Roderick

Rumor confirmed: Uwe Boll is in fact Adolf Hitler

This news story is too weird and absurd not to post: http://kotaku.com/5686247/vampire-nazis-a-fat-lady-uwe-boll-oh-my

Uwe Boll is not only making a horrible-looking (second) sequel to the atrocious (I sat through it) Bloodrayne, he's also making a spoof on his own movie called Blubberella, featuring a fat lady in the role of the half-vampire and Boll himself as Hitler.

This is... insanely incomprehensible. I don't even know how to feel about this.

Edited by Rodi

This guy is awful. No taste. And since people have been telling him this for ages, he has to be either really delusional or really just determined to piss people off out of spite.

Oh wow.. I thought the trailer below the description: "This isn't the only World War II film Boll is working on. He recently finished Auschwitz. According to Boll, "I made the movie because there is not one movie made what shows the Holocaust really was — a killing factory." was actually for that movie. Powerful effect.

But yeah... horrible horrible stuff.

I sat through an hour long panel with him, which was basically him lecturing an ever-diminishing crowd. It was basically one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed. He explained why Postal was a great game ("you can kill the children and then piss on the children"), and waxed ecstatic about how Kristianna Loken was the best actress he'd ever worked with while the actress from Bloodrayne 2 squirmed uncomfortably behind him. There was a guy on stage who was there to supposedly be leading the panel who asked about one question before Uwe's tirade.

I can never hate Boll now. The more critics pan him, the more determined he is to piss them off and show them his genius. As far as I could tell, dude was 100% serious, and if he wasn't, then he's easily the greatest living deadpan artist and I respect him either way.

How unhappy do you have to be in life to hate something that is inexorably horrible without any sense of irony? People who consciously make terrible art to be cute or clever are the real assholes. Boll can make all the delusional movies he wants, imo.

Getting mad about Uwe Boll sucking at making movies is about as pointless as getting mad at the ocean for being wet.

This guy is awful. No taste. And since people have been telling him this for ages, he has to be either really delusional or really just determined to piss people off out of spite.

Or maybe he's just decided not to let what a random people say keep him from doing what he wants to do. I kind of admire his commitment to keep making movie after movie in the face of some of the most intense criticism I've ever seen.

Did nobody watch the trailer from his latest film I posted at the top of this thread? I'm keen to hear opinions on it. He's currently in the news complaining that it's not getting the attention it deserves.

He's currently in the news complaining that it's not getting the attention it deserves.

What news are you talking about, exactly? I think it's amazing how apparently committed he is to his work and I like that. His movies are probably shit, but he seems to have balls, which is impressive...so many directors in his position seem to toe the line...I'm thinking of Brett Ratner etc...There's no way for me to know whether he's right or wrong...so all I can do is admire his tenacity.

What news are you talking about, exactly? I think it's amazing how apparently committed he is to his work and I like that. His movies are probably shit, but he seems to have balls, which is impressive...so many directors in his position seem to toe the line...I'm thinking of Brett Ratner etc...There's no way for me to know whether he's right or wrong...so all I can do is admire his tenacity.

This:

Director Boll Attacks Hollywood Stars For Snubbing His Darfur Film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1236471/news#ni5371125

I respect a director who is willing to defend his work in the face of criticism. In fact, I would argue that this is a necessity for any artist. I simply don't respect Uwe Boll's approach to art.

Obviously, all commercial filmmakers have to reconcile the financial and artistic aspects of their work, and hearing Uwe talk about his films, I get the impression that he falls much more on the commerce side of the process.

Also, I legitimately believe that his films aren't getting the reactions he wants them to. In his interviews, he seems to seriously think that what he is producing should be widely acclaimed. The rejection he faces isn't part of the artwork since he didn't intend for it to be.

And he doesn't know how to defend his art in the way that he should be defending it. One artist rolled up a piece of his shit and placed it on a pedestal. Obviously, it's something that is bound to inspire contempt and criticism. And I respect the guts it takes to make that kind of artistic statement. But the moment that artist starts saying something like: "I hate all those retards who think my work is stupid. My piece is better than that fucking piece of shit Guernica"... Respect. Gone.

I think he's a bloody nutter. That's about it for me.

(Though the wizard duel in "In The Name of The King" is absolutely awesome.)

Obviously, all commercial filmmakers have to reconcile the financial and artistic aspects of their work, and hearing Uwe talk about his films, I get the impression that he falls much more on the commerce side of the process.
Do his films actually make money though? I mean... who's still funding him after all these years?

Do his films actually make money though? I mean... who's still funding him after all these years?

Apparently so. From what I gathered from his interviews, he has a board of directors who vote on which property is going to be the most profitable to adapt next, and he makes it.

He used to make money with some tax loopholes in the German tax laws, but I think those were fixed a year or two ago.

These days he has some new ways of making money propably. I doubt that they get that much money out of ticket sales and dvd sales that they would make a lot of profit. Propably he has some new loophole in use.

Yeah he made money from tax breaks and German film grants. It was not unlike The Producers.

If that funding has been cut, then I have no idea how he is going to make movies now. Maybe he just built up sufficient momentum and can no longer be stopped, like a huge volcanic boulder rolling towards a school.

The guy really is an execrable lunatic though.

He did an interview with the Loading Ready Run guys a while ago that was really down to earth. He definitely comes across as someone who just loves making films.

However, his pr stunts and his movies are shit. I hope he doesn't beat me up for saying that.

That's interesting, previously I've only ever seen/heard/read him being an advocate of the "my movies make money, leave me alone" school.

Anyway if he likes making films that's good for him. I just wish there was a way to STOP him from making them, or at least prevent him from distributing them to the public.

I think I'm going to have to watch all his movies now. He seems like an incredible (albeit, probably horrible) force of nature. I have to see what all the fuss is about. Will I survive a marathon weekend of trying to watch them all at once?

the worst fate you'll suffer is being bored. his "worst" movies are the best, like bloodrayne, house of the dead, etc. alone in the dark was so, so boring. i couldn't sit through postal.

honestly if you find his movies more offensive to your sensibilities than bruckheimer or michael bay movies then there's no hope for you.

I think I'm going to have to watch all his movies now. He seems like an incredible (albeit, probably horrible) force of nature. I have to see what all the fuss is about. Will I survive a marathon weekend of trying to watch them all at once?

I look forward to your reviews! :tup:

I tried to watch Bloodrayne, but the dialogue and performances were so terrible that I had to stop before I irreversibly damaged my spine through over-cringing.

I've never managed to sit through more than a few minutes of any of the others before getting bored and doing something else.

Uwe Boll is not only making a horrible-looking (second) sequel to the atrocious (I sat through it) Bloodrayne....

Actually...it's the third one that he made now....unbelievable....

Also, he apparently filmed the whole movie somewhere in the outskirts of Zagreb, Croatia (the city I live in). Allegedly, people protested during the filming. Or there were just talks of protesting as a joke...either way...they obviously didn't stop him....

So, even though I haven't seen Bloodrayne 2 (I did see the first one, sadly), I'm going to try and sit through the third one, just to see what he made of it. Terrible as it may be.

Edited by tm_drummer

Just for the record, I love that Uwe Boll exists. If he were shooting in my country, I'd do just about everything to get into one of the shots.