Tanukitsune

I think it's time for me to upgrade my PC... Suggestions?

A few years ago I needed to upgrade my PC so bad... I actually had to buy a new one, but now it's finally starting to show it's age...

This is the computer I bought was a Aspire M3100.

I really need a new graphic card, my DVD-Rom is borked and doesn't read some DVDs that work fine on other PCs and....

Since I bought the computer, it didn't come with Windows, not exactly, it had Vista installed, but it didn't come with a Vista installation CD / DVD, but it does allow me to use it's strange backup system, which I do not want to use.

So I know I need a graphic card, DVD-Drive and Windows Vista/7 and... I'm seriously debating whether to upgrade or get a new PC...:erm:

I'd rather spend a few more Euro if it means I'll have to wait longer for the next upgrade.

Also, I'm fed up from not being able to take part in the Steam deals because my PC can't handle any current PC game, that isn't indie or from Telltale... :(

Edit: The info on that page is wrong for some reason, I have a Radeon HD 2400 no the 1200 the site says!

Edited by Tanukitsune

Before you upgrade your computer, you have to build up strength. Bench-press hard drives until you feel you are ready.

Go for a new machine altogether, pre-built or otherwise. That machine just isn't worth putting more money into for gaming.

I know someone has probably already said this, but I can heartily recommend building your own. There's some stuff to learn, but it's not complicated at all, and if everything goes well – and it might! – you'll have a sweet gaming computer for slightly less money, probably.

I know someone has probably already said this, but I can heartily recommend building your own. There's some stuff to learn, but it's not complicated at all, and if everything goes well – and it might! – you'll have a sweet gaming computer for slightly less money, probably.

The PC I bought didn't have a manual for the motherboard.. I'd have to start from scratch! Is it really viable to make a PC from scratch? I've always had at least one part from the previous PC....

Also I hate dealing with IDE cables!:frusty:

(They still exist, right?):erm:

The PC I bought didn't have a manual for the motherboard.. I'd have to start from scratch! Is it really viable to make a PC from scratch? I've always had at least one part from the previous PC....

Also I hate dealing with IDE cables!:frusty:

(They still exist, right?):erm:

Building a PC from scratch is as easy as finding all the components, making sure there are no conflicts between them (a quick Google search should assure you of this), buying them and putting them together. If you need IDE cables you've done it wrong.

Building a PC from scratch is as easy as finding all the components, making sure there are no conflicts between them (a quick Google search should assure you of this), buying them and putting them together. If you need IDE cables you've done it wrong.

Hmm, I'll go to the store next door to check the component prices...

So.. do motherboards only use SATA cables now? Has it been that long since I made a PC from scratch? :erm:

I think most motherboards now have at most one IDE connector for old time's sake (older optical drives, for example) and four or more SATA connectors.

IDE cables are made of wood, right?

I second the build it yourself suggestion. It's easy. Post on Tom's hardware if you get stuck, there's a wealth of tech experts who are happy to give you advice.

Yeah, build yourself. probably 50%~100% cheaper than getting an alienware at equal specs. it's so simple nowadays - no need to play around with jumpers or bios or anything (unless something goes wrong).

probably 50%~100% cheaper than getting an alienware at equal specs.

I would argue that those numbers are exaggerated. There's money to be saved, sure, but come on.

I would argue that those numbers are exaggerated. There's money to be saved, sure, but come on.

Alienware price for a similar rig to mine £1,164.00, Price I've paid including a couple of upgrades £600.

Wait, wait.... So we now have SATA cables which aren't bothersome....

And I shouldn't have to mess with the motherboard's jumpers unless I'm an overclocker?

Geez! Things have gotten simpler! :eek:

So I only have to look up compatibility issues between components or is that not necessary either? :mock:

I'm debating whether to update just enough to run what's out now... or spend a little more and get everything as powerful as I can afford? :erm:

Alienware price for a similar rig to mine £1,164.00, Price I've paid including a couple of upgrades £600.

Holy fucking Maloney, that's ridiculous. I didn't know anyone overcharged to such a degree. Still, it's not even 50% cheaper...

Wait, wait.... So we now have SATA cables which aren't bothersome....

And I shouldn't have to mess with the motherboard's jumpers unless I'm an overclocker?

Geez! Things have gotten simpler! :eek:

So I only have to look up compatibility issues between components or is that not necessary either? :mock:

I'm debating whether to update just enough to run what's out now... or spend a little more and get everything as powerful as I can afford? :erm:

The way I'd check for compatibility issues would be to decide on a setup, and then google the motherboard and graphics card, for example, just to see if there's anything. If you decide on known brands it'll be readily apparent if there is a known conflict. It's been a while since I actually found something, though – it might not be worth worrying about at all that this point.

As for the price/performance, I might not be the right person to give advice, but if you plot a graph of the price of a given component (video cards and CPU are always like this) from the cheapest to the most expensive, you'll see a huge jump right at the far expensive end. Buy the thing that's right at the foot of this cliff, as it'll be very good, but not inflatedly expensive because of its newity.

Also, if your budget allows, having Windows on an SSD is nice, but it still hurts a tiny bit when you compare the price per MB to the magnetic drives.

Also, have at least 4GB of RAM. Anyone who says 2GB is a shit.

Holy fucking Maloney, that's ridiculous. I didn't know anyone overcharged to such a degree. Still, it's not even 50% cheaper...

Yeah I'm fairly sure he meant 50-100% more expensive, i.e. 150-200% the cost of a self build, opposed to the self build being free to 50% of the cost of the Alienware.

Yeah I'm fairly sure he meant 50-100% more expensive, i.e. 150-200% the cost of a self build, opposed to the self build being free to 50% of the cost of the Alienware.

yeah, that's what I meant. doh

I don't about other countries, but the other computers I found for the same price as the cheapest Alienware were much less powerful?

How new are SDDs? I don't see them on the component price listing at any shop... :blink:

But boy, are they tempting! *drools*

I think sandforce ssds at 60gb cost around $100~120. They're ridiculously fast, even faster than intel's x25m (just before sandforce controllers came out, it used to be the bench to beat).

If you play games with headphones on, and if you play a lot of 3d games where positional audio matters, then getting a decent soundcard is a must. look for ones that say cmss3d or "dolby headphone" or "dts surround sensation"

(demo of cmss3d - watch the video with headphones)

dcB9faNrz_M

but if you only use speakers, onboard audio may be good enough.

Just how much do I need to install Windows 7? Or should I just get Vista?

I finally found some info on them and I guess I could just get one for the S.O., like suggested?

What's with the speaker hate? There are good speakers too, you know.

Anyway, I still don't trust the whole stereo to surround conversion thing. The concept sounds like something similar to what they're doing with older non-3D movies, running them through some algorithm in an attempt to "extract" 3D data from it.

Interestingly (maybe), I played the demo clip first on my speakers, and didn't notice much difference. Both sounded good. Using headphones, though, the thing really made it sounds better, but also weirdly different. The channel balance was improved, it sounded like, but it seems lame that a game should need to have its audio run through a filter to sound better with headphones on. Could they just improve the sound engine? This is not my field of expertise.

Just how much do I need to install Windows 7? Or should I just get Vista?

I finally found some info on them and I guess I could just get one for the S.O., like suggested?

Oh god 7.

What's with the speaker hate? There are good speakers too, you know.

Anyway, I still don't trust the whole stereo to surround conversion thing. The concept sounds like something similar to what they're doing with older non-3D movies, running them through some algorithm in an attempt to "extract" 3D data from it.

Interestingly (maybe), I played the demo clip first on my speakers, and didn't notice much difference. Both sounded good. Using headphones, though, the thing really made it sounds better, but also weirdly different. The channel balance was improved, it sounded like, but it seems lame that a game should need to have its audio run through a filter to sound better with headphones on. Could they just improve the sound engine? This is not my field of expertise.

The problem isn't with speakers... the problem is with headphones. Unless you have 5.1 headphones (expensive, and don't work that well), headphones only output 2 channels. The only positional cue you can get from it is left and right.

Even in stereo, it's not correct: in real life (when you play with speakers), sound coming from left speaker is still audible in your right ear. in fact, the volume of the sound you hear would be about the same, it's just time delayed a bit and that's how your brain decides which direction the sound comes from. not volume. Plus, for true surround gaming, those virtual surround technologies use HRTF (basically biaural mix using human ear shape) to downmix 5.1 or 7.1 audio into stereo, giving you the same (or better, if your speaker setup sucks) experience as speakers.

It makes a world of difference.

edit:

also... as you said, there are games that do its own HRTF for headphone users. Civ4 for example, which is ironic considering the game doesn't need positional audio. Most game developers figure nobody cares about that stuff and leave it to sound cards to take care of it. On-board cards usually don't have such functionality though.

and also... (i probably should've mentioned this first)

Unlike what you suggested, it's not turning stereo sound into surround; it's turning surround into stereo.

Edited by Jayel