Snooglebum

Never playing Super Meat Boy again.

Well, that's another hospital visit under my belt. :shifty:

Oh man.

I'll catch up with you tomorrow, but have you considered a less hazardous hobby? :violin:

Yikes, you must have it pretty tough. I did a quick search and couldn't find relevant for "epilepsy gaming", time to make a niche blog about which games are safe?

Yikes, you must have it pretty tough. I did a quick search and couldn't find relevant for "epilepsy gaming", time to make a niche blog about which games are safe?

Probably actually want to make a list of games that AREN'T safe, that's way more relevant and would have far fewer entries. :tup:

My brother taught me everything about gaming when I was five, but he got some epilepsy problems like you did so he had to stop. I think he hasn't played games in the past 20 years at all... which is a huge shame as I would've really wanted to play some particular games with him ages ago already.

Were there some flashing effects between the stages or something like that or is the fast moving doing it for you?

Anyway, that really sucks. I hope that is not limiting your gaming habits too much.

Oh man.

I'll catch up with you tomorrow, but have you considered a less hazardous hobby? :violin:

I've been looking into alternate hobbies, for sure. The problem is, a lot of the stuff I'm good at and enjoy doing requires a computer to use, so that's gonna be interesting. Ah well, at least I'm an avid reader.
Probably actually want to make a list of games that AREN'T safe, that's way more relevant and would have far fewer entries. :tup:

spasticgamer.info

Well, I'd have to test each game to see wither I have a seizure or not, so perhaps that isn't the best of ideas.

Were there some flashing effects between the stages or something like that or is the fast moving doing it for you?

Anyway, that really sucks. I hope that is not limiting your gaming habits too much.

It was more the insane hyper-activeness of it then anything, there's just so much BLROGNOAHEGIHEGSIOHNKHG on the screen at all times.

I'm going to have to change the way I spend time, for sure. I need to limit my computer usage far more strictly then I was before, which is going to be difficult. :frusty:

I don't think I'll have to give up VIDGAMES entirely, but I'm certainly not going to be able to play them with anywhere near the same frequency I was before.

Much sigh. Thanks for the well-wishes, everbodies.

That would make less sense since there still could be games that aren't listed on the site yet that you could play erroneously. Saying which games are 100% safe would have no room for that error. But I digress...

I will most likely be getting this game on PC pretty soon.

Aww man : (

Sorry to hear this.

Well, I'd have to test each game to see wither I have a seizure or not, so perhaps that isn't the best of ideas.

Do trigger games vary from person to person, or is it likely that, say, SMB would be dangerous for all epilepsy sufferers? If so, a site where epileptic gamers could leave reports would probably be a good idea.

Eep. I thought it'd have been the "photo-sensitive" type, but I don't know much (or anything) more than that. Sucks, dude. Thankfully there are a lot of great slower games to play... Although I understand if you don't want to take that risk.

Bummer :(

I've been playing IloMilo on 360 lately. Maybe give that a try? Slow-paced, warm, fuzzy visuals, and really tricky puzzles. Sorry to hear about your seizure, dude. That freaking sucks.

Yikes, take it easy there, Snoogle. Also, there's tonnes and tonnes of slower-paced games. I mean, even stuff like Fable of Mass Effect should be fine, right? As long as it's not some hyperkinetic arcade game.

I missed this thread when it was posted but isn't this the second time this has happened this year, Snooglebum? ;( Hope you're okay.
Last time was July 2nd, so yeah, second time this year.

Actually, it wasn't just the game (although that certainly didn't help), it was that I had been staying up far later then I should be, and I got a very harsh lesson that I CAN NOT DO THAT.

*sigh*

Actually, I recently got Trials 2 as a gift from Thompson, which was nice of him. Man, that game loves its flashing lights.

Is there a build up to it, or is it an instant, out of nowhere thing? Like, can you play a game with a lot of lights for a while and quit before it gets too bad, or just suddenly have it happen?

Is there a build up to it, or is it an instant, out of nowhere thing? Like, can you play a game with a lot of lights for a while and quit before it gets too bad, or just suddenly have it happen?
The latter, unfortunately. It's kind of random.

Play Beat Hazard....wait, NO!!! That game gives seizures to people who never have them.

On a serious note, this thing really really sucks, especially if it happens right before the Holiday. Get better!

The latter, unfortunately. It's kind of random.

Scary stuff ;( I hope you find some kind of balance. :tup:

Are you having to stop playing games altogether now? Or just certain games? If it's the latter, I'm more than happy to discuss slow games, as I'm not a "twitchy" game lover, myself. In fact, I think a good chunk of us are adventure game lovers.

Coincidentally, the organizer of Glorious Trainwrecks just modded the Winfrotz text adventure game interpreter to add seizure-inducing color swapping and cheesy dance music to the IF classic Colossal Cave Adventure, in the vein of the XBLIG game Techno Kitten Adventure.

Do not play this, Snooglebum! http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/1533

Aw thats horrible... I hope you find a good replacement game or other fun thing so that you're not bored also.

If an adventure game had a flashy cutscene, might it still trigger a seizure?

I don't think there's many that do that anyway, though.

I think epilepsy is primarily caused by basically overloading the brain with stimulation, not necessarily visual — so a good dose of the Grim Fandango tree puzzle ought to send him straight back to the hospital.

I think epilepsy is primarily caused by basically overloading the brain with stimulation, not necessarily visual — so a good dose of the Grim Fandango tree puzzle ought to send him straight back to the hospital.
Correct, although I wouldn't know about the tree puzzle.
Coincidentally, the organizer of Glorious Trainwrecks just modded the Winfrotz text adventure game interpreter to add seizure-inducing color swapping and cheesy dance music to the IF classic Colossal Cave Adventure, in the vein of the XBLIG game Techno Kitten Adventure.

Do not play this, Snooglebum! http://www.glorioustrainwrecks.com/node/1533

I like this way this was phrased.

Don't play this! Ever! *Links*