Tanukitsune

I am disappoint with the internet... Sprite spite!

Unless you've been living under a rock, EVERY GAME SITE EVER posted about some guy who made Mega Man sprites look like other game characters and... became the king of the internet and became the most popular person ever?! :eek:

Hmm, am I in the bizarro world? Didn't we decide this was lame and lazy back in 2000 when the first sprite comics appeared?

I'm upset at the whole internet, specially the gamers, who don't seem to know a thing about the 8-bit art style they claim to love so much... The NES pallete only has 56 colors dammit!

Seriously, I feel like someone has become the King of the Internet for the equivalent of MSPaint doodles...

I'm not mad at the guy who made the, it might have actually take him SOME effort if he's never done this kind of work before, but seriously.... HE EVEN GOT INTERVIEWED!

Why am I not linking to anything? Not only has it been on every site ever, but...

The guy who made this is tracking every mention of him... I only linked to a site that mentioned him and he tracked me on Twitter! He was nice, but still, THAT'S CREEPY!

I'm tempted to make my own 200 or maybe even more Mega Man sprites based on other games, but I have the feeling it would be douchy move, even though I'd be doing it to show the internet, not him how ridiculous you are for getting excited about this, I could show you 1000 more deserving video game related fanart! :(

Mega Man had 5? Light blue, dark blue, black, white and skin tone?:erm:

mega man, like a lot of sprites, was a composite of several 16x16 sprites. i guess in theory each one could have 4 separate colors, falling within whatever maximum bounds the system allowed? i think default was 16 for the whole screen but developers did some crazy tricks with code to bypass that.

i mean i guess i'm not against this in spirit but pixel art =/= nes sprites.

it's kind of like the divide between people who make chiptunes with actual or emulated nes/gameboy hardware and those who use somewhat similar square/triangle/noise waves. it's way more interesting to me to see people work within the boundaries of the original hardware.

Fiiiineee.... Every game site ever that shows off fanart? Now are you happy? :shifty:

mega man, like a lot of sprites, was a composite of several 16x16 sprites. i guess in theory each one could have 4 separate colors, falling within whatever maximum bounds the system allowed? i think default was 16 for the whole screen but developers did some crazy tricks with code to bypass that.

i mean i guess i'm not against this in spirit but pixel art =/= nes sprites.

it's kind of like the divide between people who make chiptunes with actual or emulated nes/gameboy hardware and those who use somewhat similar square/triangle/noise waves. it's way more interesting to me to see people work within the boundaries of the original hardware.

Oh, I never knew that... Well, I knew older games could only have a limited number of colors per sprite, but I never knew they actually made characters out of several sprites to get more colors!

Ehm.. I subscribe to various gaming side feeds and of those only Kotaku and Joystiq seem to have mentioned the guy. Furthermore, I missed both of those initially and only found them by searching.

I think that is pretty cool, however. The fact that 10 thousand (or 1 million or whatever) other Internet users might think it's pretty cool as well, doesn't make it overrated. I'm sure you can understand why some people would enjoy this sort of thing? Then why would it somehow diminish in value when lots of people enjoyed it?

Furthermore, the fact that this has been posted on every game site ever some websites, doesn't make all those 1000 fanarts you think more deserving of people's attention any less valuable. People can get excited about a new thing even if it isn't the best thing in the world. I'm pretty sure he has spent enough time making those sprites to deserve his 15 minutes of fame (which is all he's getting, I'm sure). Certainly more than most of the accidental Youtube hits out there. I really don't think he has become the king of the Internet in anyone's eyes, like you are suggesting, or that people have gone crazy over this piece of fanart. To be honest (and sorry for saying this), I really don't even think you are actually nearly as enraged about this as you come across in your post - one just has to be more 'edgy' on the Internet.

I'm not sure how many sites he was one, but within a few hours I saw SEVERAL sites link to him and when I was at my boiling point I saw the bloody interview....

NOBODY HAS GOTTEN INTERVIEWED OVER FANART BEFORE! :frusty:

I might not be enraged now, but when this happened I was fuming! Now... I'm just pissed... :shifty:

Maybe the fact the all the sites I saw linked to him did it the same day, or the same afternoon, to be more exact is the reason I got so angry, it's like the cliché you see in movies when somebody tries to get away from hearing something and switching the TV channel only to see every other channel is talking about it too...

A part of me is actually tempted to do 500 Mega Man sprites just to show the world how easy it is, but I'm also hoping this will all be forgotten in an instant, like everything on the internet... :blink:

A part of me is actually tempted to do 500 Mega Man sprites just to show the world how easy it is

Please do! :yep:

A part of my soul would die if I actually became popular out of this...

Another part of me really wants to do the challenge...:erm:

Eh, all sorts of lame things become well-known on the web for all sorts of lame reasons. You can't seriously have contempt for a guy who just happened to make something loads of people like. I'm sure loads of developers and have publishers have similar feelings towards someone like the now-a-millionaire Minecraft author!

Incidentally this particular phenomenon completely passed me by and this is the first I've heard of it. :fart:

http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/2010/10/to-his-friend-on-subject-of-ironman-2.html

http://students.ou.edu/M/Eric.C.Mai-1/DE.htm

There is a point in one's life when one cares about selling out and not selling out. One worries whether or not wearing a certain shirt means that they are behind the curve or ahead of it, or that having certain music in one's collection means that they are impressive, or unimpressive.

Thankfully, for some, this all passes. I am here to tell you that I have, a few years ago, found my way out of that thicket of comparison and relentless suspicion and judgment. And it is a nice feeling. Because, in the end, no one will ever give a shit who has kept shit 'real'

I'm not sure how many sites he was on, but within a few hours I saw SEVERAL sites link to him and when I was at my boiling point I saw the bloody interview....

The blog with the interview not only has the sprites incorporated in its design, but is also the site most sourced by other blogs. The interview came first* as publicity for both the spriter and that blog, spread to several other small blogs, and then to Kotaku and outward.

* At least in this wave of publicity. Looks like he got some fame on Reddit a month ago, which reinforced itself through taking requests.

Maybe the fact the all the sites I saw linked to him did it the same day, or the same afternoon

It's the online games journalism equivalent of a kitten stuck in tree story. Writes itself. Mostly inoffensive. Touches gamers in their nostalgia glands**. Gives the impression of caring about the little guy and their fans. Big blogs scoop/steal stories from each other all the time to appear on equal footing. Nothing to get worked up over.

**I recognize that gaming character! I liked that game and am glad to see it getting recognition. Playing that game was time well spent. Etc.

Copying from other gamer sites is what most sites do anyway, right?

I'm still tempted to do the 500 thing, but then again, he did do these at work, something I cannot do...

It took him two months to make 200 characters, but he did them in his 9-5 desk job while answering phones, I'd have to do it AFTER my job is over... :blink:

Did I say he was interviewed more than once?

I also don't remember saying it sucked, I just said it's not as awesome as all the sites say it is?

I also don't remember saying it sucked, I just said it's not as awesome as all the sites say it is?

Meh.. There actually isn't much praise in the ones I saw (namely, Kotaku and Joystiq).

Pretty sure Patrick Fitzsimmons was interviewed over his Star Wars Unreal mod. That was a pretty special case though, given that he was basically justifying it as sophisticated fan art rather than copyright infringement.

Oh, here we go: http://greywardens.com/2010/03/dragon-age-fan-art-interview/

There's a pretty high chance that if not Henry Jenkins himself, then at least his students have interviewed people about fanart too.

Once more:

This means it shouldn't have happened? Or should never happen again?

There is the world, and there are your personal tastes. You seem to desire that forces in the world (random people, their tastes, intentions, artistic and journalistic output) should operate in harmony with your tastes.

Whenever they do, it will be a coincidence. I suggest: Find stuff you like, just ignore the stuff you don't unless it's hurting people.

Edited by Nachimir

Did I say he was interviewed more than once?

I feel your frustrations. I think you should start making some sprites, already.

I think maybe you should just let it go... but I would also like 500 sprites.

Yeah, but that Dragon Age is actually awesome and done from scratch...

Dude, you know what? .... SCREW IT! I don't care what people think... I'm going to doing my own Mega Man sprites!

The guy actually contact me on Twitter and said he would actually like to see me do it...

And I'll use the actual NES pallete, only 56 colors! But I'm not going to limit myself to only 4 colors per sprite, that would make things too complex... besides, I could always say it's made of out more than one sprite?:mock:

Hmm, how about a Tumblr blog?

*goes off to make some sprites*:dopefish:

EDIT: This is easier than I thought! I'll just go down my collection one by one! XD

post-276-13375603316148_thumb.png

post-276-13375603316187_thumb.png

post-276-13375603316215_thumb.png

Edited by Tanukitsune