Finally completed my Daedric armor set, with an extra heart to make a weapon for my companion/wife. First thing I do is murder a fort of stormcloaks for their souls, to enchant the last couple pieces I made. Felt thematically appropriate.