miffy495

HELPS!

Hey folks. I decided recently that a replay of Grim Fandango would be appropriate, as it's been about 3 years since the last time I went through it. Unfortunately, the computer I'm trying to play it on is newer than that, and I'm having a couple of stability issues with my machine. It's a 32-bit Windows 7 laptop, and though the install and executable work fine, it has a tendency to lock up entirely and require a ctrl-alt-del to desktop every 5 minutes or so. I figured this place was as good as any for GF compatibility tips. Any advice on running this?

Fun fact: A search for "Grim Fandango" on this forum returns 220 results...

Actually, I've tried that already. It says my disk two doesn't contain Grim.exe, which is weird since the regular install worked fine.

I think you may just be screwed. Grim has always been broken for me - it would crash to desktop even back in the Windows 95 days.

This is one big game that the fine people at GoG should get their hands on and make future proof with some new coding.

I don't think GoG do the updating. They'd simply insist that Lucasarts get off their arse and fix the bugginess and pigs will fly before that happens.

I mean, they rereleased The Dig and Loom years ago. Whatever happened to their plan to release all their adventure games on Steam?

I mean, they rereleased The Dig and Loom years ago. Whatever happened to their plan to release all their adventure games on Steam?

The president got changed and now it's apparently back to the beginning of 2000's Lucasarts with "current market place realities and underlying economic considerations" blah blah blah.

Not sure if you've tried this already, Miffy, but have you tried putting the game in "software" mode? Sure, it'll look as ugly as sin, but it should be a lot more stable.

Also, I take it you've installed the official patch?

I wish someone would fix this game for modern machines/graphics cards :(

If you have Windows 7 Professional, you have the options for every compatibility mode under the sun; however, if it's just standard - I think there is still a Windows 95/98 mode? Have you tried any of those settings? You can also check off things like: Disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, disable display scaling.

Right click the .exe(s) and look for these settings under the "Compatibility" tab.

I would not trust Lucas Arts to fix anything. The Steam version of LOOM is super broken for me.