Orv

V The Elder Scrolls

That's weird, the link I found last night said one, dragonborn. Anyway, that's good news now!

That's weird, the link I found last night said one, dragonborn. Anyway, that's good news now!

Someone obviously got confused. You are 'dragonborn' no matter what race you choose.

Yeah, just like the character, regardless of class or race, is the False Nevarine in Morrowind, you're the last Dragonborn in Skyrim, regardless.

Yeah, just like the character, regardless of class or race, is the False Nevarine in Morrowind, you're the last Dragonborn in Skyrim, regardless.

Maybe Im getting DnD and Elder Scrolls mixed up too. Sounds like a pretty big possibility.

What I didn't like about stealth in Oblivion was that - unless you had a crazy superhuman stealth score - everyone in the area spotted you as soon as your first attack hit. If you did have super stealth then no-one could see you ever. there was almost no middle ground.

yeah i'm currently on my 4th playthrough of Oblivion and i've learned to abuse the system so much that i'm nearly done with all of the guild quests and I'm only level 1. i have equipment that i've crafted (thanks Frostcrag Spire) that gives me 120% invisibility. I have 100 stealth and 100 marksman. I have roughly 500,000 gold from stealing every food item I find, making a potion, and selling it off. I've used a few console commands but almost entirely for teleportation/fast travel because I'm tired of walking everywhere in that game, and I'm invincible at this point anyway.

yeah i'm currently on my 4th playthrough of Oblivion and i've learned to abuse the system so much that i'm nearly done with all of the guild quests and I'm only level 1. i have equipment that i've crafted (thanks Frostcrag Spire) that gives me 120% invisibility. I have 100 stealth and 100 marksman. I have roughly 500,000 gold from stealing every food item I find, making a potion, and selling it off. I've used a few console commands but almost entirely for teleportation/fast travel because I'm tired of walking everywhere in that game, and I'm invincible at this point anyway.

Wow, madness. I don't know how to feel about this. Does this not destroy a part of the charm of the game? Being able to abuse the glitches in the system to this level?

All of the TES games are pretty horrendously balanced and easy to break if you wish to try. (Like the alchemy skill and infinitely stacking buff potions in Morrowind. Make an intelligence buff potion, use that potion, then while buffed make a stronger intelligence buff potion. Repeat, repeat, repeat.)

It really comes down to, once you know enough about the game to abuse those systems, making a choice about which kind of experience you want to have.

I've always personally tried to avoid abusing the exploits.

All of the TES games are pretty horrendously balanced and easy to break if you wish to try. (Like the alchemy skill and infinitely stacking buff potions in Morrowind. Make an intelligence buff potion, use that potion, then while buffed make a stronger intelligence buff potion. Repeat, repeat, repeat.)

It really comes down to, once you know enough about the game to abuse those systems, making a choice about which kind of experience you want to have.

I could be wrong in this (my console experience is somewhat limited in these spheres) but TES 3 and 4 are the most breakable game mechanics in the history of RPGs. Sno mentioned the exponential potion glitch. Among some simpler examples are;

- swimming into a wall over night

- enchant duping

- don't even get me started about Daedric Item Summon spells

It's hilariously easy to break the TES games, as previously stated, and while temporarily amusing (100% chameleon with an elven sword that summons draemora on hit, for instance) they aren't something I'd do if actually playing through the entire game.

Except during the Corprusariam. Fuck you, Yagram. You and your stupid walker.

yeah exactly. I played it legit the first couple of times, then I decided to see just how far I could abuse the game. it's fun in its own special way. I mean ideally Skyrim will work as intended and this kind of thing won't happen but... whatever.

I have a different take on this: I actually love it that there are systems that you can abuse. It feels like that is how magic should work, with all these loopholes. Your creativity is the limit! I was actually frustrated that Oblivion had less of that than Morrowind, it felt like they tried to restrain you. So by all means, I hope Skyrim has lots of exploits that crafty players will find through invention.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/08/dragoning-on-fourteen-minutes-of-skyrim/#more-61642

14 minute of gameplay.

PCG Headline:

Skyrim's main quest 30 hours long. Additional content "two to three hundred" more.

It's been nice knowing you all. :violin:

Thoughts post-watching: Were I a less cultured gentlemen, I might express my desire to divulge buckets of something from myself.

:getmecoat

So someone said that the dude maybe half-way into the video getting cut in the throat didn't react at all, and yeah, I see that. But I also see how the draugur stumble back and into the wall when they get hit hard enough, leaning there for a second. And I see how the wolves reel sideways and tumble. So I'm cautiously optimistic on the "shit you hit with weapons responds" front.

Second thing. If that's on the Xbox, holy mother of gods, that's pretty as hell already, I can't imagine what full view distance, AA and the like will do to it.

Finally, dragons, cool as shit.

I can go sleep happily now.

Edited by Orvidos

So the little I played of Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood bits and running around needlessly killing people and stealing stuff.

The thought of ruining a town's economy by one small act of burning down a shop does sound exciting. Is that wrong?

So the little I played of Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood bits and running around needlessly killing people and stealing stuff.

The thought of ruining a town's economy by one small act of burning down a shop does sound exciting. Is that wrong?

Not in the least. :yep:

I remember Oblivion, I was so excited to tell my friends the next day that some dude visited me in my sleep and I now an assassin doing all this cool shit.

The next day at work, all three of us had the same story to share... :(

None of that bothers me, honestly.

Medium armor was never useful to me in Morrowind or Oblivion. I liked Bonemould armor, but not enough to focus on it. Not when light had Glass, Dark Brotherhood, Chitin and so forth. And even then, heavy armor had Indoril, Ebony, Iron. Hell, I think the Bloodmoon ice armor was heavy. (Indoril may have been Medium, my memory is fuzzy there.)

Armor design linkage. . .does that really bother you? Tell me how you feel. (Seriously, if it does, tell me why.)

Quest structure in both games seemed fine to me. Admittedly, yes, Skyrim probably won't field the "solve this quest 10 different ways" system, but that's okay to me.

And bar fights? That's just cool.

Armor design linkage. . .does that really bother you? Tell me how you feel. (Seriously, if it does, tell me why.)

I definitely found myself caring less about armor in Fallout 3/NV due to the singlet design. I fondly remember being able to truly piecemeal in Morrowind (even wearing a dress over the armor for one more enchantment) and somehow it interested me more because it was a little game in itself to find complete sets of armor. BUT, I also see their point and I'm sure there'll be more than enough to interest me in the game other than greaves and pauldrons.

I dunno, saying quests like Oblivions just seems like a step backwards, Id rather have fewer more interesting questlines than a lot of crummy quests.

The armor onesy just feels, again, like a step backwards, like I'm just buying a crafted doll rather then customizing the visual look of my character. Maybe it's a lot to ask because even Oblivion didn't really have this effect, but I love rpgs that tell a story just by what your wearing.

somehow it interested me more because it was a little game in itself to find complete sets of armor.

As an OCD gamer who almost forgot to drink water in order to play dress-up in Diablo II, I applaud the Skyrim developers for preventing me from succumbing to this horrid temptation.

In the past games such as Spore, Far Cry 2, and Crysis have succumbed to developer indulgence. All three games promised much more depth and detail then was ever contained in the full game. The supposed "Sim-Everything" Spore turned out to be closer to sim-nothing. Far Cry 2 (while being awesome. Far Cry 2 Far Cry 2) did not have the world depth it promised. And Crysis...well they said it would be in any way interesting and fun, it wasent.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion is one of my favorite games and i spent over 700hrs playing it across 360 and PC. However it does have a lot of flaws, mainly in the combat aspects. To be honest it also failed in many of its RPG aspects, and the one thing it got right was a huge world, which was enough for me.

Todd Howard keeps talking up how amazing Skyrim is going to be, but im keeping my expectations firmly set on "Oblivion 1.5". In a E3 preview i watched from G4, the combat was almost the same. Besides making it a little faster and giving players the new ability to control each hand, its still largely the same. Thats because their engine simply does not support anything else. I have played Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas, and they all have the floaty feeling... the way you walk, the way hits connect with you and enemies, its very disconnected. They may have "improved" the engine for Skyrim, but that will not change (and from what I have seen it has not).

Initially they promised to improve on many of the things from oblivion, but this link that Murdoc provided shows how they are backing off on that. The armor system is the same, the questing system is the same.

Unfortunately Bethesda is still the mediocre developer that made the inscrutable Morrowwind. Sure their games are good, but they are not great, and they are far from modern.

I expect nothing more from Skyrim then a new coat of paint on the aging engine, and a game that will be 80% similar to Oblivion. Hopefully thats enough to provide another couple hundred hours of fun.

Unfortunately Bethesda is still the mediocre developer that made the inscrutable Morrowwind. Sure their games are good, but they are not great, and they are far from modern.

I really don't know if this is trolling or not.

Doesn't bother me. Having linked upper and lower will presumably let them do animations more easily (i.e. without as much odd clipping) and if they deliver on their promise of more distinct looking sets of armor, I can only see that as a net plus over the ability to mix and match tops and bottoms.

They need a better face-maker though. Oblivion/Fallout/NV were all awful in that regard. A billion different options, but no way to make your character not ugly (well, without mods, anyhow). Seriously, a single fixed face model for each gender/race would have been the superior option if the one face they gave you wasn't deformed looking.

Edited by juv3nal

I really don't know if this is trolling or not.

It had damn well better be.

They need a better face-maker though. Oblivion/Fallout/NV were all awful in that regard. A billion different options, but no way to make your character not ugly (well, without mods, anyhow). Seriously, a single fixed face model for each gender/race would have been the superior option if the one face they gave you wasn't deformed looking.

Initial videos and screenshots seem to indicate a better level of "not beaten by a sack of potatoes" face tech.