pyide

1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)

Spiritual successor to AaAaAA!!! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, musically generated content this time, has an even better title, and it looks fucking amazing.

http://dejobaan.com/kickit/

Has anyone tried the alpha yet?

One thing I'm nervous about after seeing the video is how well it controls. The floating crosshair for shooting junk in a wii pointer-like fashion might mean a loss of the pure first person control that was in AaAaAA!!! which could be frustrating.

Wow I didn't think it was possible to make AaAaAA!!! more abstract but here it is. This game looks really cool though, music integration is pretty much always better.

Dejobaan is weird.

Yes, I know they've been making fun games since 1876. But I wish they worked out some of the other POCs. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is ok, but some of the other things looked much awesomer

I'm kind of disappointed by this. I'd like to see them try things other than "fall really fast and collect points". They're some whacked out individuals and it would be interesting to see what else they can do.

On the other hand, that it uses my music is sweet.

On the other other hand, I have yet to play a use-my-music game besides Audiosurf that actually FEELS like it was generated from my music.

Is there a demo? I've gotta try before buying for this sort of game, to see how well it actually does in matching to the music.

Like the site says, you can get access to the alpha if you pre-order it. There will probably be a fee demo at or closer to release, there were multiple demos for AaAaAA!!! if I'm not mistaken.

I'm personally hoping for a steam pre-order because I rarely buy games elsewhere these days, I perfer having a single service / collection. Having seen this video and having played AaAaAA!!! is enough to sell me already.

As for how well it matches the music, I couldn't say having not tried it but perhaps someone else can? I'd imagine the user music aspect is used more for generating unique levels on the fly than it is creating something truly synesthestic like Rez from nothing but a song, but that would be incredible.

From the trailer in the other topic:

Abraham Lincoln on the cymbal hit made me happy.

The other topic will presumably be shut down, therefore here is the trailer.

A3W-r9IobwI

I'm with Twig, it's way too similar to their previous game and I didn't even like that game that much... :blink:

I got the Alpha as part of the Steam Potato Sack and gave it a try.

For fans of the A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, this game is designed to be a bit more fast paced. As such it's controlled only by mouse. There are two preset levels (called cities) and a choose your own settings level for how the game determines what your level will play like. They seem to be very similar, although I haven't tried a wide variety of songs yet, the few I've tried had the same structure. The first one is very easy, but has a clear sense of rhythm. The second one is much more haphazard. I haven't tried setting my own stuff since it's not clear what the 3 settings do. Overall it's fun, but, understandably, it's missing some functionality.

I got the Alpha as part of the Steam Potato Sack and gave it a try.

For fans of the A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, this game is designed to be a bit more fast paced. As such it's controlled only by mouse. There are two preset levels (called cities) and a choose your own settings level for how the game determines what your level will play like. They seem to be very similar, although I haven't tried a wide variety of songs yet, the few I've tried had the same structure. The first one is very easy, but has a clear sense of rhythm. The second one is much more haphazard. I haven't tried setting my own stuff since it's not clear what the 3 settings do. Overall it's fun, but, understandably, it's missing some functionality.

The correct way to play it seems to be messing with the level settings, they pop out far more interesting and insane levels than the presets.