Thyroid

Recettear: An Item Shop's Sale

So has anyone been playing this? It's an RPG/jRPG game that pits you as that ever-constant presence in any fantasy world, the salesman. You play as a girl name Recette who needs to sell a certain number of items in a certain period (edit: of time) to pay-off her missing father's debts.

It's very amusing and seems very fun. I haven't played it myself, but I watched a friend of mine play a good chunk of it. He's really into it, and I can see why. The translators have done a fantastic job ("Yayifications," as Recette would say), and...well.

Takes forever to get going, though. Jeeeeesus, Japan really needs to get that when people turn on a game, they want a *game*, not 15 minutes of exposition.

At least check out the demo.

PS: Anyone know any other games with those cute 3D graphics? I like Recettear's a lot.

Edited by Kroms

So has anyone been playing this? It's an RPG/jRPG game that pits you as that ever-constant presence in any fantasy world, the salesman. You play as a girl name Recette who needs to sell a certain number of items in a certain period (edit: of time) to pay-off her missing father's debts.

It's very amusing and seems very fun. I haven't played it myself, but I watched a friend of mine play a good chunk of it. He's really into it, and I can see why. The translators have done a fantastic job ("Yayifications," as Recette would say), and...well.

Takes forever to get going, though. Jeeeeesus, Japan really needs to get that when people turn on a game, they want a *game*, not 15 minutes of exposition.

At least check out the demo.

PS: Anyone know any other games with those cute 3D graphics? I like Recettear's a lot.

I'm glad you started the thread. I haven't played this game but I'm really interested in giving it a shot. It might be a Christmas holiday game for me.

Wait... if the girl's name is Recette, what's with the extra "ar" in the title? is that explained in the game?

I'm kinda interested in this game, but I dont think I have time for another RPG in my life.

a certain period (edit: of time)

Thanks for that clarification. I would've misconstrued that for something else :mock:

Wait... if the girl's name is Recette, what's with the extra "ar" in the title? is that explained in the game?

Yeah.

And when I said "period of time", I meant that you had to beat the clock. I thought original "period" could be misinterpreted as "era", as in "the Renaissance", "Middle Ages", etc.

So what do you actually do in the game, i.e., what's the gameplay like?

So what do you actually do in the game, i.e., what's the gameplay like?

Try and sell enough items to world-saving RPG heroes as they venture out to meet their destinies. It's not as easy as it sounds. You need to find a good price, as to make a good profit so you can pay off the loan sharks. Sell too low, you don't make enough money and get an amusing game-over screen. Set a price too high, and people will refuse to buy and walk out of the store.

There's also a section where you hire an RPG hero to run around dungeons and collect things for you to sell. You sort of run around with him too. I haven't seen too much of that yet.

I personally saw around 30 minutes of gameplay, maybe 15 of which were those loooong unnecessary tutorials and intros that JRPGS love. Eurogamer have done a better job of explaining the game than I have in my current state of oh-my-LORD-get-off-the-internet-and-go-study.

Honestly, though, there is a demo on the Steam page, which I linked to in the first post. Try that.

I've played the living daylights out of this game, and thought it was an absolute crack-up.

Basically, as previously mentioned, you can either run around town buying items from various shops and then reselling them at absurdly inflated prices to your customers, or you can hire an adventurer and run through dungeons collecting things which you can then sell. The dialogue is pretty hilarious, too. The concept is really simple, but it's a lot of fun, both to truck around smacking cute monsters and to completely fleece people who just want to buy an apple. There are a lot of really long tutorials, but the dialogue helps them hurt less to sit through, and you can skip them if you want.

I'm also a huge sucker for cute, anime graphics, and there's plenty of that.

This game has destroyed me and I managed to drag SpeedyDesiato down with me. I've never been a fan or JRPGs or cutesy anime stuff but this game does enough to overcome my dislikes and be highly addictive.

The game is also NUTS. Buy it.

This game amuses me, because it is an obfuscated 'guess the number' game. Guessing correctly gives experience points, which is the truly exciting part. Next up is a game that offers bonus points for committing minor acts of terrorism.

Snark aside, this game is rad. Looking forward to spending more time with it after I complete minecraft.

I hate this game so much.

I'll bite. What do you hate?

I think I'll probably be getting this due to hype here and gameplay videos.

Snark aside, this game is rad. Looking forward to spending more time with it after I complete minecraft.

What? Can you actually complete Minecraft? I'm assuming you mean the single-player stuff, but I thought there wasn't an ending? Sorry, I don't know much about the single-player.

I think I'll probably be getting this due to hype here and gameplay videos.[/Quote]

If you enjoy the demo, you will be happy with the full game. Try it.

What? Can you actually complete Minecraft?

You can't complete Minecraft. Saying I'll play more Recettear after I complete Minecraft is my way of letting Recettear down gently. Procedurally generated explorable spaces and the ability to place signs means I will never play "other games" again.

so I finished this game. By "finished" I mean I managed to pay off the debt and unlocked additional game modes which should've been available from the start (in my opinion).

Pretty enjoyable game, although I absolutely hated the presentation and the UI. This game also employs the dead rising trick where if you fail, you start the game from the beginning but with all your stats intact. I guess you're supposed to keep failing over and over until eventually the game becomes easy enough to beat it? I managed to do it in the first go, but holy hell, was it hard! It seems like the type of game that would appeal to casual players, but there's nothing casual about its difficulty, especially the dungeon sections.

Much of the reason I remember this game fondly is that different characters sound like different characters. In most games, all people sound like a twenty-something game designer trying to impress a lady. In this game, people have different accents, vocabularies, and speech patterns. Exciting!

It also made me realize how hungry I am for games with competent story.

Just finished it. I liked it a lot, but I'm a bit confused...

was everything up to the credits a teaser? I know there's an endless mode and other modes now, but I could only go to one dungeon besides the trial hall, met only Louie of the adventurers and got only half of the Merchant levels, and missed a lot of other stuff. I failed the loan payments 2 times otherwise I would have gotten to see even less, I think.

i played through it 3-4 times and you can actually see most of the game in one playthrough if you know what you're doing/get lucky. there's actually some stuff i haven't even seen yet

Still playing it. The endless mode is getting boring, but I want to find all items dammit! Steam says I've played 22 hours, but it feels like more. Still haven't tried the other modes.

If anybody is interested, another game by the same company is being released on Steam: Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters

Seems like it's a lot more action focused, a more typical JRPG.

Definitely looks interesting, though I'm not sure if I can stick that graphic style again. I didn't mind it with Reccetear, but I'm probably going to focus my recently made retro game interest on Breath of Death VII for a while.

If anybody is interested, another game by the same company is being released on Steam: Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters

Seems like it's a lot more action focused, a more typical JRPG.

Hmm... since I found the dungeon crawling to be a really boring part of Recettear, I'm not interested.

Chantelise was apparently an earlier game from the same developer as Recettear. I hear it's quite enjoyable, but much more of a straightforward action RPG.

Incredibly late to the party on this, but i've been playing Recettear.

I like this game.

Recette throwing up her arms and yelling excitedly whenever you place an item out for sale is very silly, there is some pretty irresistable charm here.

I don't think it's an especially amazing game and the act of manning the shop is a rote number guessing game, but there's enough interesting management going on around all of that to keep it interesting, there's a lot of smart little interactions between its systems. Trying to get adventurers to buy your best gear so you don't have to waste limited inventory space outfitting them with loaned gear is a particularly neat touch, i thought. (The actual dungeon crawling is not great, but the variety the different characters bring to it elevates it somewhat. It still feels pretty clunky, a lot of ambiguous hitboxes and sluggish control.)

Still, i think it's better than its individual pieces, it's very clever, it's very cute. It ends up being a pretty memorable little thing, i think. I'm having a good deal of fun with this game, i'm glad i finally got around to checking it out.

I bought this on a super cheap sale at some point and got about two hours in. I liked it but, unlike the others that commented, the uber-cute started getting on my nerves after a while. Now that I know more what I'm in for, maybe I'll take another crack at it.

Admittedly you do have to be receptive to the type of charm the game has, but the good news is if that you are then you're getting your money's worth. I'm not sure how else to add to describing the game aside from it being neat. There's a goal and objectives to meet or else you fail, but the way the whole thing is presented doesn't make it stressful or play on my emotions.