ThunderPeel2001

Rock Band 3

this sucks. I've been playing the game non-stop and think it's superb.

Could be a number of reasons:

Greater expense.

They didn't leave it long enough between the last game and this one (Imagine the excitement and hype if it had been five years since Rock Band 2 or something)

People sick of storing huge peripherals.

People waiting for Christmas.

As I recall, DJ Hero had the same problem.

People could be waiting for the Fender guitar as well. It's probably a small population, but IMO there's absolutely no point at all in buying the Mad Catz piece of shit. Also, the setlist is kinda boring.

Okay, I am sort of glad and sad that this bubble is bursting.

It is no secret that I have never liked these types of games so I like the idea of this dying down. However, it is a shame that no one saw this coming and treated it as the niche product it is becoming.

The reason, in my mind, is that Guitar Hero and Rock Band was the new toy. Like the Wii Remote and the Kinect it captures the general public's imagination but like the Rubik's cube, Bean bags, and Sandra Bullock, people have become bored with it and moved on. Rock Band still has its market but that market is tiny.

I'm very much interested in RB3 and so is my wife, but we are still in the middle of RB2 career mode for Wii and we haven't even played that in a while so it might take quite long before we'll get RB3.

Funny, Rock Band 3 actually interested me a lot more than recent expressions of the genre because of the empahsis on learning a real instrument (keyboard, in my case).

People could be waiting for the Fender guitar as well.

Ah, indeed.

It's probably a small population, but IMO there's absolutely no point at all in buying the Mad Catz piece of shit.

I was impressed at the amount of switches they could cram into it, but yes, it's a bit tacky. It's like a toy trying really hard to be a real guitar.

Funny, Rock Band 3 actually interested me a lot more than recent expressions of the genre because of the empahsis on learning a real instrument (keyboard, in my case).

Yeah, this really interests me too. Rock Band 3 is "Yes, but not yet" for me.

Edited by Nachimir

I'm waiting for the keyboard, personally. I can't find on in Canada yet. As soon as I can get one, and provided I have the funds free, I'll be buying it.

I've got the first taste of Rock Band 3, the Wii version.

The Wii version is developed by other guys than the earlier RB games, all earlier were made by Pi Studios and this one by US developer Backbone Entertainment.

One really cool thing that I noticed was that it remembers what songs I have downloaded from the RB song store in RB2, that was great! At least their are showing some effort when making the Wii version.

I actually realized a really simple fix that Harmonix/Pi Studios/Backbone should've done with the Wii versions. As I understand, Xbox and Playstation versions of RB2 and RB3 you can get the songs from the previous games to the new version for free by some method because of the harddrive? In Wii this is not possible, but what they should've done is check if you have the save file in your Wii system for RB1/the track packs/RB2 and if you have, then it would let you access to freely download all the old games songs for free from the RB song store. Shame that was not done. The space is not an issue with modern SDHC memory cards.

Also the song store has way more support than RB2 ever had at least in Europe for Wii. There's 1500 songs to dl/purchase, I guess the total amount for other consoles is 2000 already? My RB2 has since launch been showing around 200 songs only even though that was promised to quickly rise.

Since yesterday I've decided to get RockBand 3 with the keyboard. I've researched it and found such overwhelming praise and evidence that you could actually take your first few steps on learning the keyboard/piano with this game, that the investment seems quite worth it.

I hope I can find it in stores still :)

Sorry to harp on about this, but I'm so excited. I've ordered the game + keyboard at a local gameshoppe and it's coming in on Friday. I checked around and noticed that in a lot of places the game was sold out and no longer orderable (at least, not the keyboard bundle). So to get it still is a relief.

It's 140 Euro tokens, so that's quite an investment. I hope it pays off in learning me the basics of keyboard/piano play.

harp away. I'm still quite active with this game. My gf loves the keyboard so we've played the 65 or so songs that i have with key support a bunch. I don't know how the rock band store works internationally but if it's available I heartily recommend the doors pack. Every song has a keyboard solo and it's very easy to hear the notes in the songs. With some of the songs on disc, the keyboard parts are not at the forefront so they can seem kind of random and with some songs there are rather long breaks that you have to sit through, but every doors song is a tour-de-force on the keys and very very fun to play.

Now this would be quite something.

But the price is also quite something, but it is the real guitar after all.

Would love to own the keyboard and the RB3 drums for this, but the drums are not sold in Finland and there's no way I'm getting those from eBay.

Now this would be quite something.

But the price is also quite something, but it is the real guitar after all.

Would love to own the keyboard and the RB3 drums for this, but the drums are not sold in Finland and there's no way I'm getting those from eBay.

Would love to own that, but considering I seem to have hit a limit with my fake guitaring skills, I wonder if I'd have the same problem with a real guitar.... probably! :(

It's kinda unclear to me if enough people own the game to answer this question, but I figured I'd fire away anyhow. Will I have to re-import tracks from RB1, Lego Rock Band, and RB Track Pack 2 when buying RB3 if I already did it with RB2? Or will that stuff just be automagically available in RB3 when I stick it in?

Was just thinking of trading away those games as I'm trying to save up some cash for a new phone, but I don't want to really bother if I'm not futureproofed for my inevitable RB3 purchase when I'm jonesing for music games again.

Automagic. Although you'll need to import your Rock Band 2 songs separately, everything you already imported to RB2 remains good for 3. When I booted up 3 for the first time, all my RB1 songs were there, I just had to go enter the code for 2 and download all that business.

EDIT: I can only actually confirm this for RB1 though, as I don't have the others.

My Lego Rock Band tracks (which I imported into Rock Band 2 explicitly so I could play Ghostbusters) automagically turned up in Rock Band 3 when I first booted it up.

Speaking of

, there was a second David Bowie pack for Rock Band out earlier this year. Wanted to belt out "Ziggy Stardust," so I picked it up without realizing that Harmonix had dropped backwards compatibility for their new DLC. Even though this track in particular has charts for all of the original instruments, I still can't play it in RB2. :fart:

Looks like they also dropped Rock Band Network from RB2 during the transition. I can still play my old purchased RBN songs, but I can't see the RBN shop from within Rock Band 2.

Not sure when all of this went into place, since I haven't played Rock Band in ages, but it still kinda sucks that they're either adding arbitrary restrictions in a clumsy attempt to upsell RB3, or that they just don't think it's worth the man-hours to roll the new chart parser into RB2 if it's a matter of a changed note chart format.

Any new news about the real RB guitar? Would be sweet to test that out.

Best Buy pages are still saying that it's backordered.

So I got the Rock Band 3 and keyboard controller thing in the mail today, and holy god damn it pro drums is awesome. I'm using the old ION drum rocker thing or whatever it's called, so it only has the two cymbals, but it's still a million times better when those are separate things. It's so fun I literally play until my arms give out.