Grufff

Stacking

Double Fine's next game has been announced: Stacking , a third-person adventure puzzle game. It looks and sounds pretty fun. I wasn't sure about Costume Quest but I'll definitely be getting this one.

EDIT: There's an official new item for it on the Double Fine site now.

Edited by Grufff

Oh man. Sold.

Note every other developer: Be More Like Double Fine (Or At Least Their Art Designers).

That game is weird. So, you're a small Matryoshka doll and you "invade" larger Matryoshka dolls?

Now this looks promising! Really interesting concept. Who's the lead designer this time around?

Sounds like it might be good. Reminds me of Scrapland, which had a similar ability as I recall (didn't play it much though).

Damn. Yes. Buying immediately. No release date announced, as far as I can tell? The IGN thingy ways "spring," but that's a pretty big window.

Looks great! Costume Quest was a bit too long for its lack of depth, but enjoyable for the most part.

Looks cool. Definately more interest from me than Costume Quest.

Wow. This looks incredibly odd. Love the intentionally jerky animation. Shame it's not coming to PC.
Tim has stated that CQ will get a PC port if it sells well enough. Presumably the same should hold true for Stacking too.

Hey, this is looking great! I am sort of confused how it will play (I don't feel like reading the paragraphs around the video in that link at the moment), but this definitely seems more in tune with what Double Fine would do as opposed to Costume Quest.

At least on up front glimpses of art direction, animation, and weird concept at least.

Now this looks promising! Really interesting concept. Who's the lead designer this time around?

Lead designer is Lee Petty, the art director of Brütal Legend.

Sounds like it might be good. Reminds me of Scrapland, which had a similar ability as I recall (didn't play it much though).

Yes, in American McGee's Scrapland the main protagonist could "go in" to other robots and take their identity and abilities.

Looks cool. Definately more interest from me than Costume Quest.Tim has stated that CQ will get a PC port if it sells well enough. Presumably the same should hold true for Stacking too.

Well, I hope it does get a proper PC version at some point.

I would also be happy about a PC version of Brütal Legend, but I know that will never happen.

Fantastic. I was wary of Costume Quest too, the JRPG gameplay just doesn't interest me a whole lot. But this seems like a barrel of fun and exactly the quirky thing I'd like.

There's an official post about the game on the Double Fine site now (I've edit my original post to include it):

Stacking is a game about a young chimney sweep named Charlie Blackmore, and his quest to reunite his family after they’ve been forced into indentured servitude by an evil industrialist.

Still no sign of a proper release date yet though.

I actually didn't watch the trailer until now and I have to say this looks excellent!

Day one perch, when/if the PC release comes someday.

I like very much what they showed so far but I was surprised it's once again a costume/ability based game; I don't say it's going to be the same as Costume Quest but the coincidence is intriguing.

The changing of skins/costumes seems to be wholly more in the service of puzzles and cerebral challenges, rather than fighting. It's about the only thing the games have in common, it seems.

Yes, in American McGee's Scrapland the main protagonist could "go in" to other robots and take their identity and abilities.

NO! Bad Kolzig.

It's "American McGee presents Scrapland". It's not actually his creation.

Anyway, that game was quite nice, and under-appreciated.

NO! Bad Kolzig.

It's "American McGee presents Scrapland". It's not actually his creation.

Anyway, that game was quite nice, and under-appreciated.

Yeah that is true actually, he was the producer "or just helping the developers" in that one. My bad.

I tried to play and like that game a long time ago and I started it twice on different occasions from the beginning, but I lost interest in it. There's just something missing that would want me to go and finish it.

Gamasutra has something on Schafer and PC ports.

Also Jim Rossignol has his say about this.

Edited by Kolzig

Gamasutra has something on Schafer and PC ports.

Also Jim Rossignol has his say about this.

They should try crowdsourcing. Unless they just don't want to spend the time working on a port when they could use it for working on a new game.

Err, Tim Schafer described what a publishing contract was and people got angry and confused.:erm: