Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Steam Trezer Hunt

This might be my hippy gland acting up, but I have a vague problem with the treasure hunt.

Remember when achievements were a sacred trust? When marketers didn't invent them on the spot to sell games? Me either, but that would be rad.

On a unrelated note I only have only one. Completely unrelated.

Edited by Cult of Jared

I have the Steam basic use ones, despite owning a few of the games they've done so far.

I just don't care enough, because I know my chances are very close to resembling nil.

Doing the math, I should have 6. None of them have registered though. Do you need to fire up the game on that day to get the achievement to "count." All the ones that I have I got before the treasure hunt started, so I'm wondering if that's why they aren't registered.

Doing the math, I should have 6. None of them have registered though. Do you need to fire up the game on that day to get the achievement to "count." All the ones that I have I got before the treasure hunt started, so I'm wondering if that's why they aren't registered.

No, mine were already set before I'd even noticed it. Are you sure you're logged in on the website itself? And if you are, do you have 10+ items on your wishlist?

This kind of sickens me. It's a sale in a Skinner box :/

Never have so many done so much to render the word "achievement" meaningless.

Is it really doling out achievements for buying and just playing games?

But hats...

No, mine were already set before I'd even noticed it. Are you sure you're logged in on the website itself? And if you are, do you have 10+ items on your wishlist?

Yup, I do. I haven't logged onto the website, just my profile on the Steam client. Do I need to log on with them?

They're not cheesemints. They're just "goals" and if you do at least ten of them, you have a chance of winning 100 games if you're the one name drawn out of the metaphorical hat.

The only thing you "get" out of this other than a chance at freebies is a TF2 hat. I'm annoyed that I won't get the "best" hat because I can't afford to just buy games willy-nilly (and actually I have wanted/owned every game so far, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of reason for me to get them). I certainly would have enjoyed this more if they either lowered the requirements for "BEST HAT" or if they tailored the goals to each individual's collection, but what're you gonna do.

It's a promotion to a) get people to buy more games and B) get people to use more of Steam's features (avatar, friends, etc.).

Do you get angry when brick and mortar has sales and gives out freebies to people who buy more than just one item? U: I know it's not a perfect analogy, but it's essentially the same idea.

Not really. You get achievements for, well, achieving things within certain Steam games. If you don't own the game, you have the opportunity of buying it if you want to (obviously), or just waiting for a different set of challenges in a few days time.

You don't get achievements for just buying games (the closest was an achievement for playing a demo). So far all but one of my "achievements" have been from games I already owned... I did buy AaaAAaaA! because it was £1.75 and I enjoyed the demo. Then I got the score required for that particular achievement.

Yup, I do. I haven't logged onto the website, just my profile on the Steam client. Do I need to log on with them?

Yes. You just use your Steam username and password to log into the Steam website...

I wish I had waited for the sneak peak objective to become a gimme. I almost bit my tongue off watching Brink and Homefront videos because they are so very terrible.

I'm sort of doing it as long as it doesn't cost me money :P I've managed to get 5 so far, but I really doubt I'm gonna get to 10 before the 20th unless the next 8 set of goals are really easy...

Am really tempted to get the metro 2033, or Beat hazard for 1.75 EUR even though I have no idea what it is.

I wish I had waited for the sneak peak objective to become a gimme. I almost bit my tongue off watching Brink and Homefront videos because they are so very terrible.

Brink gameplay-wise actually looks pretty awesome. RPS did a bit of a preview a while back that was quite optimistic. Homefront...oh man. "This game is really different and unique because it's Battlefield."

Well you don't have to watch them all the way through, it seems :tup:

You could always leave them playing while you do something else.

You don't get achievements for just buying games

Well, phew. Because that would be bad for both people and game design :tup:

I have 8 without having done anything. I'm the best at games!

I have 10 and all I really did was watch trailers and do the Shatter(already owned it) goal, which was hard as hell.

I don't have a problem with this. Featured games are heavily reduced in price--you don't have to treat it as anything other than just yet another Steam sale. Even if you have no interest in participating, the games are still discounted. If you don't want them, don't buy them. If anything, this is encouraging people to actually play the games they get in their Steam sale, rather than just letting them pile up in their library like everybody seems to say they always do.

As a side note, I've had roughly half of the daily goals as they went up, just by way of stuff I'd already done in games.

In one case I actually bought a game that was featured, simply because it was featured. There's a goal that's simply to play the demo or full game of Undergarden--as far as I've noticed, it's the only one that works that way, which makes sense because it's clearly the least-known game in the hunt so far. I just went ahead and bought it in good faith after seeing that others on my friends list had also done so (which is saying something, since you only need to play the free demo for the goal). It's not a mindblowing game but it's nice and relaxing, the kind of small project I like supporting, and I probably never would have even known it existed if not for this wacky promotion. If it were just part of yet another standard Steam sale, it would have sailed right under my radar.

Edit: Looks like I have 16/20 so far. I may try for a few I don't have, like the Mafia II and Fallout New Vegas ones, since I feel like I should have actually played those games anyway.

I have 10 and all I really did was watch trailers and do the Shatter(already owned it) goal, which was hard as hell.

Yeah that goal was a bummer. The story mode was excellent but repeating the unlocked bonus mode got tedious. I only kept at it because I couldn't let that achievement beat me...

I have to say, I'm finding myself tempted by the discounted Civ V. For someone who has never gotten into a Civ before (I tried 4, but got totally overwhelmed) is this a wise purchase?

Yeah, it is. It's a really great game. It's not as balanced all around as Civ IV, but I assume it will get there with an expansion or two, just like Civ IV did.