Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

World of Poo

Finally got around to playing this now I got my Humble Indie Game Bundle Steam Code Thing. I hate this game so much... but I can't stop playing it.

I think maybe I love it... even though it drives me crazy.

What's there to hate? Simple physics-based game mechanics, good music/sounds, cool graphic aesthetic, fun gameplay? 4/5!

WARNING: It is impossible to play some World of Goo levels on a MacBook Trackpad.

I also bought the game during the Steam sale (in a five-game bundle with only two Mac games—and I already bought VVVVVV previously!) and have been playing it in bed.

I guess I'd better bring a mousing device into bed with me, too. And a flat surface.

What's there to hate? Simple physics-based game mechanics, good music/sounds, cool graphic aesthetic, fun gameplay? 4/5!

It's my own complete inability to play the game with any skill... Especially getting the "OCD" awards. It's too fiddly, and I'm too crap... but I can't stop playing it.

My advice would be to ignore the OCD awards if they frustrate you. As I recall, some (most) of them were absolute insane and I think I only got one or two of them by accident. The levels in World of Goo are surprisingly varied and even if you are struggling with some of the earlier levels, it doesn't mean that all the later ones will rape you through a goo hole (some might though). It's just not worth it to spoil your fun trying to get the OCDs before finishing the game. On the other hand, if you like that sort of thing, then why not.

Yikes I need to get around to playing this some day, but hearing about OCD awards makes me sad because I will still be compulsive about getting them.

Unless... well I have the boxed version. Are these awards only on Steam? Then I just skip them if so!

Nope, they are part of the game, but very not-in-your-face. If I remember correctly the game doesn't actually present you the challenge neither before nor after the level.

I played the Humble Bundle version of the game so I did not get any "awards". At this point I was almost expecting some type of achievement system in the game but was pleasantly surprised with the absence. I cannot speak to that part of it, but I can speak to the part where it being a genuinely good game.

I think it bridges that gap for me, the gap between adventure games and puzzle games. I'm terrible at adventure games, but maybe a little better at puzzle games, so I was able to complete it without any hints/FAQs. I can't say the same for ANY adventure games I have tried so far. Admittedly, I am getting in the genre a little late in my life.

It would be cool if I could unlock the game in Steam somehow. I bought it directly from the developers and also as Wiiware.

Did not buy the Humble Bundle as I already had all the most interesting ones bought earlier.

One of the best indie games around. I need to invest some time soon to Fluidity, which I hope to be as good as World of Goo.

Had this for c when came out, loved it, but didn't finish it. They've now released it for the ipad, and it is a game that totally lends itself to multi-point touch. Shall finish it this time around I think.