Squid Division

GOTY.cx 2010

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom - I fully expect no one to be talking about an indie game that came out in February; that was far too overlooked when it came out. But Winterbottom is one of the most enjoyable games I played this year. The silent film feel and a funny poem written between each level that tells the story in a nice way gives this game a very unique feel. It's a very pleasant experience.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat - On the extreme opposite of a game that is just 'nice' is probably CoP. I played about an hour of SoC and didn't really get it. My first experience in CoP was being dropped into a world, waiting around for a tutorial to kick in, restarting to see if I missed something, and finally getting killed by a boar because I accidentally dropped my gun. But I was able to learn the ropes and really enjoyed my time with CoP and plan on going back to the zone over winter break.

Super Meat Boy - I like Super Meat Boy...ALOT. I don't really know what to say about it other then you should probably play this game. I love how each level has a 'rhythm' to it where if you start moving at the right time you can bypass a lot of obstacles that would cause much trouble for someone being more careful. This is a fun game, you should play it.

Mafia II - Mafia II got a lot of shit when it came out, people complaining about the city, the story, the driving, the shooting, the loading sequence, the reloading animation, the look of the pedestrians, the lack of a ride able circus wheel that you could use to crush enemy mobsters; anything they could think of they complained Mafia either did it or didn't do it. I loved Mafia II, and every aspect about it. Joe is by far my personal "character of the year" he is absolutely great and seems believable to me for some reason even though he is doing unbelievable stuff. Vito is also great, he is a guy who gets mixed up in the mob and tries his damnedest to fix everything he messed up but to no avail. I suppose people must have had very high expectations going into Mafia II and me on the opposite end, but I had the time of my goddamn life playing this totally rad video game.

Edited by K-bohls!
straight up forgot Mafia II

There is no game in particular that blew me away this year. But I thoroughly enjoyed

• Mass Effect 2
  • R.U.S.E
  • Sid Meier's Civilization V
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

I'm still unable to rate the following games due lack of playtime:

• Amnesia: The Dark Descent (not played at all yet)
  • Sam & Max Season 3 (stuck at first half of Episode 2)
  • Super Meat Boy (only 2h played so far)

-

GOTYs

3. Metro 2033 - I've said it once before but it bears repeating, this game is Half-Life 2, Cryostasis and all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games jammed together by crazy Ukranian mans.

I thoroughly disagree with your opinion. Focus on its gameplay mechanics and you'll discover a shitty game wrapped in a lush cover. The most disappointing game this year so far.

I thoroughly disagree with your opinion. Focus on its gameplay mechanics and you'll discover a shitty game wrapped in a lush cover. The most disappointing game this year so far.

I disagree, there was nothing wrong with it as far as i'm concerned. From immersion of the gas mask to the awesome oddity of the light pump and objective list lighter I loved all of it.

Though I love Starcraft II, Civ V, Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption dearly, for me there is nothing else in my heart.

My Game of Life: Minecraft :hypnotoad:

Side Note: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX deserves a special place for reminding me how awesome Pac-Man was

Edited by jennoa

Possibly Red Dead Redemption, simply because it's the only game I think I totally played to 100% completion all year. (I could be wrong.) But looking at what Vimes said, it seems I should have played Limbo...

Games NOT played this year:

Sam and Max: Season 3

DeathSpank

Puzzle Agent

Limbo

and lots more!

Deathspank is the GOTY for me this year. Just a really solid and fun game to play and it's great to see that Ron Gilbert is back. You clearly see his influence in the making of this game, the dialogue is gold.

I haven't played the second part yet so this is only regarding the first one.

Runner up came actually in 2009, but I got to play it this year in autumn and winter time. Maybe the best modern co-op game ever made. That is of course New Super Mario Bros Wii.

EDIT: the rest of this post are just theoretic rambling about games that I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY PLAYED YET.

I am pretty sure that if I actually would have time to play Super Meat Boy this year, it would become a strong GOTY possibility. Cave Story Wiiware version would've been another also.

Sidenote: if if if Limbo would've been released as a PC game like it originally was supposed to(?) then that would've very highly likely been one contender for my GOTY as well.

Edited by Kolzig

Yes, well I'm just mentioning some theoretical games that would've most likely ended up on my GOTY list as I don't play that many games, even though I have ended up buying quite many recently... ;(

In no particular order, I think all of these games are exceptional and deserve to be played regardless of your tastes.

A relatively good year for games, although the shit is also piling up, if you want to take a peek.

Limbo (finished)

Red Dead Redemption (about halfway through it I think)

Minecraft (I hate that I will never finish this damn crack...)

Super Meat Boy (Never completed the last level of Rapture, as for some reason I have to drink hard liquor while playing this. It doesn't help)

The Devil's Playhouse(finished. Astoundingly good. Jake's touch I believe has helped Telltale pull adventure games into this millenium. =) )

Deathspank(A fine and long awaited return for Messers Gilbert and Kauzlaric)

The shit I will never play:

Anything by Activision

Call of Pripyat : The best S.T.A.L.K.E.R game thus far.

Amnesia : I screamed out loud like a baby and loved it.

The Devil's Playhouse : Telltale just keep on iterating the adventure game closer and closer to perfection.

My goatie this year has to be Mass Effect 2. No other game grabbed me by the balls and made me play 48h straight. To me, that's the sign of an excellent game.

2010 was good. 2011 will be fucking awesome.

My goatie this year has to be Mass Effect 2. No other game grabbed me by the balls and made me play 48h straight. To me, that's the sign of an excellent game.

2010 was good. 2011 will be fucking awesome.

You played for 48 hours straight?! :eek:

I wish I could say Metro 2033 and Fallout: New Vegas but I haven't played them yet!

I really liked Alan Wake, I played a ton of Starcraft 2, and Red Dead Redemption was amazing.

Best game of 2010 for me though, has to be Mass Effect 2.

Gah! In my own signature!

I can't give it the best of 2010, but Enslaved was really fantastic. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

After much thought (you can tell because it's almost March) I think I've settled on my goty. It's a weird one, but the more I think about it the less I can deny it. My goty.cx of 2010 is Just Cause 2.

I know there were far better games released in 2010, but I was dicking around a couple of days ago in the world, working my way towards 50% completion (long after having finished the campaign) and came to the realization that I have put 8 hours into the game after having seen the credits. I can't think of a single other game which I have completed and still put enough time to finish a game in on top of that. Well, I can, but this is a SINGLE PLAYER ONLY game. This is fucking ridiculous. And I'm still having fun. I can think of more worthwhile games. I can think of more important games. I can think of more interesting games. Thing is, I'm not still playing them. I'm still playing Just Cause 2, after it was released in March, after 36 hours, and after finishing the game at 28. I'm still having fun. Just Cause 2 is my game of 2010.